PDA

View Full Version : Acacia Hollow Form

George Guadiane
05-02-2010, 7:07 PM
Chris Stolicky and his FIL Michael came over the other day so that Chris could work on hollowing with the Monster articulated arm I have (I should get a commission for the next couple that get sold :p)... Of course, he really liked it and worked it REALLY WELL.
Michael (sorry, I forgot his last name) brought me a very nice piece of Acacia from out West - forgot where exactly. MAN was the wood dry. I think the trees out there die of thirst.
Anyway, the wood turned like a dream on the outside and fought me a bit on the inside, but I went all 12 rounds and won the decision!
Sanded to 600 and buffed a bit.
The piece is 8 1/2 inches high by 7 1/2 inches in diameter.

As Always, All Comments, Critiques and/or Questions Welcome.

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2010, 7:23 PM
That is a beauty George. Really pretty wood. Great form.

John Keeton
05-02-2010, 7:30 PM
Well done, George! The contrast with the heart and sap is striking on this piece.

Mike Minto
05-02-2010, 8:40 PM
fantastic! really nice form, and looks like a piece of pottery with the swirling colors.

charlie knighton
05-02-2010, 9:16 PM
very nice....

Baxter Smith
05-02-2010, 9:33 PM
Neat looking wood and nice HF. I enjoy seeing turnings of wood I have only heard the names of.:)

Roland Martin
05-02-2010, 9:47 PM
Very interesting wood with nice variations. The form is nicely done.

Frank Van Atta
05-02-2010, 9:50 PM
Very beautiful piece.

David E Keller
05-02-2010, 9:54 PM
Beautiful wood and form. They've got some great looking acacia trees out west, huh?

One question: Any reason you didn't sand the inner aspect of the opening at the top?

alex carey
05-02-2010, 10:06 PM
very pretty, love it.

Steve Schlumpf
05-02-2010, 10:10 PM
George - great form! Very pretty wood - love the variety of color!

Also have to say that I really like the photos! Very clean!

Doug W Swanson
05-03-2010, 8:16 AM
Very nice piece. The color is amazing....

Doug

George Guadiane
05-03-2010, 8:53 AM
Thank you to everyone for your kind comments.

Beautiful wood and form. They've got some great looking acacia trees out west, huh?

One question: Any reason you didn't sand the inner aspect of the opening at the top?

David,
I'm going to have to go back and do that... As I said, the insides fought me a bit and I just didn't do as nice of a job as I should have at the opening.

Thom Sturgill
05-03-2010, 9:06 AM
Very nice form and the wood is stunning.

Jon Finch
05-03-2010, 9:35 AM
Very nice looking piece!

Quick question. I've only turned a single endgrain piece and it didn't contain the pith. Is it common to leave the pith in the base or do people drill it out and replace it with a plug? Or does it even matter?

George Guadiane
05-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Very nice looking piece!

Quick question. I've only turned a single endgrain piece and it didn't contain the pith. Is it common to leave the pith in the base or do people drill it out and replace it with a plug? Or does it even matter?

I don't know what anyone else does, but for me,

it depends.

This piece of wood didn't have any appreciable splitting at the pith, so I decided to leave it... Now I did use CA glue to seal it in the final stages of turning, just in case. Other, larger pieces or pieces where I had seen cracking, I drilled out the pith.

Jon Finch
05-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks George!

Brian Effinger
05-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Pleasing form and beautiful wood. Great job George. :)

Chris Stolicky
05-09-2010, 8:59 AM
Can you tell I have been away from SMC for a bit?

You're welcome, George. And, thank you, for pushing me towards the hollowing world!! :rolleyes: Not only is it a vortex, but its also a black hole....

I need to try to take some pics of the form we made. My light tent is a little small though.

I am glad the wood came out so nice. The tree came down in a wind storm back in January in the greater Queen Creek, AZ area. It sat, ends sealed, in the AZ desert until it recently made the trek up here. It is a kind of Acacia.

I have a couple of smaller bowl blanks of that wood I still need to rough out.