PDA

View Full Version : computer upgrade for Xenetech xlt1325

nancy barry
05-02-2010, 8:43 AM
The dell Windows XP computer that I have used for years is dying. It has a 40 Gig HD and 2 mgs RAM which is less than adequate. I would like to upgrade to something newer and better. I am wondering if any Xenetech users have upgraded to a Win 7 computer and if so, have there been challenges that would make this a not so good idea at present.

the alternative is to find another XP and use that until the bugs are worked out in Win 7 and ability to work with the XLT..

thanks for any advice
nancy barry

Roy Brewer
05-03-2010, 7:50 PM
I am wondering if any Xenetech users have upgraded to a Win 7 computer and if so, have there been challenges that would make this a not so good idea at present.Nancy,

If you are using only XGW, win7 and your XLT will work fine. I'd guess it will be end of summer before Xenetech finishes their 64bit print driver, however.

Art Crowe
05-03-2010, 8:07 PM
I'm not sure where they are on their 64 bit driver but I went and got an older computer with XP and have been using it since my last laptop stopped working... Have you called them to see if there was any update / status on the driver?

nancy barry
05-04-2010, 9:22 AM
Roy, thanks for the response. My rep seems to be MIA at present and the last suggestion he had was not to upgrade to Win7 until Xenetech dealt with the challenges and had a patch in place. Art,I was told that the company is working on the patch but no date given. I am in that land of on the fence vis a vis; computer, software upgrades, new OS and what to do in the meantime. User experience from those in the trenches is often the best place to find workable solutions.

I will find a XP to use in the meantime and post any other solutions/suggestions that come my way.

thanks again . nancyBe

James Terry
05-04-2010, 11:15 AM
You could go with 32 bit Vista if you want, but I would stick with XP until 1000 other people have tried the new 64 bit driver after it arrives.

If you have an actual "laser" computer, then it is task specific and you really dont need any of the new annoyances of the new os. For you, I would either upgrade the machine you have now, save your data and then reinstall XP better than before, or find a better machine and put your own xp on it as you see fit. There is nothing wrong with XP.

I'll bet your current machine isnt that bad, it just needs some geek lovin. I would sure like to see that pc with 2 megs in it. But if it is indeed 2 gigs, then you have a very capable machine and it just needs some cleaning up.