PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Burl NE HF

Baxter Smith
05-02-2010, 3:28 PM
When I cut some dead and rotting cherry burl a couple of weeks ago, I found the remains of one tree lying on the ground. Almost everything had rotted away except for the burl. The remaining wood on either side was only about 2 inches around. Decided at the last minute to cut it out and bring it home.
After looking at it for a while I thought it might make an interesting NE turning. I thought of doing another bowl in a bowl but the wood looked okay once I got below most of the surface checking, so ended up with this.
I liked the texture and blackness of the outside of the burl so left it pretty thick at ½ inch. The inside of the HF is about 5/16. Because it seemed pretty dry I hoped it would be resistant to cracking at that thickness.

Since it was the first dry HF I have done, I thought it was time to try a finial. I didn’t have a clue about doing one so ordered a couple of Cindy Drozda DVD’s. A day later I found John Keeton had asked Steve Schlumpf to forward me the two John had purchased then loaned out. I just had to agree to post my attempt. :eek: After watching Johns two, I was sure of two things, both my eyesight and skills were lacking!

Other projects were going on this week but Friday night I sharpened my 3/8 spindle gouge as shown in the DVD and made a few practice cuts on a piece of firewood. A 6 inch round stick of firewood isn't like a finial though!:)
Thought something simple and black would be appropriate so I drew a shape on an index card as a starting point and cut it out. Went to the firewood pile and split out a 2x2 cherry blank to practice on yesterday afternoon.

My original thought was to do couple of practice ones, refine the shape, then do one in Holly and ink it black. At some point I realized I didn’t have much of a clue as to what to refine it too, so I sanded it and inked it with a sharpie.
A few random thoughts: The onion was supposed to be more tapered at the top but I was cutting uphill and took off too much. It was also supposed to be about 3/4 of an inch shorter as well but I started shaping the doodad at the top before I had marked off where on the blank it was supposed to be. The onion needs to be up a bit higher. I couldn't do much with the space below using a 3/8 inch gouge. Its too big/heavy. Etc, etc...

Any and all suggestions as to how to improve both the shape for this finial, and as to what might be a better shaped finial for this kind of piece are appreciated!
Thanks!

8 ¼ x 5x1/2 x ½ finished with AO

The next dry piece of wood is already shaped on the lathe and waiting to be hollowed so I may have to try this again!:)

David E Keller
05-02-2010, 3:50 PM
That's a really pretty piece of wood, Baxter. I really like the overall form of the burl piece. Great color and a great finish.

The finial base is a bit heavy visually, but I like the overall shape. Perhaps the whole thing could be a bit more slender/delicate.

Frank Van Atta
05-02-2010, 4:10 PM
Beautiful piece; I think the finial is just right.

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2010, 4:31 PM
Beautiful piece out of some beautiful wood Baxter. Well done.

Robert McGowen
05-02-2010, 4:41 PM
Nice job, Batxer. I like the shape of the finial and it appears to fit the overall look of the piece. The only part I am not sure about is the base of the finial. It looks more like a cork plugging up the hole in the hollow form than a delicate finial that flows into the shape of the hollow form. Of course, that is just my impression. Overall, it is very nice work.

Keith Burns
05-02-2010, 4:52 PM
Excellent work Baxter ! On both the form and the finial. I agree with Robert on the lid portion but overall you did great. Better watch out John Keeton.

Tony De Masi
05-02-2010, 5:02 PM
Very nice piece Baxter. Nice shape on it too.

Tony

Leo Van Der Loo
05-02-2010, 5:12 PM
Baxter you really pulled it off, that is one nice piece, The angles on the finial really work, and no I don't think it is too heavy either going with this piece that has not very delicate thin walls, I wouldn't touch it at all, it does go well IMO.
I also took a copy of it and it will be inspirational for when I will attempt a HF like this, as I have wanted to do one for a number of years, but didn't get A roundtoit yet :o.
Yes a very nice piece baxter, thanks for showing :D :)

Steve Schlumpf
05-02-2010, 5:14 PM
Baxter - really nice work - especially on the hollow form!

