PDA

View Full Version : Router extension on table saw - left vs right side

Britt Lifsey
05-01-2010, 4:22 PM
Like many others, my shop is small and I would like to incorporate a router table into the table saw extension/wing. I presume most are on the right because of the extra length for the fence system. Is there another reason?

My TS is a Craftsman contractor style saw with only 26" or so fence travel on right side. My shop is skinny (about 12' X 23') and the rear left corner has a small 6'X6' room built into it. I keep the TS facing front of shop (so my back isn't to the double 4' doors) and almost touching right side wall. This way, for ripping longer boards, I can use the open area in rear of shop for infeed area. On occasion, I'll spin TS 90* to crosscut long pieces. I don't cut full sheet goods on TS but use straight edge clamp and circular saw.

So, I'm thinking a router table on right extension would not practical. Other than going against common practice, any reason not to put one on the left extension? It would replace the normal extension not add to it to like most are done on the right side.

Hope all that makes since...seems very confusing trying to type it out! If anyone has a router setup on left extension, I'd love to hear about it or see pics.

John Morrison60
05-01-2010, 6:35 PM
Britt

Most cabinet saws also have clearance issues to the motor cover
on the side of the saw.
On a right tilt saw the motor sticks out of the cabinet on the right side.
So a router extension would go on the left side but not the right side.

I have a router extension on the left side of my Unisaw and like it very much.

You do not have that problem, you can put yours on either side.
Put in on whichever side works best for your small shop.

Good Luck
John

Chip Lindley
05-01-2010, 7:00 PM
Either side is good since you have a CS-type saw. Whatever works for you is what matters most.

Britt Lifsey
05-01-2010, 8:47 PM
Thanks for the replies and help.!!!