PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Brake, Tersa knife..

Rick Fisher
05-02-2010, 5:13 PM
Hmm..

I have to flip the blades on my Jointer.. First time.. They Tersa, so this should be simple ?

Problem is that the Jointer has a magnetic brake .. which means I cannot rotate the cutterhead by hand..

Not really sure what to do here, but I figured someone else must have this set-up.

From what I gather, the magnetic brake is disengaged by electricity.. which means disconnecting the power is not the solution..

Anyone done this before ?

Thomas love
05-02-2010, 5:15 PM
Maybe unplug and loosen belts, Just guessing

Chip Lindley
05-02-2010, 5:53 PM
Rick, may I ask what brand/model your jointer is? No owner's manual to refer to?

No doubt the electro-brake is part of the motor. Loosen the belt(s), as mentioned, and the cutterhead should be free to rotate.

There is certainly a way to turn your cutterhead for knife-changing. That is just part of using a jointer.

Rod Sheridan
05-02-2010, 6:11 PM
Hmm..

I have to flip the blades on my Jointer.. First time.. They Tersa, so this should be simple ?

Problem is that the Jointer has a magnetic brake .. which means I cannot rotate the cutterhead by hand..

Not really sure what to do here, but I figured someone else must have this set-up.

From what I gather, the magnetic brake is disengaged by electricity.. which means disconnecting the power is not the solution..

Anyone done this before ?

Rick, if it has an electrically operated mechanical brake, there will be a method of powering the brake, without starting the motor.

Check your manual for instructions, normally it is a small switch.

Once you power up the brake you rotate the cutterhead to the correct spot and unplug the machine.

Regards, Rod.

Rick Fisher
05-02-2010, 6:12 PM
Hey Chip..

No owners manual .. at least I dunno where it is.. :o

I got it done, but did not like it .. It seems that you can turn another switch, turn on the machine.. and you get a mild hum.. but the cutter doesn't turn, at that time, you can turn the cutterhead.. hit the power off switch and it locks to the position its left in..

I used a pencil eraser to turn rotate the cutterhead.. It goes against everything in me to turn the cutterhead manually with the power turned on..

I will call Laguna next week and ask for the proper procedure.. Maybe that is it?

Its a Griggio PF-310 ..

Should add.. once I figured out what all the switches did ... It took me 5 minutes to change 4 blades.. Pretty cool..