PDA

View Full Version : English teacher's nightmare

Mike Cruz
05-02-2010, 8:11 AM
Okay, so I'm not an English teacher. I did however take a lot of English classes including usage and diction in collage. So, the misuse of our language, the inability to spell even the simplest words, and the lack of distiction between to, too, and two, can be a pet peeve of mine.

While reading this CL ad, I cringed. I can only imagine the English teachers that read it and pulled all their hair out! How does someone make it though the school system and still feel comfortable spitting this out. If the person is posting on CL, they likely have a computer or some other device that has spell check capabilities, so the person not only spells poorly, has bad grammar, uses run-on sentences, and doesn't know what punctuation is for, but also is too lazy to take two (see the distinction?) seconds to spell check.

Before I get slammed, let me say that I understand that in today's society, texting habbits overflow into other writing areas. But this doesn't look like texting lingo to me.

Ugh, seeing this was not only depressing, but angering. I can only HOPE that it made others feel the same way. Our country is dumbing down, and it is disheartening.

And, yes, I just ran this rant through spell check and found 6 errors, but I had too much pride to not take two seconds to check.

Scott T Smith
05-02-2010, 8:38 AM
Uh Mike... what craigslist ad are you referring to?

Mitchell Andrus
05-02-2010, 8:39 AM
Eye halve know thing two ad.

Carlos Alden
05-02-2010, 9:09 AM
Okay, so I'm not an English teacher. I did however take a lot of English classes including usage and diction in collage. So, the misuse of our language, the inability to spell even the simplest words, and the lack of distiction between to, too, and two, can be a pet peeve of mine.

While reading this CL ad, I cringed. I can only imagine the English teachers that read it and pulled all their hair out! How does someone make it though the school system and still feel comfortable spitting this out. If the person is posting on CL, they likely have a computer or some other device that has spell check capabilities, so the person not only spells poorly, has bad grammar, uses run-on sentences, and doesn't know what punctuation is for, but also is too lazy to take two (see the distinction?) seconds to spell check.

Before I get slammed, let me say that I understand that in today's society, texting habbits overflow into other writing areas. But this doesn't look like texting lingo to me.

Ugh, seeing this was not only depressing, but angering. I can only HOPE that it made others feel the same way. Our country is dumbing down, and it is disheartening.

And, yes, I just ran this rant through spell check and found 6 errors, but I had too much pride to not take two seconds to check.

Belongs on the SMC Stand-Up Irony Comedy forum

Mike Cruz
05-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Oh, what an idiot! I was rushed to finish to get to my horses and I forgot to post the link! BONEHEAD!

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/tls/1713630526.html

:o

Randal Stevenson
05-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Okay, so I'm not an English teacher. I did however take a lot of English classes including usage and diction in collage.

My English teachers never graded my artwork (collages).:p

John Schreiber
05-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Here on the Creek, you'd really think that "draw" and "drawer" were acceptable alternatives. That really gets me some times. And I'm not an English teacher. (Nor am I a teacher of English.) :rolleyes:

Paul Atkins
05-02-2010, 11:06 AM
The one that gets me is someone asking how to cut tendons ----ouch.

Robert McGowen
05-02-2010, 11:12 AM
distiction habbits

Is spell check not perfect or did you just not change them?

Stephen Tashiro
05-02-2010, 11:19 AM
I suggest that those who are distressed about the condition of English usage in the USA browse the messages on the crazyengineers.com forum.

glenn bradley
05-02-2010, 11:29 AM

The difference in spell check versus grammar check. The post on CL is from PA. Maybe he types his words phonetically, uh-yuh(?).

Id eez uh shayme wud zum beeble doo 2 duh Angleesh layngwage.

We all get in a hurry sometimes and miss things. Mike's OP is a perfect example based on the subject matter and the errors. I also tend to wince at some grammar twists but, as long as we're communicating effectively; I'll live.:D

Mitchell Andrus
05-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Oh, what an idiot! I was rushed to finish to get to my horses and I forgot to post the link! BONEHEAD!

