PDA

View Full Version : new Grizzly 1023R - late June?

Kevin Begos
05-01-2010, 6:54 PM
Hello all-

New member, and already glad to see all the great information available here.

Yesterday ordered my first cabinet saw - the Grizzly 1023RLW. Knew beforehand it was on backorder until early May, then got this update today:

"We are currently out of stock of the G1023RLW 3HP Tablesaws and expect to receive a shipment on approximately June 25, 2010."

That's life - I have no problem w/ Grizzly because they didn't charge my card. But now after making the decision to buy a cabinet saw... I want one!

Considering just buying the Grizzly GO690. I know both are similar. Mostly posting to let people know some of the new 1023R's may not be available until late June. Though maybe it's just the one with the router extension.

Van Huskey
05-01-2010, 9:43 PM
Welcome. I know what it is like to wait for a machine, we have really become a "right now" world. Gone are the "4-6 weeks" for delivery of things we order, we order online and expect them by the time we close the computer. Whateevr you do I am sure you will be happy with your Griz

David Christopher
05-01-2010, 9:51 PM
this is what youll be doing when it gets here

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=347&pictureid=3358I say wait for the one that you want

Joe Leigh
05-02-2010, 7:38 AM
I hope that date reflects new orders placed and not previous orders promised for May 11 arrival....

Curt Harms
05-02-2010, 7:58 AM
There have been several instances where people got their machines before the stated date.

Jim O'Dell
05-02-2010, 8:57 AM
I agree, if this is the one you want, the wait will be worth it. Is it possible the early May date was for a different 1023R? They may get released to the states in waves of different models, so some models come in before others. Just a guess on my part.
Keep the positive attitude about the order!!! It will be here before you know it! Jim.

Kevin Begos
05-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Thanks, everyone.

I'm focusing on which one I really want, and to be truthful, the 690 was my first choice, but the 1023R is a little less, and every dollar counts these days.

So maybe I' use the backorder as a reason to step up to the 690, or maybe I'll just wait. Will update when I have a new saw up and running.

Norman Pyles
05-02-2010, 1:02 PM
Get the one you really want. Ten years from now those few dollars won't really matter.

Don Morris
05-02-2010, 7:05 PM
I've got the old 1023. Love it, but if I had the opportunity, I'd prefer the new 1023, that's for sure!!! But, it depends on how much you have to do between now and when the promise date is. $$$ doesn't grow on trees. If a little wait isn't a BIG problem, wait. The 1023 is a great machine. But I've heard those people who say "wait until you find one on Craigs List". Yea, you could be retired in an old people's home by then. My take is: I'd wait some: then, and if, when what I have to do is too pressing, and I could afford the extra bucks, and the wait on the GO690 is negligable, go for it.

Guy Pageau
06-10-2010, 2:56 PM
Hi everyone, like some of you on this post, I am unsure about which one saw from Grizzly to buy, either the G1023RLW or the G0620. Here is a reply from Grizzly explaining the differences between the two saws. I am no expert in woodworing and imy question to you is: if you had to choose between these two, which one would you lean for and why?

Specification G0690 G1023RLW
Country of Origin China Taiwan
Motor Brand Leeson Grizzly
Drive System Triple V-Belt Serpentine Drive Belt
Fence Grizzly (Proprietary) Shop Fox Classic
Max Rip to Right 29 1/2" 26"
Max Rip to Left 12" 8"
Fence Length 48" 41 3/4"
Router Table Extension
Included No Yes
Current Availability In Stock Backorder
Current Price $1,150.00 $1,125.00 (Introductory Price)
Shipping and Handling to Lower 48 States
$144.00 $94.00

The T10222 Router Table Attachment can be added to the G0690. The riving knife systems are similar and are each UL987 listed. The G0690 is an excellent table saw and has received many raving reviews. We have not yet received the first shipment of the G1023RLW to review or compare further. The first shipment is currently expected approximately June 25, 2010. This date is not yet confirmed, and we do fill all backorders first.

Maik Tobin
06-10-2010, 3:47 PM
Interesting....I sent essentially the same email earlier today, and got the following response:

Thank you for your email dated June 10, 2010.

We appreciate your interest in our table saws. I have listed the most noticeable differences between the two machines below:

Specification
G0690
G1023RL
Country of Origin
China
Taiwan
Motor Brand
Leeson
Grizzly
Drive System
Triple V-Belt
Serpentine Drive Belt
Fence
Grizzly (Proprietary)
Shop Fox Classic
Max Rip to Right
29 ½”
26”
Max Rip to Left
12”
8”
Fence Length
48”
41 ¾”
Current Availability
In Stock
Backorder
Current Price
$1,150.00
$1,125.00
Shipping and Handling to Lower 48 States
$144.00
$94.00
Mobile Base
G7314Z
G7314Z

The G0690 is an excellent table saw and has received many raving reviews. We have not yet received the first shipment of the G1023RL to review or compare further. The first shipment is currently expected in approximately 4 to 6 weeks. This date is not yet confirmed; however, we do fill all backorders first in the order of receipt. I have provided ordering information and our freight policy below.

