PDA

View Full Version : Bench dogs, or no???

Michael Dunn
05-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Hey guys,

I am 99% complete with my new table saw-routing center-work station. I will post pics when I am 100% finished. I would like to get your opinions on whether or not I should drill for dogs in my table top.

From a work surface standpoint, I think, definitely YES. From a table saw-routing center standpoint, I have some doubts.

The top is constructed of two pieces of laminated MDF with countertop laminate on the top and bottom. I have two pieces that straddle the table saw and expand its surface from 22 1/4" x 22 3/8" to 37" x 64". The router table is on the right side.

I do not yet have the vices I desire, I am just planning ahead.

Thanx,

shotgunn

Chris Kennedy
05-03-2010, 10:49 AM
From the way you describe the setup, I would want some. On a recent assembly table I built, I decided against bench dog holes, but I did install some t-track so I can attach hold down clamps and the like. I love it.

Cheers,

Chris

Neil Brooks
05-03-2010, 11:02 AM
"I do not yet have the vices I desire,"

On the other hand, I have too many to count :D

Michael Dunn
05-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Well, then, give me some!!!

"I do not yet have the vices I desire,"

On the other hand, I have too many to count :D

Kyle Iwamoto
05-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Taking a poll? I'd say no.

I would definetly go with T-tracks. They are more versatile than holes in the bench IMO. You can place the stop or clamp virtually anywhere you want. More costly, yes. If you put 2 tracks in, you can even make a movable fence for your router.

Prashun Patel
05-03-2010, 11:52 AM
+1 for Kyle's suggestion. Also, with an MDF top, dog holes can widen over time. If they do widen, short stops like the Rockler's won't work well (DAMHIKT...).

T-tracks much more versatile.

Michael Dunn
05-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Good call!!! I actually have more than 30' of T Track laying around!!! Some from Rockler and some from Hartville. I already have a movable T square style router table fence too.

Should I run the tracks lengthwise across the table or depthwise???

Taking a poll? I'd say no.

I would definetly go with T-tracks. They are more versatile than holes in the bench IMO. You can place the stop or clamp virtually anywhere you want. More costly, yes. If you put 2 tracks in, you can even make a movable fence for your router.

Michael Dunn
05-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Again, another good call. I LOVE this forum!!!

T-Tracks it is!!!

+1 for Kyle's suggestion. Also, with an MDF top, dog holes can widen over time. If they do widen, short stops like the Rockler's won't work well (DAMHIKT...).

T-tracks much more versatile.