PDA

View Full Version : Minimax 16 purchase

tim walker
11-17-2004, 7:45 PM
I am 0.001" from purchasing the MM16. The deal offered coomes with 3 blades and a mobility kit. Are the three blades worth it or should I negotiate a lower price and buy new blades like Timberwolf? Also any feedback on the mobility kit. I am 6'6" and was thinking anout raising the tool to make it more comfortable for me. That would negate the requirement for a mobility kit as i would put heavy duty locking casters on MY base.

Thanks all Tim in Houston.

Jim Becker
11-17-2004, 7:57 PM
Tim, with your height, you may be more comfortable raising the machine a bit rather than going with the MM mobilty kit. I'm fine with it, but I'm a little shorter than you at 5'11". Talk to the company about your options...they are easy to work with and will be able to do what suits your needs.

As to blades, I have been using Timberwolfs for general purpose work when I'm not using the Lennox 1" carbide. When my supply of 1/2" Timberwolf PC blades runs out, I'll likely buy a Lennox 1/2" carbide for general use and just use steel blades for narrow scrolling work.

tim walker
11-17-2004, 8:26 PM
Thanks Jim. So what is the standard blade that MM supplies? Brandwise that is. I was quoted 3 "regular" blades, what ever that means.

Thanks for all of your help.

Rich Konopka
11-17-2004, 8:41 PM
Tim:

I got 3 Olsen's with my MM16. IMHO the mobility kit is worthless.

See http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10507 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10507)

Just Do it

Dennis McDonaugh
11-17-2004, 8:52 PM
Tim,

I didnt like the mobility kit. I couldn't find a good place to store the handle and you need some room in front of the saw to swing the handle back and forth to guide the saw when you are moving it. I put it on a shop fox base and I'm very happy with it. I also like the extra two inches or so of height on the table. I heard Olson blades are pretty good, but I like the woodslicer from Highland Hardware. I hope to get a carbide blade sometime in the future.

Aaron Heck
11-17-2004, 8:56 PM
I'm 6'1" and wish the table were a little higher, too. I hadn't even considered putting it on a mobile base to give me some more height. I will have to seriously consider that! Thanks for the idea! I agree, the mobility kit works, but sometimes it can be a pain.

Scott Parks
11-18-2004, 12:49 AM
blades worth it or should I negotiate a lower price and buy new blades like Timberwolf? .
Is MM negotiable?

Michael Perata
11-18-2004, 3:07 AM
The blades are Olson and I through away my Timberwolves after using them. They are very good and last a lot longer than the TW's. Cut straighter also.

I am 6' and the table is just okay for me. I do use the mobility kit but yes the handle does need a place to be.

I would opt away from the mobility kit and build yourself a movable platform to bring the table up to your height. Remember, this puppy is over 400#, so build the platform accordingly.

sascha gast
11-18-2004, 3:58 AM
The blades are Olson and I through away my Timberwolves after using them. They are very good and last a lot longer than the TW's. Cut straighter also.

I am 6' and the table is just okay for me. I do use the mobility kit but yes the handle does need a place to be.

I would opt away from the mobility kit and build yourself a movable platform to bring the table up to your height. Remember, this puppy is over 400#, so build the platform accordingly.

wow, i have yet to find somebody to like olsen blades better than timberwolves. i hated my olsen blades i used to by. i use timberwolf and laguna resaw king. one day i'll try the lennox.

sascha

Aaron Montgomery
11-18-2004, 8:06 AM
I haven't really cared for the Olson blades and the mobility kit doesn't do much for me either. One of these days I'll get around to building a new mobilitiy kit on the MM16.

Dennis McDonaugh
11-18-2004, 11:00 AM
Aaron (Heck), one thing about the shop fox base. I had to put a 3/4" piece of wood under the saw so the lower door would clear the base. I used Jabota.

Steven Wilson
11-18-2004, 11:18 AM
The blades that come with the MM are Olson - not my favorite cup of tea but they work. The Lennox 1" carbide blade is great. As for height you'll probably find that if you use a heavy duty bandsaw for cutting large or heavy pieces of wood you'll probably like a bandsaw with a fairly low table height, I really like the height of my MM20 (lower than the MM16) when I cut green wood. Being 6'6" you'll probably want to raise the MM16 a bit which would negate the mobility kit. However, be very careful about using castors. The mobility kit that comes with the MM is very similar to the mobility options on most large, heavy industrial woodworking machines. Once you get above 500lbs the tommy bar system (like the MM bandsaws and Euro combo machines) is really the norm and works much better than the 3 or 4 caster bases commonly used on lighter machines (i.e. cabinet saws, small 8" jointers, 14" bandsaws, etc). You might just want to build a stable base and use the Vega mobile base to move the bandsaw around.

nic obie
11-18-2004, 12:51 PM
Maybe things are different on your saw, but I store the handle on my MM16 on the back of the saw.

Turn the handle upside down and stick the short end into one of the holes that is used for lifting the saw.

Mark J Bachler
11-18-2004, 2:14 PM
You'll love the saw, the blades are ok, you can have my mobility if you want it. I've got one for a 35 Smart that I'm tired of tripping over also.

Alan Tolchinsky
11-18-2004, 8:06 PM
the table flatness. My table is not flat so I can't get the whole table square to the blade. I can either get one side or the other( with the slot being the divider) square to the blade but not both sides simultaneously. Mimimax offered to either have mine machined or a new table. I chose a new table and it was the same and I'm stuck with a warped table. I have somewhat mixed feelings about the fix they offered as I thought a new table would have been flat. I wished I'd have chosen the machined route but the important thing is for you to check this out so you're not stuck with it. It's a beautiful saw; you'll love it. Alan in Md.

John Renzetti
11-19-2004, 5:24 AM
Hi, Here's an idea that might work well with other machines also. There's a company called Zambus that makes or sells a caster that has an extendible foot. This way you can move the machine around but still be able to get it firmly on the ground. Some guys on our Felder group have tried them.
take care,
John