If you would like to place an order, you can do so through our website at www.grizzly.com (http://portal.mxlogic.com/redir/?atTNP3XBXI6QXLK6zB5dZdcS028NAa2xVrBYdTV4QsL6zB55V VVMTsTfX4WdHblzc54oO51gYJOVJZcQsIcCQkNPy9EVuujudFE CMmd96y091xMQsTd41CD6y098Tjp1oldPYfDwedECQjqtTT3hO yCM-UrnPy6zd2), or by calling our Order Desk at 1-800-523-4777. Operators are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time Monday through Friday, and from 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Saturday. Alternatively, if you would like to confirm your complete billing and shipping addresses, telephone number, and a complete list of the items you wish to order, I will be more than happy to set up the order, and provide you with instructions for calling with payment information.

This item is delivered by truck freight. Your address must be tractor-trailer accessible. This delivery is a curbside delivery, which means the driver will pull up to the curb and move the merchandise to the back of the truck. Truck drivers are also subject to a number of regulations, one of which is that they are not required to give any assistance in unloading. Please be prepared for this curbside delivery, as you are responsible for unloading the item and placing it in your shop. This normally requires assistance. We do provide the trucking company with your telephone number, and it is their responsibility to notify you prior to delivery. Delivery will be made during normal business hours.

Our trucking companies offer lift gate service for a very reasonable charge when it is ordered with your Grizzly items. With this service, they will lower the merchandise to the ground for you at curbside. If you are interested in this service, please ask for further information when you place your order.

At the time of delivery, we ask that you please inspect the packaging for any signs of damage, including dents, tears, or holes. If you see any damage, please make sure to notate that on the paperwork the driver gives you to sign. If exterior damage is not noted, filing a freight claim for any damage to the machine can be difficult.

If we may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Grizzly Industrial, Inc.

Still not sure what many of those differences mean...ie fence? Motor? Type of drive?

Van Huskey
06-10-2010, 4:02 PM
Still not sure what many of those differences mean...ie fence? Motor? Type of drive?

The motor:

690 has a Asian made Leeson (not a US) which is a little more efficient 15 vs 18 amps than the Grizzly specced motor also from Asia. Likely a wash.

The fences are similar Shop Fox is a Grizzly brand anyway, though a lot of people have had flatness issues with the 690s fence.

The drive type, the 3 belt drive is an old school system that is rarely used on newly designed machines and causes more vibration and doesn't transmit power as efficiently as a Poly V.

Further the guess is the 1023 will have better dust collection.

If I had my choice I would get a 1023, very proven design and has the belt and dust collection edge. But, since none of the redesigned riving knife 1023s have hit the shores it is still a crap shoot. The 690 seems to be a solid saw but it isn't perfect, nor will the 1023 be.

Maik Tobin
06-10-2010, 4:14 PM
Thanks for that explaination....it helps alot. I am in no hurry as I have no time right now to deal with a new saw, so I may well order a 1023 in the coming weeks. I liked the slider attachment that is available for the GO690, I assume it will also fit the 1023.

Joe Leigh
06-10-2010, 4:33 PM
The G0690 is an excellent table saw and has received many raving reviews. We have not yet received the first shipment of the G1023RL to review or compare further. The first shipment is currently expected in approximately 4 to 6 weeks. This date is not yet confirmed;

This is interesting....First we were told May 11, then pushed back to June 25, now it reads 4-6 weeks from today's date June 10. That puts the date back to the middle-late July.
Glad I decided to look elsewhere.

Guy Pageau
06-10-2010, 10:41 PM
:oThank you Van for the explanation. My first consideration was for the 1023R saw and then I noticed its sister G0690. The latter sure look god with the T-slot extention table T10222, Router table attachment. Here, it comes as an option whereas on the 1023R it is included, although not a T-slot type.
Is the router mount kit T10222 that comes with its extruded aluminun fence worth buying? Not sure if it would fit the none T-slot extention table of the 1023R?

Mark, have you ck with Grizzly to find out if the sliding table attachment T10223 does in fact fit the 1023R saw?

Guy Pageau
06-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Well, looks like I may have to consider other options after all. I have no idea as to why Grizzly is having such a hard time to have its table saw rolled out the factory.

Here is Friday's reply from Grizzly about my order for table saw 1023:

Unfortunately, the estimated arrival date for the backordered G1023RLW Tablesaw has been pushed back to approximately 8/13/10. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We will continue to monitor your order and let you know when the machine is available.

Louie Ballis
06-28-2010, 11:17 PM
I have last years 1023 which came with the router table extension, since it was on close-out with a reduced price I finally pulled the trigger on a cabinet saw.

I know that there are more expensive (better?) table saws out there but I cant imagine how much better they could be.

I didnt think that I would use the router table extension much, as I have two other router tables, but have found out that using the much beefer table saw fence on a cast iron (not laminate) table is a real plus. One downside of this router table is that you cannot use a bushing on the router to center the bit for template work.

All that being said, buy the table you want, even if you have to wait a few weeks. I imagine that you will have this tablesaw for quite some time and will regret getting something just because you dont want to wait for the one you really want.

As for me, I guess I just got lucky! but I bought the tablesaw before I stumbled across this forum.