PDA

View Full Version : Next Tool Question

Peter Gavin
11-18-2004, 9:36 AM
I'm a relative newbie here, but I've really learned a lot and gotten excited about woodworking by hanging out here. I have a very limited budget, but I've managed to cobble together a workshop of hand me downs, loaners and minimal purchases. I've got a table saw, 6" jointer, drill press, grinder and some hand tools. I will be starting a new and improved job soon and may celebrate by buying a new tool. My question is what do you think should be my next purchase? I was thinking about a planer, but is there something you would recomend higher? In order to justify the planer is the abilty to buy rough sawn lumber and save over the big box wrapped in plastic stuff going to help me sell the purchase to SWMBO? How much can I realistically expect to save? I am almost finished with a pair of night stands and I plan on using the tools to make furniture such as a bed set, dining room table and some build ins for the house.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Kent Cori
11-18-2004, 10:14 AM
Peter,

First, if we haven't done so already, welcome to SMC. We are always glad to have new people who ask us our opinions on how they should spend their money. :D

Given the tools you have, I think adding a planer next would be an excellent idea. It offers many advantages:

1. You can get many more wood species in rough form than the pre-planed types form from the Borg.
2. I often found some thickness differences in two boards bought from the same bin at the Borg. They simply aren't very consistent.
3. The planer will let you create any thickness you need.
4. Hardwood is much less expensive if you plane it yourself. My experience is that it costs around 50% of what I would pay at the Borg.

There are two or three really popular "portable" or lunchbox planers out there. The Delta #22-580 and Dewalt 735 are two that do superior jobs and have two speeds with the slower one (more cuts per inch) for final finishing. There are also other lower price models that many of us have and like. Try doing a search for "planer" and you'll find more information and opinions than you may want. :rolleyes:

Peter Gavin
11-18-2004, 10:22 AM
I should also add that I have a router and router table. I don't use them very often though.

Thanks again.

Peter

Ted Shrader
11-18-2004, 10:38 AM
Hi Peter -

Kent's answer pretty much nails the benfits of the additional capabilities of a planer. You will be able to save some money of the BORG's outrageously priced lumber, but the real benefit is the flexibility you will gain by being able to surface the stock to the dimensions you want.

Ted

Maurice Ungaro
11-18-2004, 10:56 AM
Peter,
I have gotten by for a little over two years without a planer, but those days are OVER! Kent is dead on when he states that your have much more selection and costs savings by dimensioning wood yourself. Witha table saw, jointer and a planer, you should be well covered. Eventually, a band saw will have to be inyour shop - why , you ask? Well, because we ALL want to see another guy get more tools!!
Since you are up in the great north, I would imagine that lumber yards are somehwat plentiful. Get to know where your specialty lumber places are, and just start cruising them. You will start to look at wood, and see wonderful projects speaking to you.

Maurice

Ellen Benkin
11-18-2004, 11:56 AM
If you have a table saw, jointer, planer, and drill press the next big item would be a band saw. You can rough cut to size, cut some arcs, and also resaw. Most people suggest a floor model because they take the same space as a table top model. Do a search to find out other specs to look for. A slightly smaller item would be a miter saw. There are lots of choices there, too.

Scott Parks
11-18-2004, 12:13 PM
Oh, and buy more tool than you need:D You'll never say you wish you bought less, but commonly say you wish you had more power!

I vote for the planer. I have the 13" Delta 22-580. Go to your local Lowe's. Go back to the contractor's section and find someone willing to take the time to do some searching. Have them inventory search EVERY Lowe's in a 3 state radius for this planer. If they find one, it will be priced at $229, and have them do a store transfer. Also, this planer has a $30 rebate! The next cheapest price for this planer via internet or mail order is $379! If you find one through Lowe's, it is a steal! I searched a month ago and found 3 of these planers in remote locations of Colorado and Wyoming!

Dick Bringhurst
11-18-2004, 1:06 PM
Buying a planer has got to mean a Dust Collector is not far behind. Dick B.

Betsy Yocum
11-18-2004, 1:12 PM
My vote is for the planer - then a dust collector - then the band saw. However, with that said - the dust collector really should be on your "honey I'd like this for Christmas" list. As anyone can tell you the planer will put out mega chips that really pile up quick on the floor. Also the dc should be connected to the table saw, router table and that "in my future" band saw.

So if I was to go for the health and safety factor - I'd really would say dust collector, planer and then bandsaw.

Betsy

Rich Konopka
11-18-2004, 1:40 PM
How about a nice set of chisels or a nice Lee Valley / Lie Nielsen handplane?

John Miliunas
11-18-2004, 1:49 PM
Pete, you've been given some great info and I can only echo what these fine folks have said. A planer opens up much more potential for you. :) However, Betsy also makes a very sound argument for dust collection! On the planer, I elected to go with the 2-speed Dewalt about a year ago. Sweet! :D

Hey, if you want to get a hands-on and first person test drive, drop me a line. I'm just a bit NW of Spring Green. Heck, I work at the UW and make it there in an hour! Not a bad ride and, depending on when you come, I could even take you over to one of my hardwood suppliers. :) :cool:

larry merlau
11-18-2004, 2:09 PM
and even got john to let you in on some first hand experience, not usually the case for them cheese heads, you even go to go see one of his stashes. man your specail. you should take ever thing john offered andf run he just aint that freindly and that smile will fool ya :D not for the real storty he is a great guy and has helped me a bunch in info so go with faith that he willlead you down that narrow road to tool heaven and wood wonderfil land :D

Mark J Bachler
11-18-2004, 2:09 PM
Welcome fellow cheese head. I agree with everyone else on everything said, including if you ever get up in the Shell Lake (Washburn Co.) area stop on by.

