PDA

View Full Version : Florida trip

Dave Lehnert
05-01-2010, 9:55 PM
Where would a person want to take a vacation to in Florida?
Just me (40's), No kids or family stuff. Relaxing and not too busy but things to do like Flea Markets to look for tools. Interested in a place on the beach but not a must. Nice slow boat ride ????, Great places to eat. Anything else???
Going to lose my job of 24 years soon. Just like to get away and figure out my next step. A break before starting another job.

David Christopher
05-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Dave, dont know where you would like to vacation, but if you come to Pensacola, stop by

sorry to here about your job, hope everything turns out good

Pat Germain
05-02-2010, 1:03 AM
Sorry to hear about your job loss, Dave.

I have visited and worked in many parts of Florida. I'm thinking Cocoa Beach might a good place for you. It's a nice beach community with good people, which is important to me. You can get a room on the beach for a reasonable rate, compared to other parts of Florida. There are some nice, non-fancy restaurants in the area with much atmosphere be it beach related or space related.

One of the places I stayed was the Holiday Inn, Cocoa Beach. It's not fancy, but it's clean and more than adequate. It was completely rebuilt after a hurricane gave it a good spanking several years ago. That Holiday Inn has rooms with sliding doors that open right onto the beach. Or, for a little less dough, you can stay in a room just off the beach.

The Kennedy Space Center is also right there, should you decide to tour that facility. I haven't done this, but I've heard it's very interesting. They have an actual Saturn V rocket there. (I've always wanted to see one of those.)

The Florida Keys are interesting in their own way. I've spent a lot of time in Key West, but it never grew on me. It's mostly a party town, which isn't my speed. But you can also do some great water sports from The Keys; fishing, snorkeling, SCUBA diving. You name it. And the people there are REALLY laid back.

FYI, I didn't like Miami at all. Lots of rich people and everyone seems kinda angry all the time. As for Fort Lauderdale, again, party, party, party.

Tampa is a nice city with nice people. But I'm not sure it would be a good place to go and chill out. Same goes for Jacksonville Beach.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-02-2010, 1:32 AM
Dave,

The beaches east of Pensacola......around Destin, FL specifically are IMHO some of prettiest in the world. My BIL told us he thought they were prettier than Hawaii, California and Vietnam. After going there we agreed they are gorgeous! There is a lot of things to do there ......dolfin boat tours..para-sailing..etc.....the Naval Aviation Museum is free and is located in Pensacola. That is a must!

A lot of good restaurants in the Destin area.

Good luck....Sorry to hear about the job loss!

Belinda Barfield
05-02-2010, 8:23 AM
Another vote for the Destin, Ft. Walton, Mexico Beach area.

We're headed to Mexico Beach soon with a group of friends. We rent a house right on the beach, eight bedrooms for around $1200. Only two restaurants in the immediate area but that is okay with us.

On the other side of the state I would recommend St. Augustine. The water isn't nearly as pretty but it's a nice place to visit. Pecan Park Flea Market is just up the road in Jacksonville. Ponte Vedra is nice but a little pricy for beach front.

Robert Parrish
05-02-2010, 9:06 AM
If your coming to the gulf coast of Florida you had better come quick before the oil covers all our beaches. I would avoid the north Florida gulf area because the oil spill is heading that way for now. We have great white sand beaches (has been rated best in the world) here in the Sarasota area and also there is a large flea market in Bradenton.

James Rambo
05-02-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm just south of Bradenton Florida. Plenty of fishing boats in the area. Small evening harbor, sunset cruises. Flea markets are small. And the best thing the snowbirds are leaving. Sorry about the job.

Kent A Bathurst
05-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Sit on the beach, comtemplate the nature of the universe, with a chunk of fresh shrimp and one of these:

http://www.sageflyfish.com/dyn_prodlist.php?p=644269216569&k=85161

Ray Bell
05-02-2010, 11:53 AM
I have only been to Florida once for a friends wedding, and that was in Jacksonville. I didn't care much for that area. I did get to Ocala, and Silver Springs though and they were nice. The things I have always wanted to do there are:

Take a ride through the Everglade in one of those airboats.
Catch a Tarpon
Vist the Boca Grande area
Drive to Key West, just to say I have.

Belinda Barfield
05-02-2010, 12:11 PM
After watching the news today, ditto avoiding the gulf coast beaches. I don't really like the Jacksonville area that much either, but I do like St. Augustine. Bradenton is really nice too. The Ocala area is more old Florida, pre-Disney. Silver Springs is kind of fun if you haven't lived in an area like the Springs. Same for Okefenokee Swamp in Georgia.

Ray Bell
05-02-2010, 12:32 PM
"After watching the news today, ditto avoiding the gulf coast beaches".

Yeah, maybe I'll scratch Boca Grande.

On a related subject does anybody read Carl Hiiason, or Tim Dorsey books? Both write historical, and hysterical, fiction about Florida. Both very funny.

Russ Filtz
05-02-2010, 3:52 PM
Tons of huge flea markets in the Tampa/St Pete area. We may be far enough south to avoid the oil but not sure. Generally the gulf coast towns are more filled with midwestern refugees and have that feel and hospitality. The entire east cost is NYC refugees, esp as you get closer to Miami. Depends on what you like.

Dave Lehnert
05-02-2010, 6:11 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips. I will check them all out.

Destin seems to be the place I hear most often from people.

John Shuk
05-05-2010, 10:04 AM
I love the Keys. fishing, SCUBA and snorkeling. I usually stay in Marathon but there are lots of choices.