PDA

View Full Version : Ratcheting collet router...

Michael Dunn
05-02-2010, 3:14 AM
Hey guys,

Are there any other ratcheting collet router besides the Festools?

Thanx,

shotgunn

pat warner
05-02-2010, 10:59 AM
None others known.
But baffled. 2 wrenches, one on the collet, one on the armature is about as straight forward and as simple as it gets.
Why complicate such a trivial function?

Jamie Buxton
05-02-2010, 11:24 AM
I have a Festool with that ratcheting collet feature. I don't use it. I want to really tighten the collet firmly around the bit. Two wrenches does that very easily --- I'm squeezing the wrench handles with one hand. But when I try to really tighten the collet with the ratchet scheme, I have one hand on a wrench, one hand holding the little ratchet pushbutton in place, and a third hand holding on to the router body to give good leverage against the wrench. That's one more hand than I was issued.

glenn bradley
05-02-2010, 11:37 AM
+1 on two wrenches. Isolates the torque.

Michael Dunn
05-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Well, to me, the ratcheting collet is as simple as it gets.

Not to mention I broke the 5th meta-carpal in my left (dominant hand) last year and my coordination/strength still isn't 100%. It may never be.

Plus one tool to use is easier to me even without the broken hand.

Thanx,

shotgunn

None others known.
But baffled. 2 wrenches, one on the collet, one on the armature is about as straight forward and as simple as it gets.
Why complicate such a trivial function?

Brice Burrell
05-02-2010, 9:08 PM
I have a Festool with that ratcheting collet feature. I don't use it. I want to really tighten the collet firmly around the bit. Two wrenches does that very easily --- I'm squeezing the wrench handles with one hand. But when I try to really tighten the collet with the ratchet scheme, I have one hand on a wrench, one hand holding the little ratchet pushbutton in place, and a third hand holding on to the router body to give good leverage against the wrench. That's one more hand than I was issued.

If your collet is functioning correctly you don't need to really crank down on it.

Michael Dunn
05-02-2010, 9:33 PM
I agree, you shouldn't have to use such strength. It seems to be overkill for peace of minds sake.

Ratchetting collets RULE!!! (In my most childish 9 yr old boy ton of voice...)

If your collet is functioning correctly you don't need to really crank down on it.