PDA

View Full Version : good source for sheet vinyl magnet material?

David Fairfield
05-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi, have to put numbers on a few cars for a charity rally. I figured I'd do something a little outrageous for the team, skull and crossbones sorta thing. :D So magnetic sheet would be ideal, since its removable. Where should I look?

Thanks as always :)

Dave

Joe Pelonio
05-02-2010, 1:40 PM
If you have a resale license you can buy it wholesale from any sign supply,
I like Fellers, which has a local outlet, but we have 4 others also in Seattle so I can compare prices. Normally I get the best price by buying a whole roll, 30 mil 24" x 10' or 24"x25' for $35/125.

If there are none near you then try the online sources like Beacongraphics or signwarehouse. If you have no resale license there may be sources on the net that sell retail. It's heavy (shipping cost) so best to find it local.

Rich Fleming
05-02-2010, 10:05 PM
I bought mine from a local sign shop in town.. On a side note/question.. Can you laser cut the magnetic material.?? I never actually even thought of trying till now

Rich

Joe Pelonio
05-02-2010, 10:23 PM
You can but shouldn't. It's covered with vinyl (the colored or white surface) and contains PVC. If you are going to laser cut it you will need to get some that's plain, no vinyl just magnetic, and apply polyester film or paint it. It actually doesn't cut all that well anyway, the edges will be a little rough.
It can be scored on a vinyl plotter then broken apart, but for shapes die cutting it is best.

The plain is probably not available at sign shops, but will have to be bought at an industrial supply like McMaster-Carr, which only has up to 3" width, or Flexmag, or Adamsmagnetic which sell it with vinyl but also without.

James Rambo
05-03-2010, 1:25 PM
This is what I have used for a couple of car magnets. From Johnsons Plastics, Rowmarks LaserMag
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/johnsonplastics/engraving2010/#/202

Joe Pelonio
05-03-2010, 1:48 PM
Lasermag is laserable and would work for this as long as the vehicles are not running fast.

It is 1/3 thinner and has a lot less magnetic power than the 30 mil normally used for vehicles, it's meant more for refrigerator magnets.

Probably the best solution is to use repositionable plotter cut vinyl. It requires 40 lbs of squeegie pressure to pop the microbead adhesive, if you apply it gently it will stick for the event then easily peel off after.

Rich Fleming
05-04-2010, 12:58 AM
All good information to know. As of now I cut the magnetic material out by hand.