PDA

View Full Version : Master Bath refacing

Shawn Pixley
05-03-2010, 12:44 PM
After building the simple table, LOML stated, "Now the rest of the bath looks shabby. You need to do something about that." We she was right. The original cabinets were functional enough, but too much white is too much - white marble floor, white cabinets, white walls, and a white counter top. I decided to extend the material from the table to the cabinets. The cabinets were sound enough so I would just redo the doors a drawers and reface the carcasses.

We live in a modern style house, so traditional style was right out. The line of cabinets was also configured such that the drawer faces were almost flush with the counter overhang. I really wanted to mimic the floating plane of the table on the two doors. Burt after two separate mock-ups with unsatisfactory results, I decided on a non-tapered raised panel. The doors are square edged rail and style with mortise and tenon joints. In any case here is the problem and the before pictures.

Shawn Pixley
05-03-2010, 12:52 PM
The new cabinets are African Mahogany and European Beech like the table. This is progress there is little tuning and final finishing to complete here. It is really hard to photograph in there due to the small space, high degree to reflectivity, and copious windows and sunlight. Now she wants a jewelry / accoutrement cabinet in the corner on top of the counter.

Shawn Pixley
05-03-2010, 12:59 PM
A couple more photos to round things out. All in all, this took me 6 weeks (mostly weekends). The pulls are a template cut scallop with a 14 degree dovetail bit. Pulls would stick out beyond the edge of the counter. The Bath was completely repainted and the towel bar was relocated.

Jim Rimmer
05-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Nice project. Inspires me to tackle our all white master bath.

Joe A Faulkner
05-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Did you paint the existing face frames? With the full overlay doors and drawers very little of the frame is exposed. The color choice goes well with the cabinets. I really ike your drawer pulls.

Dan Friedrichs
05-06-2010, 7:29 PM
Wow - that Af. Mahogany is beautiful...

Shawn Pixley
05-10-2010, 9:24 PM
Thanks to all. No the existing face frames weren't painted they are veneered in QS Beech as well. That was actually the most painful part of the whole project. Up and down on the marble floor for two days - ouch! In terms of skill, this isn't much of a project. I need to start and finish the cabinet that SWMBO wants now. and then I can close the book on this room for a few years.