PDA

View Full Version : Safety Glasses

Jerry Bruette
05-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Finally reached the magic age where I need to use safety glasses with the bi-focal cheaters. That's not the big problem though, when I clean the darn things they become a dust magnet. It's especially bad when sanding or cutting MDF.

Any of you folks have a special potion for cleaning glasses that won't leave a static charge?

Jerry

Jamie Cowan
05-02-2010, 11:19 AM
I've never tried it, because I've never thought of it unitl just now--but you might try running a dryer sheet over them. I've used them to get static out of hair, clothes, etc. Might work on the glasses.

Brendan Plavis
05-02-2010, 11:45 AM
My best solution is that I never wear them... now someone will say that its dangerous... but so is crossing the street...

But I would try a dryer sheet... it cant hurt...

Chris Kennedy
05-02-2010, 11:51 AM
My best solution is that I never wear them... now someone will say that its dangerous... but so is crossing the street...

Ah, youth -- that feeling of immortality.

It is a solution -- far from the best. Wear them.

Jamie Buxton
05-02-2010, 11:52 AM
My solution is glass lenses. They don't attract dust, and don't scratch as easily as plastic does. You can't get glass lenses at the local lumberyard. You get them from an optician. Another good thing about safety glasses from an optician is that they offer frames in a variety of shapes and sizes, so you can get something that really fits you.

You might be concerned about glass near your eyes, but safety glasses have been made with glass lenses forever. They have been, and still are, certified by OSHA.

Brendan Plavis
05-02-2010, 12:14 PM
That is true, considering that most lenses like that are made with a safety glass that doesnt shatter every where when hit... Another thing to consider is polycarb lenses(like they use in little kids glasses.) That way it wont break period. And to my knowledge they dont scratch easy(I have a piece attached to my fence, since its smooth, and it doesnt appear to have any scratches, and I have used it to push logs through...

Britt Lifsey
05-02-2010, 12:16 PM
My solution is glass lenses. They don't attract dust, and don't scratch as easily as plastic does. You can't get glass lenses at the local lumberyard. You get them from an optician. Another good thing about safety glasses from an optician is that they offer frames in a variety of shapes and sizes, so you can get something that really fits you.

You might be concerned about glass near your eyes, but safety glasses have been made with glass lenses forever. They have been, and still are, certified by OSHA.

I got a pair of prescription safety glasses years ago when we first started renovating our house. I really liked using them when working on house and in workshop. Since I wear glasses all the time anyway, they were convenient and kept my "dress glasses" from getting scratched, etc. They looked pretty much like normal eyeglasses and came with snap-on "hoods" for side protection.

The prescription eventually became outdated and frames wore out. I have an eye exam first of June...might get another pair :cool:

Jim Terrill
05-02-2010, 12:28 PM
That is true, considering that most lenses like that are made with a safety glass that doesnt shatter every where when hit... Another thing to consider is polycarb lenses(like they use in little kids glasses.) That way it wont break period. And to my knowledge they dont scratch easy(I have a piece attached to my fence, since its smooth, and it doesnt appear to have any scratches, and I have used it to push logs through...

Polycarb (in the thickness used for safety glasses) will crack given the right impact. I have a few pairs that can attest to that point. The key is that they cracked and lessened the impact that would have otherwise hit my eye. Anyone who tells you otherwise is unrealistic. And polycarb scratches much easier than glass.

Brendan Plavis
05-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Polycarb (in the thickness used for safety glasses) will crack given the right impact. I have a few pairs that can attest to that point. The key is that they cracked and lessened the impact that would have otherwise hit my eye. Anyone who tells you otherwise is unrealistic. And polycarb scratches much easier than glass.

It does scratch easier? I thought that was Plexi. Lexan I believe doesnt... or maybe its the other way around...

Jim Terrill
05-02-2010, 12:46 PM
It does scratch easier? I thought that was Plexi. Lexan I believe doesnt... or maybe its the other way around...

Lexan is a brand name of polycarbonate.

Dave Verstraete
05-02-2010, 12:53 PM

Brendan
I hope that you are just kidding us:eek:. You use a push stick on a bandsaw...why...because you want to keep your hands. Put your safety glasses on, young man! There..I did my "old Man" duty. As a young diemaker, I saw what not wearing safety glasses does after working with a person that lost his eye to a high speed air grinding wheel.

