PDA

View Full Version : evapo-rust application technique?

Michael MacDonald
05-01-2010, 11:33 PM
I noticed a reddish tint on the TS table top last week... should have waxed sooner.

I researched rust removal on SMC and found a few recommenations... got a bottle of evapo-rust today and found it to be a liquid and the instructions to recommend immersion for 30 minutes... the TS is almost level, so it seemed to work OK when I poured it on and spread it around. just a very slow migration to one corner that did not seem to be a problem.

After only 20 minutes, streaks of the stuff started to evaporate. I wiped it up, and the rust is gone, but the TS now has discolored streaks across it. Can't get rid of them with WD40, more evapo rust (though now I have streaks in two directions... nice try). I put Bostick topcoat on for now, but I would like to revisit this... anyone recommend the proper procedure for using evapo rust, or for removing the discoloration?

I was thinking perhaps soaking some cloths in the evapo stuff and laying the cloths across the TS. Perhaps I should try bar keepers friend next. is that more user friendly?

Regards,
Michael

Terry Sparks
05-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Michael,
All you need to do is re-apply the Evaporust on your table saw and use some 0000 steel wool or 400 grit sandpaper. After working it in for just a few minutes, let it rest and repeat once more before wiping it off and your table should look as good as the day you bought it.

Michael MacDonald
05-02-2010, 1:21 PM
I will give it another go. I tried 0000 steel wool on the second effort, but only a half-hearted attempt...

Michael MacDonald
05-02-2010, 3:00 PM
I know it must be me... but now it looks worse than before.

I poured a 1/2 cup or so on, rubbed with 0000 steel wool. Then waited 15 minutes, rubbed again. then waited 15 more minutes... still didn't get rid of streaks from original application... plus, more ares of drying and more streaks!

I poured a bit more evapo rust on and scrubbed again with the steel wool... waited 15 minutes and did it again.

Finally gave up and simultaneously scrubbed with st. wool with one hand while following with a dry cloth with the other hand. Then wiped down with a wet rag... looks worse than before.

I shimmmed the legs this time so there was no waterfall, but I don't see how I could put more than film on the TS. However, it seems that a thick layer of liquid is the only thing that would prevent the drying and streaking. This I don't understand.

But at least I have a quarter-sawn cast iron table top now... beautiful tiger stripes.

Steven Hsieh
05-02-2010, 3:39 PM
Michael,
Can you post a pic?

jerry nazard
05-02-2010, 6:08 PM
I frequently use Evapo-rust to clean old hand tools. I have heard of people wrapping/covering large surfaces with a towel soaked in the stuff. Don't know if that might help in your situation.

-Jerry

Joshua Culp
05-02-2010, 9:15 PM
Build a dam around the edge of the table using plumber's putty and flood it with Evapo Rust like a rice paddy or cranberry bog.

When you're done, remove the Evapo Rust and rinse with water. This is an important step since it carries away all the microscopic molecules of rust that the chemical loosened and removed so they don't re-attach.

Building a dam and flooding works better than wet towels due to the way Evapo Rust is designed to work. There are two types of chemical reactions going on. One to detach the rust from the workpiece, and a second chemical to bind the loosened rust and carry it away. For that reason it works better if the workpiece is submerged where there is more chemical available to act.

glenn bradley
05-02-2010, 9:51 PM
+1 on a pic for help. I have used Evap-o-Rust to remove rust with success but on planes and files and so forth. For table surfaces I use Boeshield's Rust Away. I have lifted out some significant shadows with it on older gear. You do need to read the directions carefully. It is caustic and should not be left on too long.

Michael MacDonald
05-03-2010, 12:28 AM
The plumbers putty barrier sounds like a workable idea... I wish I had thought of that. It did seem pretty clear that one cannot let the evapo rust dry on the surface... even agitating it every 15 minutes did not keep consistent coverage of a thin film.

Here are some pics. first, I haven't touched the right wing yet, so it looks good (and has some sawdust on it too...). The next two pics are the front and back of the left wing. I had a slightly different effect on the center table, but that pic did not turn out. Either way, this ain't right.

Thanks for the help.

Paul Saffold
05-03-2010, 7:30 AM
Try "Barkeepers Friend". Read and follow the directions on the can. Some here on the creek have used other liquids than water. I don't remember what off hand. Rinse well. It is found in some grocery stores next to Ajax, Comet, etc. Good luck.