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/tls/1713630526.html

:o

To spare us all linking:

i have three latters for sale one is a 32 foot asking 175.00 and a 20 foot asking 65.00 both are aluminum and one 6 foot step latter and that is fiberglass asking 45.00 all in very good shape all so i have a rigget vac.6.5 hp asking 85.00 works great and it is a leaf blower to and a air comeressuer 25.00 and a refrigetor with ice maker only 2 years old very nice 200.00 if interested call anytime 717-386-6528 cell or home is 717-834-0060

Yep. that's pretty bad. Maybe some computers are shipped without the "." key.

Mitchell Andrus
05-02-2010, 12:03 PM
.... but, as long as we're communicating effectively; I'll live.:D

WHAT? A roll-off-the-wall simple failure of communication between top-level lawyers cost $2.13 million. See below.

It's quite easy to waive off a goofy ad or a forum post seemingly written by a 10 year old with broken thumbs. But, I'd like to know how one distinguishes between a poorly written post that doesn't hurt anyone, and a poorly written post that might cause a serious miscalculation.

On the flip-side. The person who wrote that ad is driving on the same street as I am. He's working in the kitchen at the restaurant I frequent. He's working on my car's brakes. He's likely been on Cops. Maybe he walked by that man laying on the sidewalk too.

<rant on>

Let's fight the malaise in all aspects of society. We can start by not giving a 'pass' to someone who's incapable of dropping a few periods into a sentence, and who can't be bothered to meet the rest of us half way. We can't all be Einstein, but we can at least make an effort to reach some minimum measure of clarity of thought while communicating.

<rant off>

I feel better now, but no safer.

To wit:

http://grammar.about.com/b/2006/10/19/cost-of-a-misplaced-comma-213-million-canadian.htm

A misplaced comma in a contract to string cable lines along utility poles may cost the Canadian company a whopping $2.13 million.

Back in 2002, when the company signed off on a contract with Aliant Inc., the folks at Rogers were confident that they had locked up a long-term agreement. They were surprised, therefore, when last year Aliant gave notice of a hefty rate-hike--and even more surprised when regulators with the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) backed their claim.

It's all right there on page seven of the contract, where it states that the agreement "shall continue in force for a period of five years from the date it is made, and thereafter for successive five year terms, unless and until terminated by one year prior notice in writing by either party.”

Without that second comma after "successive five year terms," the business about terminating the contract would apply only to successive terms, which is what Rogers' lawyers thought they were agreeing to. However, with the addition of the comma, the phrase "and thereafter for successive five year terms" is treated as an interruption. Certainly that's how Aliant treated it. They didn't wait for that first "period of five years" to expire before giving notice of the rate hike, and thanks to the extra comma, they didn't have to.

“This is a classic case of where the placement of a comma has great importance,” Aliant said. Indeed.

Dick Latshaw
05-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Reminds me of the Craigslist ad for a Radio Alarm Saw.

Ed Gibbons
05-02-2010, 3:08 PM
College ;)

Rod Sheridan
05-02-2010, 3:43 PM
Belongs on the SMC Stand-Up Irony Comedy forum
Yes it does..........Rod.

Mitchell Andrus
05-02-2010, 3:51 PM
College ;)

Mike, it looks like we're on to you.

Mike Cruz
05-02-2010, 5:56 PM
OK, OK, OK collEge!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehehehe.

I didn't mean to insinuate that I attended a bunch of pictures... Of course, it was a state school, so...

Again, I was in a hurry. So much so that I forgot the LINK!!!!!!!

Ya'll are awesome.

Actually, I really ought to be taking the stand that I put that in intentionally to see if anyone would catch it... yeah, yeah, that's the ticket!

John Schreiber
05-02-2010, 6:11 PM
I think the original Craigslist poster should be punished by people not finding his listing if they are searching for a "ladder," by people not taking the time to read his posting because it is hard to read, and by us for making fun of him. Done!