Glen Butler
05-02-2010, 1:00 PM
Both Acrylic (plexiglass) and poly-carb (lexan) scratch easily, though there are special coatings that will increase scratch resistence.

You could try some anti-static wipes and see if that will help with dust collection. I have my doubts.

How does one wear a dust make, safety glasses, and ear protection all at the same time? They just don't seem to fit together well. Does any company make a lightweight complete kit that fits together well?

Kev Godwin
05-02-2010, 4:19 PM
Jerry,
Back to your original question....

You can purchase several different brands of anti-static lens cleaners. You can buy it in bottles from your local eye-care centers and sometimes you can find it in the big box retail centers - especially the ones that have eye-care centers in them. Just make sure to get the ones that say "anti-static", not just the type that is only a lens cleaner.

I use a brand I get from a sporting goods store that many hunters use for their shooting glasses. My anti-static stuff is also an "anti-fogging" formula. Many hunters get in and out of their vehicles and don't want to have to deal with fogging on their lenses.

I use this type because I like to knock down larger sheets outside (in colder weather) with a circular saw before bringing it into my shop. Mine stops the static dust as well as the fogging.
Kev

Brendan Plavis
05-02-2010, 4:23 PM
Brendan
I hope that you are just kidding us:eek:. You use a push stick on a bandsaw...why...because you want to keep your hands. Put your safety glasses on, young man! There..I did my "old Man" duty. As a young diemaker, I saw what not wearing safety glasses does after working with a person that lost his eye to a high speed air grinding wheel.

Im not kidding, I dont use them, because I find, that they obstruct my vision too much to safely work. I have a pair of high quality safety glasses I use for shooting, even those I found to be too hindering, it just didnt permit me to feel like I could see what I was doing sufficently, to do it safely. I find they often ruin my depth perception, something you kinda need when advancing a piece, as well as your hands, toward a blade, spinning several thousand rpms/fpms...

Maybe I have developed an annoyance to them, because my mother made me wear these Chem-Lab goggles when I was younger to use a drill... :( But maybe thats why I cannot stand them.... leading to the feeling of an obstructed view.

And its not because I think I am invincable either. I have had a few close calls. The other night I was cutting something on the CMS, the cut off(it was a small piece of ply(yea, i know bad idea, but I didnt have the BS yet..) flew up and hit me between the eyes... that shook me up a tad... As well as nails that have shot back up at me when I have hit them, et cetera.

Anyway, that just my explaination of why I choose to violate that safety rule, if you will.

Jim Terrill
05-02-2010, 4:30 PM
Im not kidding, I dont use them, because I find, that they obstruct my vision too much to safely work. I have a pair of high quality safety glasses I use for shooting, even those I found to be too hindering, it just didnt permit me to feel like I could see what I was doing sufficently, to do it safely. I find they often ruin my depth perception, something you kinda need when advancing a piece, as well as your hands, toward a blade, spinning several thousand rpms/fpms...

Maybe I have developed an annoyance to them, because my mother made me wear these Chem-Lab goggles when I was younger to use a drill... :( But maybe thats why I cannot stand them.... leading to the feeling of an obstructed view.

And its not because I think I am invincable either. I have had a few close calls. The other night I was cutting something on the CMS, the cut off(it was a small piece of ply(yea, i know bad idea, but I didnt have the BS yet..) flew up and hit me between the eyes... that shook me up a tad... As well as nails that have shot back up at me when I have hit them, et cetera.

Anyway, that just my explaination of why I choose to violate that safety rule, if you will.

Then can you preface your posts with a disclaimer that you knowingly disregard general rules of shop safety, so that someone doesn't try to follow your advice and lose an eye. If you seriously think that you can't see with safety glasses, you need to look at higher quality glasses. Not the $.50 cheapos from HF, but the quality ones that tradesmen wear. I used the same safety glasses for construction and working in a lab. There isn't much that requires the perfect vision and precision than working in a lab with micropipettors, so I'm going to call BS on that one.

Dave Cav
05-02-2010, 4:34 PM
Any of you folks have a special potion for cleaning glasses that won't leave a static charge?

