PDA

View Full Version : How to Cut Vinyl Door

Mike Barton
05-01-2010, 9:44 PM
Hi All

New member but LONG time lurker....I installed a new front door last month and since today was finally warm enough to open it she of course wanted a screen door. I went to the Borg and wandered around and bought a screen door made of solid vinyl....sorry traditionalists....but no paint, no rot, and ought to last a long time.

So here is my question...can I trim this on my table saw ? I was thinking a plywood blade installed backwards but the manufacturer says go ahead and use a circular saw..with a carbide tip blade...anyone cut a piece like this ?

Searched the forums with not much success....

Thanks

Mike B

Jack Wilson
05-01-2010, 9:50 PM
Hey Mike,
I would go ahead and use a circular saw with a carbide blade. Clamp a strait edge on the door to guide yourself, and cut it down. Vinyl will melt a little on you as you cut so you may need to clean it up a little with a sharp razor knife.

Rich Engelhardt
05-02-2010, 3:51 AM
Freud 40 tooth 7 1/4" blade in a circular saw w/a guide.

Works well for either vinyl or aluminum.

A jig saw works also - but - it can wander.

To be perfectly honest though, the last vinyl (plastic) door I trimmed, I did it with a handsaw.
I clamped two pieces of wood to the door - spaced just the width of the saw blade apart - to act as a guide.

It's a lot less messy doing it by hand.

Peter Quinn
05-02-2010, 7:22 AM
I've cut plenty of PVC trim on the TS and with a skill saw. Its messy, the dust sticks to everything, and it stinks, so wear a good dust mask. But it cuts very much like pine with wood working tools.

PS, no apologies on the door! I work in a door shop and installed an aluminum screen storm on my own deck. Built in screen/insulated glass change on teh fly, never needs paint, stands up to kids and dogs, whats not to like?

bill mullin
05-02-2010, 10:14 AM
I installed two of these last fall, cut both to length and had to rip both to width. I just used a regular circular saw, worked fine.

Mike Barton
05-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks all...circular saw and carbide tip blade....will give it a try and post results next weekend...

Thank you again

Mike B

Norman Pyles
05-02-2010, 1:15 PM
I would just like to add, don't use a circular saw blade turned backwards. I think that is an old wives tale. You can buy blades with a negative hook angle if required. Just my $.02 worth. :)