Aside from his written communication skills, he may be a fine man. Compare all the people who can write well but who say absolutely nothing.

We should also thank him for the entertainment he has provided.

Glenn Vaughn
05-02-2010, 6:19 PM

A Habbit is a cross between a Hare and a Rabbit.

David Gregory
05-02-2010, 7:55 PM
Though I sometimes do incorrectly spell a word, spellcheck usually red-lines to my attention and tell me I'm an idiot. Spelling has always come pretty easy for me so I can't really appreciate the difficulty some folks have with it. Sentence structure and grammar? Well, now, the way I view that one is; "Did you understand what I was trying to communicate to you?" If so then what's the problem?

I can chit chat in redneckeese or I can use them $1.00 two-ninety-five words if'n ya want to but don'e be givin' me that dum' look when I git done sayin' whut it is I'm sayin', okay? I can speak lawyer, carpenter, cop, soldier, cotton mill worker, plumber, and many other languages but for the life of me I jes cain't seam to git th Clempson Uni....Uni, Kollige speek rite. Guess that's 'cause the liberry burnt down and they lost both buks.

Dan Friedrichs
05-02-2010, 9:27 PM
I mean this in good fun, but take a look at the few mistakes I've highlighted in your original post:

Okay, so I'm not an English teacher. I did however take a lot of English classes, including usage and diction, in college. So, (unnecessary comma) the misuse of our language, the inability to spell even the simplest words, and the lack of distiction between to, too, and two, can be a pet peeve of mine.

While reading this CL ad, I cringed. I can only imagine the English teachers that read it and pulled all their hair out! How does someone make it though the school system and still feel comfortable spitting this out. (this is a question, so should end with a question mark) If the person is posting on CL, they likely have ("likely" is a misplaced modifier - this should be written "it is likely they have") a computer or some other device that has spell check capabilities, so (you just connected two independent clauses with a comma and conjunction - making this a run-on sentence) the person not only spells poorly, has bad grammar, uses run-on sentences, and doesn't know what punctuation is for, but also is too lazy to take two (see the distinction?) seconds to spell check.

Before I get slammed, let me say that I understand that in today's society, (unnecessary comma) texting habbits overflow into other writing areas. But (starting a sentence with a conjunction is bad style and should be avoided if possible) this doesn't look like texting lingo to me.

Ugh, seeing this was not only depressing, but angering. I can only HOPE that it made others feel the same way. Our country is dumbing down, (unnecessary comma) and it is disheartening.

And, (unnecessary comma) yes, I just ran this rant through spell check and found 6 errors, but I had too much pride to not take two seconds to check.

Jon Lanier
05-02-2010, 9:54 PM
I mean this in good fun, but take a look at the few mistakes I've highlighted in your original post:

Now, that there is funny. I don't care who you are! :D

I'm a dyslexic that tries to get the spelling and grammar correct. But I'm not here to be graded, I'm here to chat. If someone can't handle my post, by all means, move on to the next post.

I'm not going to spend much time trying to correct a quick post.

Mitchell Andrus
05-02-2010, 10:19 PM

"Okay, so I'm not an English teacher. I did however take a lot of English classes, including usage and diction, in college."

Dan,

I'd be happier if I knew exactly what was being communicated here. Were there English classes called "English Usage" and "English Diction", or were there English classes which included lessons in usage and diction?

Your commas suggest the former (which may call for caps) which may not have been the original author's intent. I don't quibble with the "e" though. That's clearly a typo.

And I prefer "many" for quantity (How many? 1, 2 or 3 classes), "a lot" for volume or mass (How much? Small, medium or a lot of Coca-Cola).

But I'm not an English teacher either.

John Schreiber
05-03-2010, 1:27 AM
Dear Sir,

What can I give you to never look that closely at anything I've written?

Your humble servant.

Mike Cruz
05-03-2010, 7:02 AM
Hmmm, odd, I did change it, but for some reason it didn't take when I posted it...