Jerry

I polish mine every day or so with cheap furniture polish (like Pledge but from the Dollar Store). It helps keep the static down and makes them easier to clean; sawdust just blows off.

Fred Belknap
05-02-2010, 4:43 PM
Brendan I think if you wear the glasses in non dangerous situations that your brain will adjust to the depth perception thing in a very short while. I had the same problem when I started wearing them and I worked construction work. going up and down ladders for a while was a bother but my brain soon adjusted. Give it a try.

Jim Terrill
05-02-2010, 5:00 PM
High quality means different things to different people. Then again so does common sense. It's what you don't know that will kill you, but hey, everyone must be wrong when they try to guide you on the right path. A bit of advice- people offer advice because they have learned by doing. I always wear safety glasses because I had a chunk of Douglas Fir flip up when another worker was cutting a beam with a beam saw, it deflected off another wall and it me squarely in the glasses. The glasses cracked, I was fine. Trying to make sure that others don't take excessive or needless risks.

Chris Kennedy
05-02-2010, 5:20 PM
You can get lens cleaning cloths, which don't impart a static charge. There are also anti-static wipes you can buy at optical stores. They are fantastic. I can't remember their name right now, but they came in single use packets.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-02-2010, 5:48 PM

HA HA
when I was a stupit kinder I was playing with two hammers. Whacking 'em together and grooving out on the sound and feel.

Then a chip came off one and buried itself near one of my eyes.
Fortune didn't have to tell me twice.

Jerry Bruette
05-02-2010, 6:50 PM
Thanks for all the good replies. I didn't know that the anti-static wipes were available...never needed glasses before.

Young Mr. Plavis I'd like you to put an eye patch over one of your eyes...your choice which one...and see how your depth perception is. Someday the big "S" will fade off your chest and you'll realize people are not bullet proof.

Please put your safety glasses on and wear your ear protection.

Jerry

Brendan Plavis
05-02-2010, 7:34 PM
Thanks for all the good replies. I didn't know that the anti-static wipes were available...never needed glasses before.

Young Mr. Plavis I'd like you to put an eye patch over one of your eyes...your choice which one...and see how your depth perception is. Someday the big "S" will fade off your chest and you'll realize people are not bullet proof.

Please put your safety glasses on and wear your ear protection.

Jerry

I am well aware of the risks, and as I said, have had a few close calls. But, it is my decision that i feel safer without them. As well as ear protection: I feel that being able to completely hear the machine is vital, since those little sounds can tell you whether to press the off button, or to run for the nearest solid object to take cover behind.

This is all I am going to say, just because I am younger than most of you, doesnt mean that I lack the commonsense you have.

Rod Sheridan
05-02-2010, 8:07 PM
I am well aware of the risks, and as I said, have had a few close calls. But, it is my decision that i feel safer without them. As well as ear protection: I feel that being able to completely hear the machine is vital, since those little sounds can tell you whether to press the off button, or to run for the nearest solid object to take cover behind.

This is all I am going to say, just because I am younger than most of you, doesnt mean that I lack the commonsense you have.

Brendan, you may feel safer, however you aren't.

Wear eye protection and hearing protection always.

You don't have any spare parts.............Regards, Rod.

William Duffer
05-02-2010, 8:09 PM
If you are aware of the risks and you don't take steps to protect yourself then don't complain when you get hurt. My 14 year old understands consequences, maybe she could teach you.

Glen Butler
05-02-2010, 8:13 PM

Yes it does. Clearly it does. I've followed your posts and sometimes your answers are quite intelligent, but often times they are lacking common sense, expertise and experience. I only say this because I care, and most others on this forum care. In so many other forums people are there to boost their ego, but that is not the case here. We all have genuine love of woodworking and want to help those who want to learn.

Get something with higher quality optics. Oakley has some of the best optics I know, and I have found they improve my vision. Different colors and coatings for different light conditions and activities can dramatically enhance your vision. Cheap lenses do distort your vision, and I can understand you not wanting to wear garbage. But I guarantee if you spend $100 or more for a GOOD pair it will be $100 well spent.

