PDA

View Full Version : No. 4 - "Tulip" - Should I Finish It?

James Combs
05-02-2010, 11:14 PM
I had intended this to be a natural edge bowl but the edge busted off :mad: and it has a lot of cracks due to just plain rot:(. I am trying to decide whether to finish it or trash it:confused:. I love the form and so does my LOML:cool:. I had to patch a major void in the rotted area so it has already consumed a major amount of CA but it has no finish as yet but has been sanded to 600 grit. What do you folks think?:confused: Keep it or trash it??

In any case I will have to let it dry for a while, it has a lot of moisture in it from being out side in a wet wood pile so I have plenty of time to decide.

This is its best side.

Rotated 180*
BTW it still has the clamp tenon on it so it is sitting in a spray can lid.

Add another 90* and it's worst and patched side shows.

A shot of the inside. Not to bad here.

This shot gives a good view of the patched area and shows the tenon.

James Combs
05-02-2010, 11:28 PM
I thought would post some photos of the break and the patch job.

This shows the areas that broke off. I had already cut away most of the remaining bark when I remembered my camera was handy. The right hand scallop is natural so I use my small band saw and cut two more similar to it for the photos above posting.

Here I am using a Fostner bit to mill out some shavings the same color as the area around the void. I wasn't sure how much I needed.:D

This shows the patch in place. The hole was about and inch long by 1/4" wide by 1/4" deep. (Didn't think to photo the hole first :o)
The shavings had so much moisture in them that the CA actually smoked and the patch got hot from curing fast.

Steve Schlumpf
05-02-2010, 11:33 PM
James - looks like you already did all the hard work! I'd say - go ahead and finish it! Nice form - pretty wood and should look even better with a finish!

We all have pieces with major cracks in them - some we fill, some we leave natural. Just goes hand in hand with working with wood. No big deal!

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2010, 11:40 PM
James I agree that you should finish it. I think a lacquer finish (many light coats) would really set that piece off.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Unique and beautiful form IMHO. I like the wood. I'd finish it.

Mike McAfee
05-03-2010, 2:21 AM
I agree with the others, FINISH IT! I sometimes welcome such problems (on lesser valued wood) just to try new repair tricks that may serve me well in saving a nice piece someday!

Keep us posted and good luck!

MMc

John Keeton
05-03-2010, 6:15 AM
JD, this is going to make a nice looking piece! I bet it does some funny stuff as it dries! Should have some real interest. Great job on the repair!

Thom Sturgill
05-03-2010, 8:56 AM
Definitely finish it. One suggestion though - round out the scallops on top so that you lose the flats. Try a little photo editing first to see if that works for you. This is just a quick and dirty edit.

James Combs
05-03-2010, 9:37 AM
Definitely finish it. One suggestion though - round out the scallops on top so that you lose the flats. Try a little photo editing first to see if that works for you. This is just a quick and dirty edit.

Thanks guys, I will keep it and finish it out. I also like Thom's suggestion.

BTW I forgot to provide the size details. It is 6-3/4" in diameter and 4-1/8" tall.

Mike Willeson
05-03-2010, 9:42 AM
Nice form to the bowl. Be sure to post a picture after finishing.

I didn't see a size listed, but it could make a nice little fruit bowl.

Frank Van Atta
05-03-2010, 11:14 AM

I agree with Thom. In addition to rounding off the top of the rim, I think I would cut the rim down some in the valleys . . . Just a thought.