Mike Cruz
05-03-2010, 7:20 AM
Believe me, I could have written it perfectly, if I wanted to, if I had the time, the first time, to go over it. And make sure there weren't mistakes, both in grammar, and punctuation, and spelling.

While I wasn't expecting to be proofed and edited, I really shouldn't have posted the thread without combing it first...especially with the subject being what it was. As for unneccessary commas...well, I like to think of them as writing style. I do place more commas than are necessary, but I find them inappropriate. They are there for pauses. I tend to write in a speaking manner. Which, sometimes leads to run-on sentences, dependent clauses on their own, and sentences ending in a preposition. Because we rarely would say, " For what do you need that?"

Yes, that paragraph, and likely this entire post can be proofed and edited, but that would be making it your post, not mine. Everyone has a writing style...especially on a forum. Were this a paper that I were turning in for a grade, it would be written much differently. But it ain't, it's a post on a forum.

Then agian, I'm the one who brought it up...:o

However, I did find irony and humor in all the comments. I thoroughly enjoyed this one...

:D

Lee Schierer
05-03-2010, 8:12 AM

Apparently your spell check missed one.....:eek:

Mitchell Andrus
05-03-2010, 8:13 AM
Believe me, I could have written it perfectly, if I wanted to, if I had the time, the first time, to go over it. And make sure there weren't mistakes, both in grammar, and punctuation, and spelling.

While I wasn't expecting to be proofed and edited, I really shouldn't have posted the thread without combing it first...especially with the subject being what it was. As for unneccessary commas...well, I like to think of them as writing style. I do place more commas than are necessary, but I find them inappropriate. They are there for pauses. I tend to write in a speaking manner. Which, sometimes leads to run-on sentences, dependent clauses on their own, and sentences ending in a preposition. Because we rarely would say, " For what do you need that?"

Yes, that paragraph, and likely this entire post can be proofed and edited, but that would be making it your post, not mine. Everyone has a writing style...especially on a forum. Were this a paper that I were turning in for a grade, it would be written much differently. But it ain't, it's a post on a forum.

Then agian, I'm the one who brought it up...:o

However, I did find irony and humor in all the comments. I thoroughly enjoyed this one...

:D

... more of a spoof, not a proof. I hope the jabs are seen for what they are, a comment on the human condition.

"sentences ending in a preposition. Because we rarely would say, " For what do you need that?" "

I'd say "Why would you need that? -or - What do you need that for? Totally acceptable in writing.

unnecessary

Commas matter, but not in really un-nnessisary threads and posts like this one.

1. "Verily I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise."
2. "Verily I say to you today, you will be with me in Paradise."

Watch your commas or we will show up expecting a really great trip if you don't communicate clearly.

I love this one:

An English professor wrote these words - "Woman without her man is nothing." - on the blackboard and asked the class to punctuate it correctly.

The men wrote: "Woman, without her man, is nothing."
The women wrote "Woman: without her, man is nothing."

Rick Prosser
05-03-2010, 9:37 AM
Hey - at least he got all the numbers right in the ad. ...At least I think he did.

Dan Mages
05-03-2010, 10:05 AM
I have solicited labor on Craigslist recently to repair my car and to clean up my lawn. I have received several responses with very poor grammar and spelling, all of which I immediately dismissed. I don't expect 100% perfection all the time, but I don't want to take a risk that the lack of spelling and grammar is also a sign of their work ethic and quality.

Does anyone here have the chutzpah to respond to the Craigslist ad and correct him on his butchery of the English language?

Dan

No one can write perfect English and keep it up through a stretch of ten chapters. It has never been done.

- Mark Twain

And for further reading... http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Alphabet_and_Simplified_Spelling

Mark Patoka
05-03-2010, 10:56 AM
AT LEAST THE CRAIGSLISTER'S CAPS LOCK KEY WASN'T ON. :)

I wonder if he has any "priors" to sell along with his "latters", and I'm not talking about his appearance on COPS either.