Certainly you are welcome to do as you wish. There are many things I do in the shop that people here would consider stupid, and I know they are, but I am not going to sit here and tell you that they aren't or are better for me.

Neil Brooks
05-02-2010, 8:17 PM
I've got serious eye problems.

Wasn't it Joni Mitchell, who said,

"Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
'til it's gone."

Brendan: find some safety eyewear that works for you, and wear it.

I remember driving my brother to the eye doc after he used a wire brush to clean something, and a shard of the wire stuck right into his (unprotected) eye.

Things like that can take your sight.

Be-LIEVE me: you don't want that.

I'd give ANYTHING to have normal, healthy eyes.

I can't change you, but ... please think about it. Eye problems are a pure, unadulterated misery.

Robert Salas
05-02-2010, 8:57 PM
How does one wear a dust make, safety glasses, and ear protection all at the same time? They just don't seem to fit together well. Does any company make a lightweight complete kit that fits together well?

I wear prescription glasses every day all day including while woodworking. Today while siding my parent's garage I had on my vision glasses, adjustable safety glasses (e.g. kind of oversized), a dust mask, and full ear muffs. Other than needing to tilt my head down about 5 degrees to see over the mask, it all works together.

I actually wear this setup pretty regularly, though I do sometimes (too often) rely on my regular glasses for general "protection".

I find the following very amenable to wearing glasses (safety or regular).
This mask:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=62081&cat=1,42207
and these ear muffs:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=49918&cat=1,42207

Jason Roehl
05-02-2010, 9:15 PM
For any glasses, a fellow woodworker put it succintly like this when it comes to cleaning: "Always cloth, always wet."

Don't EVER use any kind of cellulose-based tissue--it's abrasive and will scratch any lense. Since I started using a dedicated glass-cleaning solution (I get it at Meijer's in a pump-spray bottle), I have noticed that scratches take YEARS longer to appear on my lenses. Being a painter by trade, I clean my glasses often, too. The solution appears to be some sort of alcohol and soap solution. I spray on the solution, use my fingers to rub it around, then rinse it under running water and dry the lenses with a terry-cloth towel. Dust will blow off most of the day, but the paint has to be periodically cleaned off...

David Cefai
05-03-2010, 12:54 AM
As a long time specs wearer (since I was 9), I suggest occasional cleaning of specs and safety glasses with dishwashing detergent. Just put a drop on each lens surface and rub with wet fingers. Rinse and pat dry.

This seems to remove a sticky build up. Then remember that the way to induce static on glass (or plastic) is to rub vigorously with a cloth or tissue :mad:.

So clean gently.

Rob Woodman
05-03-2010, 11:02 AM
If depth perception is altered by wearing safety glasses then a visit with your Optometrist is probably best advice.

I have worn glasses since I was 12 and have prescription safety glasses provided by my optician for work ever since I got an eyefull of dust blown into my eyes by the wind when climbing a ladder. I was three storeys up, could not see and was gripping onto that ladder like a drowning man to a rescue rope. The trip to hospital to get assistance and the soreness of my eyes for days after will never leave me. I am lucky though, I kept my eyes.

That was a freak event, how many times do we a woodworkers put ourselves in a situation that is more predictable, grinding chisels, using a router or a quick job on the pillar drill?

Safety glasses are never a fashion statement but a disfigured eye is even less so.....and permanent!

Rob.

Neil Brooks
05-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Don't EVER use any kind of cellulose-based tissue--it's abrasive and will scratch any lense.

Very little downside to using cotton, for lens cleaning, but ... the above just isn't true.

Nick Mastropietro
05-03-2010, 12:21 PM
I was using some drugstore readers in the shop and was having fits with them because beyond arms length things get blurry so I visited my optometrist and explained that I wanted safety glasses for use in my woodworking shop. I told him that one issue with the store bought ones is that when ripping a 4x8 sheet of plywood I had a difficult time seeing the leading edge of the plywood where it contacts the fence. He adjusted the prescription to compensate for this distance. Now I put them on and they stay on the whole time I'm in the shop. As far as the static, the dryer sheets work ok just make sure that they are used ones, the unused ones smear your lens' with anti-static goo. The cleaning fluid I use is a cleaner, defogger and anti-static solution.

