PDA

View Full Version : Is my unmarked #8, Type 8 a Stanley?

Russell Sansom
05-03-2010, 5:11 AM
I have a clean, beautiful #8 jointer that I've looked at pretty closely and it sure looks like a Stanley. It ID's as a type 8. But the bed does not contain the Stanley name. I haven't found a definitive picture on the internet to help settle this riddle.
So the question is, did Stanley put out this plane without the "STANLEY" name on the bed? In anticipation...if missing the STANLEY name on the bed means it's some copy brand, what brand might that be? Or were there multiple copy-cats?
Much appreciating the SMC resource and inspiration. Thanks.

scott spencer
05-03-2010, 5:19 AM
Does the lever cap or lateral adjustment say Stanley on them?

jerry nazard
05-03-2010, 6:35 AM
If it is a T8, it will have "7-24-88 Stanley" on lateral adjustment lever. No other markings that say Stanley.

David Weaver
05-03-2010, 8:11 AM
I have a clean, beautiful #8 jointer that I've looked at pretty closely and it sure looks like a Stanley. It ID's as a type 8. But the bed does not contain the Stanley name. I haven't found a definitive picture on the internet to help settle this riddle.
So the question is, did Stanley put out this plane without the "STANLEY" name on the bed? In anticipation...if missing the STANLEY name on the bed means it's some copy brand, what brand might that be? Or were there multiple copy-cats?
Much appreciating the SMC resource and inspiration. Thanks.

Union made planes that looked a lot like early type stanley planes. If stanley isn't written on the lateral adjuster, I would go to walt's page (brass city records) and look through his info for the picture of the lateral adjusters on the frogs. The ends of them are different for the different makers.

Ohio did, too, but they usually have the original thick tapered blades with them, which sets them off from stanley straight out.

Greg Wease
05-03-2010, 10:42 AM
None of the "Bailey" pattern bench planes had "Stanley" cast into the bed. "Bailey" was added in 1902 (Type 9). The Stanley name should appear on the iron and the lateral lever.

Jim Koepke
05-03-2010, 10:58 AM
The only thing that sets the type 8 apart from types 6 & 7 is the letter 'B' on the castings. Often found on the frog, base and lever cap.

The lateral adjuster usually has the Stanley name stamped into it. Stanley was to the best of my knowledge the only manufacturer to use the "boat tiller" style of lateral adjuster.

jim

Russell Sansom
05-03-2010, 8:41 PM
Yes, the adjustment tiller has the "7-24-88 Stanley" on its top and the iron says Stanley as well. Jerry and Greg are saying that the word "Stanley" is not cast onto the bed. So, Hoorah! This is one will probably go up for sale since I already have a Bedrock 608(C) which I wouldn't swap for anything.
Thanks for the help.