PDA

View Full Version : Converting Jet contractor saw to 220

RichMagnone
11-17-2004, 6:27 PM
First off, I am a know nothing when it comes to electricity. I have a Jet contractor tablesaw (JWTS-10JF). I have many 110 and one 220 lines in my garage/shop. Right now, the Jet operates as it did "out of the box" eight years ago - on the 110 cord that came with it. Often, when I start up the Jet, I will blow a fuse in the garage (especially in winter when a heater is pulling electricity on the same fuse).

I have been told that if I convert to 220 which is on its own fuse, I will be doing the motor a favor, I will get "better" power and I will not blow out the fuse on startup.

First, is that true?
Second, how do I convert from 110 to 220?

Thanks!

Chris Padilla
11-17-2004, 6:40 PM
Assuming the motor is designed to be wired either way (and it probably is), odds are good there is a diagram on the motor or on the inside the cover plate or "lid" of the motor. Also, the manual (if you can find it...perhaps look online?) might have something for you.

You have been correctly told about rewiring for 240 V...go for it. Also, you could look into having another circuit or two of 120 V wired up.

Kevin Beck
11-17-2004, 8:54 PM
I have the same saw and converted over to 220V when I rewired my garage last winter. There is a diagram both in the manual and under the cover plate of the little box attached to the motor that shows how to make the switch.

It involves changing some color coded wires from one terminal to another.

You will also need a new plug for the end of the power cord.

It took me less than 20 minutes to make the swap and add a new plug.

Kevin