PDA

View Full Version : Wood in Bahamas

Jim Baker
11-17-2004, 6:36 PM
We're going to Nassau, Bahamas in about 3 weeks and would like to bring home some wood tht is native to that area to use as pen blanks or other small items. Does anyone know what species are native to that area and if bringing wood back violates any laws pertaining to limitations on importing vegetation or other agricultural products?

John Shuk
11-17-2004, 7:51 PM
I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything but some pine there. You might but I'd be surprised.

Michael Stafford
11-17-2004, 8:12 PM
Jim, in my experience you will find some of the most beautiful exotic woods, mahogany and northern temperate woods you can imagine in the bars and restaurants, but I don't think they'll let you have any samples... :p :) :D

Enjoy your vacation, don't worry be happy!!! :D

Tony Falotico
11-17-2004, 8:25 PM
There's a SMC member in Nassau, Dennis Lightbourn ........ PM and ask him.

Pat Monahan
11-18-2004, 1:19 AM
Jim
you may want to contact U.S. Customs for info on importing wood, but be prepared - they may refer you to the department of agriculture
Have a great trip
Pat

Dennis Lightbourn
11-23-2004, 1:52 PM
Hi Jim,
I'll do some digging both for wood and your Govt's regs - there are both US Customs and USDA offices here. Ours is a very small market and all of our lumber (99.99999% softwood) is imported. There are a couple of guys that turn, but they harvest/forage/scrounge whatever they are using. I've seen lignum vitae, mahogany, lime, sour-orange, pigeon plum and a few other local woods.

At the very least I can show your a couple samples of what "Big Mike" refered to!

Dennis

Mac McAtee
11-23-2004, 6:05 PM
You won't have any problems bringing wood back as long as there is no evidence of wood eating insects and no bark on the wood.

Don't bring back wormy wood, wood with holes in it from bugs, wood with any bark on it or in it. Other than that you'll have no trouble.

When they give you that Customs form on the airplane, declare what you have and write on the form that "There is no evidence of wood eating insects nor any bark on the wood." Home free and clear.

Jim Baker
11-23-2004, 8:10 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm sure I'll see some of the things that Mike referenced, but I doubt that they would want to part with much of that.

I'll also check with the travel company that is putting the trip together. Sometimes they can be really helpful.

I'm not wanting to bring a bunch of stuff back. Just a few small pieces to make some pens or something else small to keep as a memory of the trip.

I know people have brought back stuff like carved elephants, fish, and dolphins from past trips. My daughter suggested I bring back one or two of those and cut it into pen blanks when I get home. :D

Maurice Ungaro
11-24-2004, 2:58 PM
Jim,
If you're not talking about a great quantity of wood, why don't you consider mailing to yourself? Also helps with space in your luggage.

Maurice

Dennis Lightbourn
11-25-2004, 11:29 AM
I checked with your USDA rep. at our pre-clearence center at the airport "no bugs, no bark - it's good to go!"

Dennis

Jim Baker
11-27-2004, 7:26 AM
I checked with your USDA rep. at our pre-clearence center at the airport "no bugs, no bark - it's good to go!"

Dennis

Thanks for checking this out, Dennis. We're looking forward to visiting your area.

Jim Baker
12-07-2004, 8:09 PM
I've seen lignum vitae, mahogany, lime, sour-orange, pigeon plum and a few other local woods.

At the very least I can show your a couple samples of what "Big Mike" refered to!

Dennis

We're heading your way tomorrow, Dennis. We'll see what we can scare up while we're there.