Dennis Lopeman
05-03-2010, 12:33 PM
I would also like to re-iterate that you SHOULD ABSOLUTELY wear safety glasses using ALL your equipment!! I had to once to to the eyedoctor to remove a piece a metal that shot into it like an arrow when I was doing something.. grinding or sharpening or whatever.

A little tiny iron filing, the size of a splinter, had my in pain for a week... I could barely sleep.

From that point forward, I ALWAYS wear them. I should wear them when I move the grass, too, except they would just steam up. My yard is crappy and gets real dry in places - kicking up dust. Growing a nice lawn is somewhere on my list...

lowell holmes
05-03-2010, 4:24 PM
I have prescription tri-focal safety glasses. I wouldn't be without them.

Tom Rick
05-03-2010, 4:39 PM
Yep- I had a wing nut on a machine come loose while doing an otherwise "safe" milling operation.
The nut hit the cutters and flew up into my face hitting me just at the upper edge of my eye socket. It felt like I was hit with a hammer and would have smashed my eyeball if it hit it. I wasn't wearing safety glasses but sure do now- not when I am just sitting around but any time a tool is on...
Back to OP's question- no ideal how to order but they must be out there..

Ron Jones near Indy
05-03-2010, 8:03 PM
I picked up a pair of Rx no line bifocal safety glasses at Sam's Club for about $150 about 3 years ago. Love them--when the Rx changes, so will the glasses.

Ronald Blue
05-03-2010, 8:31 PM
Use microfiber towels. They work great to clean your glasses. You can also use them to wipe the light dust off after the final sanding before the finish goes on too. A package of about 20 is under $10 at Sam's Club. Just don't use fabric softener on them.

As for not wearing safety glasses, it may be a personal choice, but it's not a wise choice.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-03-2010, 8:33 PM

I love music. As a teen I played in several chump change rock bands. I took vocal lessons for 4 years and sang 5 male leads in 5 operettas. After longs days at work and having a doctor or hospital administrator chew on me, I loved to come home.....grab one of my 3 guitars....classical....flat top or my pride and joy Fender Power Jazz bass and play...... About 12 years ago I woke up one morning totally deaf in one ear. Long story short.....a viral infection took away the hearing in my right ear and stereopohonic hearing from me. Guess what....without both ears....you can't tell which direction a sound is coming from. Don't need a stereo....Monoaural is all you can hear. I don't play much anymore. I don't want to chance losing what little hearing I have left.

A few years ago I was changing the light bulb in a collimator on a mammography machine. The bulb broke.....I'm looking up ......of course I got glass in my eye. Good news...the ER is just down the hall 300 yards or so...

My employer requires that I wear safety glasses anytime I'm doing anything other than sitting in front of a computer. My employer very generously furnishes those safety glasses. I pay for an eye exam. My insurance paritally reimburses for that exam. I take the prescription to a participating optometrist. Their office orders prescription safety glasses for me at no cost to me. My employer is billed for the full amount. I wear those safety glasses all the time.

You won't know how important a sense is until you no longer have it. Can you hear me?

Russell Sansom
05-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Something you have to "know" somehow because you can't learn it through experience:
Hearing loss is instantaneous and permanent. That is, you can't reverse the loss. Chances are you can't tell today, but you've already lost some of your hearing.

There are a bunch of life's lessons that you want to learn by some method other than trial and error. For instance, avoiding fatal motorcycle accidents.

Leo Devera
05-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Sine this thread has pretty much been hijacked already, what do you guys think of chemistry style goggles vs glasses? I prefer wearing the goggles (the front lens is a solid pieces of plastic, and the rest is a stiff rubber), because the strap makes wearing ear protection and a respirator easier, and they also do a better job at keeping dust out during dusty jobs.

But what about for impacts? I've been very lucky in that the two times something has gone flying it sailed far away from my head, and I didn't have to test the durability of the goggles/glasses.

And Brenden, as a drummer in 3 bands, and someone with a multitude of power tools, I can tell you for a FACT that you can hear everything just fine with hearing protection. Quality ear muffs/plugs will block a more even range of frequencies than cheap ones. And when I practice with the ear plugs I can often pick out more subtle nuances in the music that we can't hear with the amps and drums blasting in our faces.