I think you did pretty good on the finial! Robert did bring up a good point as far as continuing the curve of the form so it doesn't look like it is sitting on top.

To me - the most challenging part of turning a finial is what to do as far as a design! You want it fancy, but don't want to copy anyone. You want it detailed but not so much that it appears busy. You want all the elements to work together and not be too thin, too thick, too short, too long, etc.

I think for your first finial - you did a really nice job on it!

Looking forward to seeing more of your hollow forms and finials!

Kevin J Lalonde
05-02-2010, 5:55 PM
Nice job Baxter. Really pretty piece. I too think the base of the finial needs to flow better. Your gonna be the cherry burl pro after your done with all this wood you've acquired. Looking forward to your next post!

John Keeton
05-02-2010, 6:09 PM
Baxter, that is one great looking piece!!! I love the burl, and you did good on the finial! The black really picks up on the NE of the burl. You sure got a nice finish on it and the form, too. Really, really nice!!

You need to get some African Blackwood, and try some finials with that. It is a real pleasure to turn.

charlie knighton
05-02-2010, 9:17 PM
very nice....

Roland Martin
05-02-2010, 9:37 PM
That is a great looking burl you found Baxter. I really like the form & finish on the HF and also think the finial is awesome. Not having turned for very long, it amazes me that a 3/8" gouge could produce such detail. Really nice work Baxter!

Baxter Smith
05-03-2010, 12:13 PM
The finial base is a bit heavy visually, but I like the overall shape. Perhaps the whole thing could be a bit more slender/delicate.
Thanks David, I agree.

The only part I am not sure about is the base of the finial. It looks more like a cork plugging up the hole in the hollow form than a delicate finial that flows into the shape of the hollow form.
Darn Robert, how did you know?
Must be all those years of undercover work!;):)

Excellent work Baxter ! On both the form and the finial. I agree with Robert on the lid portion ...

Thanks Keith. Attaching a finial to this was somewhat of an afterthought. I wasn't sure how to flow a flattened top into the finial with the hole I had. Maybe if I had just flipped over the design of the base it would have been a smoother transition. Your ebony HF from yesterday was a great example of how to deal with a flattened top!

The angles on the finial really work, and no I don't think it is too heavy either going with this piece that has not very delicate thin walls, I wouldn't touch it at all, it does go well IMO.

Thanks Leo, since I didn't know how to make it flow, I just tried to make the lower part of each ornamentation somewhat match the outside shape of the piece.

To me - the most challenging part of turning a finial is what to do as far as a design! You want it fancy, but don't want to copy anyone. You want it detailed but not so much that it appears busy. You want all the elements to work together and not be too thin, too thick, too short, too long, etc.

Thanks Steve, it must take an awful lot of experience to visualize the flow of these without first sketching something on a piece of paper, then cutting it out to see how it fits.

You need to get some African Blackwood, and try some finials with that. It is a real pleasure to turn.
Thanks John, I have never noticed any laying in the woods around here. I will have to keep a sharper eye out!;):D

Not having turned for very long, it amazes me that a 3/8" gouge could produce such detail.
I agree Roland, even though this isn't very detailed. The modified way this was sharpened made a difference. If I could do a better job of sharpening it would have helped.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to comment. I tried to incorporate your suggestions into the one I finished this morning.

Baxter

Brian Effinger
05-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Beautiful piece, Baxter. :)

Leaving the black NE was a good decision. It makes the colors richer, and compliments the finial. As for the finial, I think it is great. I agree with the comment that on a nice thick walled piece, a thicker, and simpler final is appropriate. A delicate finial would have looked out of place. I also like the "bowl" that the finial sets on. It just seems to go well with the overall feel of the piece, and is different.

Well done. :)