Belinda Barfield
05-03-2010, 11:26 AM
You folks would go crazy if you had to transcribe medical dictation. I refuse to determine punctuation as the dictated note is part of a medical record and I have no idea what the physician intended to report. As Mitchell pointed out, a comma can make a lot of difference. Here are a couple of gems from today. The dictating physician is a cardiologist. All notes have the following after the signature line, "Dictated/not read"

On detailed interview it seems like she does have chest tightness almost on and off for the last one week. It is non reproducible and unrelated to activity. She was initially started on omeprazole. It did not help her thinking that it was gastritis and subsequently she discontinued it.

She is aware of her situation and overall doing much better than what I saw her last time. She has been maintained on Imdur and she was initially started on Ranexa but she did not tolerate as she started gaining weight and she stopped it of her own.

Mitchell Andrus
05-03-2010, 11:34 AM
It did not help her thinking that it was gastritis and subsequently she discontinued it.

Wow. Discontinued what, the thinking or the use of the drug?

I'll hold the nail. When I nod my head, you hit it.

Joe Chritz
05-03-2010, 11:46 AM
College ;)

As a law enforcement officer with 15+ years experience working in a city with 19K+ student college and a smaller community college, allow me to say that a degree is no guarantee against rampant stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Joe

Mike Cruz
05-03-2010, 5:00 PM
Stupid? You want stupid? Let me paint a picture for you...

Imagine how stupid the AVERAGE person is...

Half the population is more stupid than that!

Peter Stahl
05-03-2010, 5:58 PM
Stupid? You want stupid? Let me paint a picture for you...

I resemble that remark!:rolleyes:

Peter Stahl
05-03-2010, 6:03 PM
I try and use my spell checker as much as possible. My kids laugh at my spelling. I know going through my high school, if you showed up you passed. I also know college grads that need spell checkers too.

Scott Shepherd
05-03-2010, 6:21 PM
Again, I was in a hurry.

While I wasn't expecting to be proofed and edited,...

The person on CL was probably in a hurry too :D He probably didn't think his words would be proof read either :)

Rich Stewart
05-04-2010, 2:35 PM
Belinda, I heard the one about the Dr who prescribed Cialis. The transcriptionist wrote See Alice.

Belinda Barfield
05-04-2010, 2:41 PM
Belinda, I heard the one about the Dr who prescribed Cialis. The transcriptionist wrote See Alice.

Maybe the transcriptionist knew something the doctor didn't. :D

David G Baker
05-04-2010, 5:43 PM
I saw Alice and got my face slapped. :D

Jason Roehl
05-04-2010, 6:33 PM
Belinda, just make sure when you are transcribing that you know when a doctor is prescribing AcipHex, and when he/she is describing a symptom... :eek: :D

Glen Butler
05-04-2010, 7:27 PM

I am glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this!

There have been jabs at Mike, but there is a huge difference between quickly writing something on a forum and taking some time to care about something you need to sell. I don't want to buy something from someone who can't spell ladder or doesn't know they own a Ridgid Shop Vac and not a rigget shop vac.

Carlos Alden
05-05-2010, 9:06 AM
A Habbit is a cross between a Hare and a Rabbit.

I thought it was the product of the illicit mating of a hare and a hobbit.

Carlos

Mike Cruz
05-05-2010, 5:21 PM
Thanks, Glen. That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me all day... :o :D

Michael MacDonald
05-05-2010, 6:12 PM
My respect for this forum grows every day... well, most days. One would never expect this sort of discussion--and with such well-taken humor too.

I have to admit: I am a bit finicky about my grammar and spelling. I review posts too much before I submit. Sometimes I copy them to MS word because the spell check is better. Sometimes I come back once or twice to fix errors I missed...

My own mistakes make me cringe, but I have learned in a very short time to ignore the mistakes of others--after all, it is a "quick-and-dirty communications" forum. Now perhaps I will feel more comfortable about posting quick and error-filled messages myself… maybe not.

