PDA

View Full Version : load of cherry today

brian watts
05-01-2010, 6:02 PM
i meet up with creeker (Donny Lawson) and went got some cherry logs..thanks DONNY for the wood

the first 2 pic is the cherry i got . i give half the cherry to a real good friend . that built a resaw SLED for my bandsaw .

the next 2 what kind of wood is this???..donny said he was NOT taking any home BUT the wood bug got him and he left with a few good logs of this wood

thanks for looking brian

bob svoboda
05-01-2010, 6:17 PM
Way to go....good score!

Steve Bearden
05-01-2010, 6:18 PM
Always nice to be cutting logs. Thanks again for the wood and thanks to Donny too. I am going to make some sweet stuff one day.(spend all my shop time cutting logs) oh well it will payoff big oneday. Thanks again

brian watts
05-01-2010, 6:37 PM
Always nice to be cutting logs. Thanks again for the wood and thanks to Donny too. I am going to make some sweet stuff one day.(spend all my shop time cutting logs) oh well it will payoff big oneday. Thanks again

Steve hope i didnot get you in trouble with the cherry and maple you go today.. i recut and seal the end up on the cherry evening..

Steve Bearden
05-01-2010, 6:39 PM
She will live. As long as i'm happy is what she says.(yeah right)

Donny Lawson
05-01-2010, 7:29 PM
Glad to see you are enjoying your wood. Brian, I did go and look at all that Hickory and it was nice.I got 3 pieces in my truck and wanted more but I couldn't get it into the truck.Those pieces would make some big nice bowls for someone but I guess they will be picked up and turned into mulch.Theres probally 8-10 pieces that are bigger than a truck tire. One piece I brought home had a nice little burl on it. I'm going to try to turn it in a few days. I got a nice crotch piece that I have already sliced up for a bowl. Just remember,if you need wood just call. I bring it home on a daily basis.
Donny

brian watts
05-01-2010, 8:22 PM
Glad to see you are enjoying your wood. Brian, I did go and look at all that Hickory and it was nice.I got 3 pieces in my truck and wanted more but I couldn't get it into the truck.Those pieces would make some big nice bowls for someone but I guess they will be picked up and turned into mulch.Theres probally 8-10 pieces that are bigger than a truck tire. One piece I brought home had a nice little burl on it. I'm going to try to turn it in a few days. I got a nice crotch piece that I have already sliced up for a bowl. Just remember,if you need wood just call. I bring it home on a daily basis.
Donny

thanks you DONNY and i will be calling for sure.

charlie knighton
05-01-2010, 8:57 PM
good for you, nice gloat

brian watts
05-01-2010, 9:03 PM
does anyone know what kind of wood is in the 3 pic??? is it ELM??

Bob Bergstrom
05-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Guessing Mullberry from the leaves and the brown heart wood.

Bernie Weishapl
05-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Congrats on some nice wood. I also agree it looks like mulberry.

Nathan Hawkes
05-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Mulberry! Seal it up or get it out of the sun for sure. Heavy as hell when its wet. Turns great, and burns good too if you've got excess. Just don't do it in a fireplace. Pops like CRAZY! Really high BTU output though. Think locust level.

Steve Schlumpf
05-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Wow! Congrats on all that wood! Sure love the rich color! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

David E Keller
05-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Great gloat and nice haul. I see some roughing in your future.:D

Donny Lawson
05-02-2010, 9:59 AM
I did notice that when we were loading the "Mystery" wood it was VERY heavy.If it is Mulberry, is it good to turn?
Donny

Leo Van Der Loo
05-02-2010, 5:39 PM
Looks like Mulberry to me both the wood and the leaves tell me it's Mulberry ;-))

Oh and yes it likes to split and check if you don't seal or/and brown bag it, that's been my experience and I turned quite a bit of it over the years, looks great when freshly turned and better after a few years in the light, it is related to Osage Orange and it colors like it.

Donny Lawson
05-02-2010, 8:42 PM
Here are some pics of the "Mystery" wood. I also think it is mulbury.It produced yellow shavings and was stunning when roughed out. I'm glad that Brian talked me into bringing some home.There is 2 large butt cuts left and I may try to go get them this week.
Donny

brian watts
05-02-2010, 8:50 PM
very nice for a log that was going to the MULCH pile......i told you that you need it....lol save me a log hehe..

Donny Lawson
05-02-2010, 9:01 PM
Whenever you need some just give me a call. I bet it will make some nice calls.I did get some pen blanks from the left over piece and I'm going to dry it and should have a pen from it next week. I'll post pics when done.
Donny

Baxter Smith
05-02-2010, 9:45 PM
Nice load of wood!