PDA

View Full Version : router for router table

Archer Yates
05-01-2010, 8:51 PM
I am looking for a variable speed router that takes 1/4 and 1/2 inch bits that will screw into a fixed base. The porter cable that come with a fixed base and a plunge router base comes close but is not variable speed. I want to screw the fixed base to the bottom of my tab Delta table saw's laminate table to the right of the cast iron table. This way I can use the table saw fence. I don't want to take up shop space with a stand alone router table.

Do you know of a variable speed router that will meet these requirements.

David Christopher
05-01-2010, 9:07 PM
I have a nice freud that has both 1/4 and 1/2 collets and vari speed.....smooth and quite...2 1/4 HP...got it at woodcraft on sale...$99

also has a collet lock for one wrench tool removal and you can raise and lower from top of table

Jim Terrill
05-01-2010, 9:24 PM
I have this kit and love it: http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-5616-24-Max-Horsepower-Multi-Base-BodyGrip/dp/B000QV1CXW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1272764087&sr=1-2

You can also buy the router with just the fixed base buy you only save $35. I like mine a lot for freehand use, haven't put it in a table yet.

Rich Engelhardt
05-02-2010, 4:22 AM
Freud 1700 here.
Great router for table use!
Above table adjustments will spoil you instantly.
Fixed base is mounted in the table.

Plunge base is ok.
I only wish it could take PC sized inserts w/out an adapter - but - that's just me - I have a tendancy to misplace small pieces parts.

Comes w/both 1/4" and 1/2".

They sell for anywhere between $99 and $199 for the two base kit.

Terry Welty
05-02-2010, 5:44 AM
Have you thought about a Triton? You can get the 3 1/4 HP version that now has a above table crank for easy adjustment and above table bit replacement. You won't need to buy a seperate lift unit... $269 @ Woodcraft and I think free shipping...

Rich Neighbarger
05-02-2010, 1:25 PM
[QUOTE=Archer Yates;1413327]The porter cable that come with a fixed base and a plunge router base comes close but is not variable speed. QUOTE]

Are you sure about that? My PC890 does; I bought it as the 895PK (plunge and fixed base package).

Norman Pyles
05-02-2010, 1:28 PM
If you are referring to the 690 Porter Cable, it is available in a variable speed. I think it's a 693. Is there a reason you want a router that screws into the fixed base? The Hitachi, and Porter Cable are the only two I know of off the top of my head, that the motor screw into the base. The Dewalt is a similar design only you turn a ring instead of the motor.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-02-2010, 3:03 PM
I also bought the Freud 99 buck router from Woodcraft. It came with a router plate. I routed and reinforced a hole in my wing and dropped the router plate in. Works great. Fence slides all the way over, so I use the stock fence. The only thing is that I use the router from the "back", (actually the side) so the fence lock is on the other side of the table saw. I guess if you got used to using the router from the "front" of the table saw, the fence lock will be easy to get to.

Doing that first plunge :eek: into my SS extension wing was hard to do though....