Anyway, the CL post was clearly not a spelling mistake or two, and it did not appear to be someone with English-as-a-second-language. It seemed to be a US-native who has done little to no writing, was reared in a cave, and was trying to just sound out the words that he knew how to say… either that, or it was a joke. I mean: how can you go to HD, buy a Ridgid vac, use it for years, and then later come up with “rigget”? Either way, it was a hoot.

Can we send an official invitation to have this guy participate in SMC discussions? I would like to get his viewpoint on things... Maybe he can monitor a new forum section on Latters and Grammar. There is an underappreciated audience for that topic.

Belinda Barfield
05-06-2010, 8:34 AM
Now perhaps I will feel more comfortable about posting quick and error-filled messages myself… maybe not.

A while back we had a similar rip session on those who have difficulty with spelling and grammar. I mentioned at that time that these types of threads might deter someone with a great deal of practical knowledge from posting. I hope that doesn't happen.

I am a better writer than speaker, but don't always follow the rules when writing here. I tend to write as I would speak. I frequently insert a comma after "so" if I would pause at that point when speaking. If I manage to give someone a laugh with my spelling and grammar errors that's a bonus. :)

Bruce Page
05-06-2010, 8:14 PM
Well said Belinda.

A while back we had a similar rip session on those who have difficulty with spelling and grammar. I mentioned at that time that these types of threads might deter someone with a great deal of practical knowledge from posting. I hope that doesn't happen.

I am a better writer than speaker, but don't always follow the rules when writing here. I tend to write as I would speak. I frequently insert a comma after "so" if I would pause at that point when speaking. If I manage to give someone a laugh with my spelling and grammar errors that's a bonus. :)

Jerome Hanby
05-07-2010, 11:00 AM
I think the original Craigslist poster should be punished by people not finding his listing if they are searching for a "ladder," by people not taking the time to read his posting because it is hard to read, and by us for making fun of him. Done!

You know, I didn't consider that when I first started reading this thread. If it weren't for people too unconcerned to spell or identify properly (and my own twisted search skills) I would never have scored my Unisaw!

Keel McDonald
05-07-2010, 11:17 AM

I mean this in good fun. I am an English teacher. Dan, you made the statement, "you just connected two independent clauses with a comma and conjunction - making this a run-on sentence."

Actually, this is proper grammar. It is correct to use a comma and a coordinating conjunction, or you can use a semicolon, to join two independent clauses. It's how you keep the sentence from being a run-on.
:)

Belinda Barfield
05-07-2010, 11:22 AM
I mean this in good fun. I am an English teacher. Dan, you made the statement, "you just connected two independent clauses with a comma and conjunction - making this a run-on sentence."

Actually, this is proper grammar. It is correct to use a comma and a coordinating conjunction, or you can use a semicolon, to join two independent clauses. It's how you keep the sentence from being a run-on.
:)

Thank heaven an English teacher finally chimed in! I thought I had been creating run-on sentences all these years. :D

Keel McDonald
05-07-2010, 12:28 PM
I often read CL ads to see what's out there. Sometimes I read them just for the laughs. It doesn't amaze me that people speak and write the way they do, but it does amaze me that I can understand it. What does that say about me?

Michael MacDonald
05-07-2010, 1:26 PM
I suppose it is a bit uncharitable to mock any ad or individual on this topic...

I would add that I think I neglected to bring my point home. It is this: My tortured approach is not better than the relaxed writing etiquette one typically sees. Being haunted by the trivial details of grammar and spelling can be more of an impediment in this type of setting, as Belinda noted. Yes, it would be a shame to miss someone’s insight because his or her fear of exposure… Though I can’t claim a compliment in Belinda’s comment since I am more of a taker than a giver when it comes to woodworking insight.

Fortunately most of us can be casual and accommodating and get on in life without obsessing over these details. I didn't see the irony in the OP errors in relation to the CL post—all that was normal in my opinion. My own obsessive approach, and the CL post, are beyond normal… hence the humor that I see in them.

So let's get on to what important... how about that Ryobi lawsuit?