PDA

View Full Version : New here and would like some advice

Dan Ashlin
05-02-2010, 9:48 PM
Hey everyone! I'm new here and wanted to say hi. Been lurking for a little while, but finally decided to post. I recently purchased an engraving business
here in my home town when the previous owner decided to retire. My background is in graphic design and I keep thinking there's a lot of stuff I can do with the laser engraver that I got as part of the business. Is there anything I can do to supplement the businesses income with the engraver outside of waiting for someone to walk in the door? Ideally, I'd like to make some products that would be geared toward eBay or Internet business. Thanks in advance!

Dan

Joe Pelonio
05-02-2010, 9:51 PM
Some members here are making money that way and hopefully will give you tips, but many of us are using the laser as an additional tool for a sign business, or selling laser engraved signs and cut letters to other sign businesses. That provides steady work though the wholesale price is less than you would get retail.

Larry Bratton
05-03-2010, 11:53 AM
I agree with Joe.
When I first got my machine, I labored under the assumption that people would just jump all over the output. Ain't so. However, it is a great TOOL and when used in conjunction with other processes, sign making, contract cutting etc you can make some money with it. After owning one for about 3 years now, I am convinced that making a living with only output from the laser is nearly impossible.

Martin Boekers
05-03-2010, 12:11 PM
With a background in graphic designs, I would go through the posts by a fellow creeker, Onar. He does incredible work.

He is geared more to interior design, but it's something to think about.

If you could link up with a few interior designers you might find a nice niche there for accent pieces.

Marty