PDA

View Full Version : O.K. Here is a slightly better tool gloat...

Michael Dunn
05-02-2010, 4:58 PM
After being completely scared out of my mind about repairing my recent air compressor purchase I decided to just look for a new tank. Roofs blown off, limbs blown off... Call me panzy, but that's not for me.

I obviously did not want to spend a lot of cash so it had to be used and in good shape. I searched CL some more and found a used CM 12 gal 1.5HP horizontal compressor. I inquired about it. I asked if it was loud, the lady said it was VERY loud. I was disappointed, but went for a look anyway.

Long story short, it is NOT loud at all. In fact I had a conversation with her husband while it was filling up. We didn't even have to talk very loud at all.

I paid $35 for it. Now the dillema, do I swap tanks and use the sanborn motor, or just use the CM?

I say why bother changing it right? Why did I even ask, I now say to myself.

shotgunn

Chip Lindley
05-02-2010, 6:19 PM
Michael, if it ain't broke....

If your new gloat performs well, don't bother swapping motors. Save your old motor as a spare! Ya jus neva know... You can peddle the old pump which still works good for $20 on CL. (give them the old leaky tank with it) That gives you a $15 *new* compressor!

Michael Dunn
05-02-2010, 6:30 PM
Acutally, the regulator (or just the regulator knob) does not seem to be working... DOH!!! Naturally the pressure is set at ZERO!!! My new one is the Sears Craftsman 919.176210. I have just downloaded the manual and cannot find anyhting in it about the regulator.

It just spins and spins and spins. Not very easily though. The knob comes off (which I think is normal) There is a 'nipple' (I guess we can call it that...) inside there. When I press that in, I get some air pressure...

Any clues???

shotgunn

If your new gloat performs well, don't bother swapping motors. Save your old motor as a spare! Ya jus neva know... You can peddle the old pump which still works good for $20 on CL. (give them the old leaky tank with it) That gives you a $15 *new* compressor!

Michael Dunn
05-02-2010, 8:40 PM
I just got off of the phone with him. I'm going to pick up $20 from him. $15 compressor. Now I just have to find/fix the regulator.

David Nelson1
05-02-2010, 8:48 PM
Acutally, the regulator (or just the regulator knob) does not seem to be working... DOH!!! Naturally the pressure is set at ZERO!!! My new one is the Sears Craftsman 919.176210. I have just downloaded the manual and cannot find anyhting in it about the regulator.

It just spins and spins and spins. Not very easily though. The knob comes off (which I think is normal) There is a 'nipple' (I guess we can call it that...) inside there. When I press that in, I get some air pressure...

Any clues???

shotgunn

TRy pulling the regulator knob out and then turning it.

Robert Salas
05-02-2010, 9:00 PM
Ha! You got a refund via a CL purchase!? WTG!

I may have to have you negotiate a car purchase for us soon. :)
I would like to pay $25k.. but then get back 57%. :D

Michael Dunn
05-02-2010, 9:27 PM
I tried that, the knob came off. It looks as is there is supposed to be some sort of pin mechanism to hold the knob on. If this is correct, the pin is missing.

When I pull the knob off there is a silver circular part that fits through the knob when it is on. If I gently push this is (with the knob off) I am able to blow air, with my blower attachment. Of course it is not the full PSI, I don't even see the guage increasing either.

Hmmmm...

TRy pulling the regulator knob out and then turning it.

Michael Dunn
05-02-2010, 9:29 PM
Pretty sweet huh? I just hope I can get the darn thing working. I don't care if I got it for free. Right now it's just taking up valuable shop space.

That would be pretty cool to get a deal like that on a car...

Ha! You got a refund via a CL purchase!? WTG!

I may have to have you negotiate a car purchase for us soon. :)
I would like to pay $25k.. but then get back 57%. :D

Van Huskey
05-02-2010, 9:35 PM
A refund on CL..... wow. Pretty soon your shop will look like the Sanford & Son of conpressors! The way to truely make this gloatworthy is cobble together a working compressor with just what you bought on CL!

Michael Dunn
05-02-2010, 9:39 PM
Yup, that's the goal. To look like S&S that is, LOL!!! Jk... I do have three compressors now. I do certainly hope to have this Sears CM one working a.s.a.p.

A refund on CL..... wow. Pretty soon your shop will look like the Sanford & Son of conpressors! The way to truely make this gloatworthy is cobble together a working compressor with just what you bought on CL!

Chip Lindley
05-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Doesn't your old leaky 'pressor have a working regulator? Swap 'em out! With a guy as lucky as you, all fittings will be the same!

Michael Dunn
05-03-2010, 3:53 AM
I seemed to have fixed it. I pulled the knob off again and tried gently twisting the meta part with a small pair of channel locks. I can now fully adjust the output pressure.

However, the regulator seems to be leaking air. It seems to stop in some positions of the knob, but then I slowly start to hear it again.

When the tank is full @ 100 lbs. I do not hear any air leaking when the regulator is fully open (100psi). I only hear it when I set it for less than 100psi.

Hmmm...