PDA

View Full Version : American Sycamore Crotch HF

George Guadiane
05-01-2010, 3:15 PM
I picked up this piece of wood from my mulch yard on Wednesday of this week. I roughed the outside that night (and took a shower in the process).
Last night, I hollowed it to finished, but it was still weeping, so I left it between centers to dry so I could sand it properly...
This morning, I started sanding over with 180 and went through the grits... Dust everywhere and the flat finish spots came up to a shine, so I'm calling it dry AND finished.
It is sanded to 600 and it has a microcrystaline wax finish
8 1/2 inches high by 7 inches in diameter.

As Always, All Comments, Critiques and Questions Welcome.

Mike McAfee
05-01-2010, 3:22 PM
I like it George, Nice form and finish!

I have some dunnowood that looks a like this in grain and figure so I'm betting its at least of the same family!

MMc

Steve Schlumpf
05-01-2010, 3:43 PM
George - sure is some pretty wood! Great form - really like the foot being tucked under just a little! Amazed at all the color! Thanks for sharing!

bob svoboda
05-01-2010, 6:20 PM
Just beautiful, George. Nice form and finish and definitely a pretty piece of wood.

John Keeton
05-01-2010, 6:34 PM
George, that wood is awesome - great grain, and the color is really nice. As a tree, Sycamore is a favorite of mine - beautiful in the winter. I have turned one piece of sycamore, and it turned very well. You did right by this one.

Mark Burge
05-01-2010, 6:45 PM
Very nice piece George. I love the way sycamore looks. It is very subtle but has a lot going on when you look close. Great form and well executed. Sycamore is a lot easier to turn when it is green. Once it's dry it is much harder.

Baxter Smith
05-01-2010, 6:48 PM
That is a beautiful piece of wood with great grain and color. I have only seen sycamore limbs cut up alongside the road by powerline crews. Is that the normal color when finished? Very nice piece!

George Guadiane
05-01-2010, 7:37 PM
Thank you everyone! The more I look at this piece, the more squat it looks... But it DOES finish pretty nice.

That is a beautiful piece of wood with great grain and color. I have only seen sycamore limbs cut up alongside the road by powerline crews. Is that the normal color when finished? Very nice piece!

The color gets less pink over time, but the textured look of the grain stands out a bit more as a result.

David E Keller
05-01-2010, 8:24 PM
Pretty wood... Nice looking piece.

charlie knighton
05-01-2010, 8:47 PM
very nice....

Bill Bulloch
05-01-2010, 9:03 PM
I like the color of your Sycamore piece. I turned a green bowl last year and it was about the same color. I have just finished turning a segmented piece out of Kiln Dryed Sycamore the color of it is a light tan with sort of a leathery looking texture. The problem I had with it is that I broke out on both arms and the left side of my neck, like Poison Ivy. Another allergy I guess

brian watts
05-01-2010, 9:05 PM
very nice grain and color

Bernie Weishapl
05-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Really nice form, wood and finish.