PDA

View Full Version : Cherry wood gloat,Mentor gloat

Jeff Fagen
05-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Here is a picture of a cherry wood gloat that was cut and stacked by this guys son for us to have turning stock.
This is 84 year old Bud Abraham, the guy responsible for my falling into the vortex.
Bud does'nt do clubs or computers but makes his own tools and turns a lot of bowls and HF's.

charlie knighton
05-02-2010, 4:08 AM
great score, i hope to still be messing with wood at 84

John Keeton
05-02-2010, 6:22 AM
Jeff, great to have a mentor - someone close by that you can actually watch turn. Other than seeing a few brief demos at Woodcraft, I have relied only on the sage advise of Steve Schlumpf, and others here on SMC. While invaluable, it sure would be nice to be around an experienced turner.

Nice wood, too! And, Charlie, I just hope to be alive at 84!!

Fred Perreault
05-02-2010, 8:02 AM
Johnny...
Either you are a quick, talented learner, or you are full of balogna :) In any event, you turn out some of the neatest stuff for a late-in-life turner. Great stuff....
Fred

Thom Sturgill
05-02-2010, 8:07 AM
Great gloat. Bud is an example of why I wasn't just sucked into the vortex but jumped in with glee. As a flatworker, I was looking at only a few years that I would be able to work. I expected that by the time I got my skills where I wanted them, I would be losing the physical abilities needed to use them and needing help to just move things around in the shop. When I joined a club, I found that most members were already in their 60s (I'm 61) and several were in their 80s and one already 90. Gave me hope.

Baxter Smith
05-02-2010, 8:47 AM
Great gloat with wood and mentor. I would love to be able to ask questions and bounce ideas off the fellow who once owned my lathe.

Donny Lawson
05-02-2010, 9:48 AM
Nice Cherry Gloat. The background in the picture is nice and impressive too.Where is that at?
Donny

Steve Schlumpf
05-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Jeff - congrats on all that Cherry! I sure love turning it!

Also congrats on being able to spend time with your mentor! I am sure we would all love to have that opportunity!

John - the shop door is always open - should you want to do a little traveling!

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Congrats Jeff on some nice looking Cherry. I have a gentleman here in town that is 88 that helps me when doing furniture repair. I just hope I am still around and it would be nice to still be able to turn.

David E Keller
05-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Truckload of wood= Free
Mentor with a lifetime of turning experience= PRICELESS!

Jeff Fagen
05-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys,Donny that photo is looking east from Bud's shop at a dairy farm in western Wisconsin between Eau Claire and Chippewa Falls.
Bud is always ready to go to the woods to cut more.
This winter we dug spalted maple out of the snow on one outing.
He is always giving me wood he's squirrled away.

Jeff Nicol
05-03-2010, 6:31 AM
Jeff, Now you will be busy spinning cherry like a madman!! Stop in and show me some of your new creations when you get some done. Also take me out to meet your senior mentor one day, I can always use some extra knowledge from and old pro!

Jeff

Jeff Fagen
05-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Jeff,I showed him your website and he is awaiting a visit to your shop to trade ideas.