PM me if you do.

Mark

Peter Gavin
11-18-2004, 2:37 PM
Thanks for all your advice and encouragement. I forgot to mention I already have a mitre saw. John, next time I'm heading up towards Spring Green I'll let you know, maybe next summer on the way to a canoe trip. With all the Cheeseheads on this board how come I never hear of any WW shows, swap meets, etc in the area. For now it looks like the way to go is definitely a planer and I promise to prepare for a DC soon. Once I hear for sure on the new job I'll start hinting to SWMBO about the planer. And once I get that I'll start nagging about dust dangers.

Speaking about hard wood purveyors, the only ones I know of are Brunsell Lumber here in Madison and then there is a place called Badger Hardwood about a mile from my mothers house. Does anyone have any info on what to expect from those two? Or any other suggestions in the area? John, where do you get your lumber?

Thanks again

Peter

Bob Smalser
11-18-2004, 3:32 PM
I have a very limited budget, but I've managed to cobble together a workshop of hand me downs, loaners and minimal purchases. I've got a table saw, 6" jointer, drill press, grinder and some hand tools.

Grizzly 12-inch planer and climb into my back pocket, as doing competitive work frugally seems to be my niche.

Then find ya a sawyer, buy your stock in quantity green, air dry it yourself (yes, you can...all the way to final), and don't waste so much as a stick of it. Holler when you have questions.

Sawmills and Lumber

http://www.woodweb.com/Resources/RSSDGsawyers.html

http://www.sawmill-exchange.com/index.htm

http://www.mobilemfg.com/

http://www.baileys-online.com/

http://www.woodmizer.com/welcome.html

http://www.powersources.com/timberwolf/?43,62

Check the phonebook and the mill manufacturers/sellers for portable sawmillers locally. The mill builders are happy to provide names of local guys who own their mills. Local tree service guys will know of them, too. Few advertise.

A lot of them sell their excess lumber on the Wood Exchange, which is also beginning a sawyers directory:

http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/lumber.pl

A whole number of arborists or their employees run their own mills to salvage something more useful than firewood out of the trees they cut....I know 4 arborists here and each one has a mill somewhere in their firm....and they know guys like me with portable mills they sell special logs to.

Logs don't last stored on the ground...they get beetles...usually they are cut immediately and stacked and stickered. All that stuff you hear about leaving your logs on the ground for a year to "season" is bunk...it doesn't season at all, merely degrades....once milled, stacked, stickered and covered, it will last indefinitely that way.

I'm not in the sales business, but I have 100k BF stacked and stickered as we speak....the stack yard consumes a whole half-acre....the lumber is spoken for until my current building projects are done...but I do have excess. 1X9’s 2X4's and 2X2's, for example, are a byproduct of making 2X6's and larger....as I consume the stacks, I will have plenty of 1X9’s and 2X4's to sell and you can fill your pickup bed with 2X2's and culled utility wood while you are here gratis. And I'm not unique.

And personally, I would prefer green wood for my projects even if I didn't have a mill...it's much cheaper...the 5/4 stock will dry over one summer...once airdried it can be moved inside if you need interior wood under 10pct M/C....and it gives you so much more flexibility to use a green board for that difficult bend that fails with kilned stock.

But my experience is limited to my locale...dunno what ground truth is in other regions...but I bet it's worth a shot to check my sources out.

John Miliunas
11-18-2004, 10:05 PM
Speaking about hard wood purveyors, the only ones I know of are Brunsell Lumber here in Madison and then there is a place called Badger Hardwood about a mile from my mothers house. Does anyone have any info on what to expect from those two? Or any other suggestions in the area? John, where do you get your lumber?

Thanks again

Peter

Peter, good luck on your next acquisitions AND on that job! Go get 'em! :)

Brunsell is good, but expen$ive. Don't know about Badger. But, right outside Madison, over by Hwy 113 and M, there's BDC. Very nice fella' runs it and is a real WW, to boot! I've gotten some nice Cherry ply over there, quite reasonable. He also carries assorted hardwoods, including some of the more figured woods. Decent pricing, from what I could see. I get the bulk of my quantity hardwoods from Timbergreen Forestry, just outside of Spring Green and Ocooch Hardwoods, in Richland Center. Both are about 15 min. away and I've found decent deals at both. Jim over at Timbergreen is an expert in Sustainable Forestry and finds ways to use just about every stick he brings in. Floyd over at Ocooch also maximizes his stock by resawing much of his stock for scroll saw enthusiasts, one of which is his wife. Does beautiful work! Also sells scroll saw blades and finished work.

Like I said, stop over some time and I'll give you the grand tour! :) :cool: