PDA

View Full Version : Apology to Steve Schlumpf

bob svoboda
05-01-2010, 2:10 PM
Steve, I'm sorry. Awhile back you posted something that really made me chuckle. This morning, I went to my shop to finish a HF I started earlier in the week. I started the piece spinning and began to cut. For some reason I couldn't get my tool to cut, so I tried another tool. That wouldn't cut either, so I sharpened both. They still would't cut!!:mad: I fought it for about 10 minutes and was ready to give it up, turned off the lathe and when it slowed noticed it was spinning in REVERSE:mad::mad:. So Steve, I'm sorry I laughed when you shared a similar experience...Now I understand:D
BTW-the piece ended up as a lovely funnel.....I think I'll go to the store now and get ready to fix a lovely dinner for LOML. Hope I don't burn it!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-01-2010, 2:12 PM
Ooops!:eek::rolleyes::D

Bob.....and the sad part.......we've all done it and will do it again!

alex carey
05-01-2010, 2:22 PM
been there done that!

Mike McAfee
05-01-2010, 3:24 PM
I can't count the times I've done it.... as recent as this week!

MMc

Steve Schlumpf
05-01-2010, 3:33 PM
Bob - nothing better than learning a lesson and being entertained at the same time! :D

Steve Mawson
05-01-2010, 4:15 PM
Another tough cut is using a scraper upside down.

Rich Aldrich
05-01-2010, 5:16 PM
I tried the scraper upside down once.

I guess a test for hollowing and turning direction would be if the cutter cuts on the opposite side, then you know it is running backwards.

I am just learning and have done a number of these things. So far, everything has stayed on the lathe, but as soon as things seem different, I stop and check things out. That was one thing that really stuck out in my mind during my lesson from Steve.

Bernie Weishapl
05-01-2010, 5:20 PM
Ahh shoot Bob I thought I was the only one that did that and what makes it worse is when you wife asks you if the lathe is going the right direction.:mad:

Jon Lanier
05-01-2010, 7:01 PM
Sometimes each generation (and in this instance turner) has to find out for itself that the stove is hot.

Jim Underwood
05-01-2010, 7:08 PM
Sometimes each generation (and in this instance turner) has to find out for itself that the stove is hot.

That's NOT actually what Will Rogers said... (http://thinkexist.com/quotation/there_are_three_kinds_of_men-the_one_that_learns/332124.html) :D;)

Jon Lanier
05-01-2010, 9:41 PM
That's NOT actually what Will Rogers said... (http://thinkexist.com/quotation/there_are_three_kinds_of_men-the_one_that_learns/332124.html) :D;)

Wow, I didn't know Will Rogers said something like that. I've been saying it when I started ministry... as a youth minister.

Scott Hackler
05-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Not only have I done this, but my brain couldnt conclude why the tool kept wanting to rise up off the tool rest! :)

James Combs
05-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Sure glad my lathe doesn't have reverse on it or I would be telling the same story.

Harlan Coverdale
05-02-2010, 2:25 AM
That Steve...always the pioneer. :D

I tried the scraper upside down once.

That works perfectly when the lathe is running in reverse. Shoots all the curlies straight to the floor, too. Put a trash can down there and bingo! No cleanup. And if you get a catch, it simply rips the tool out of your hands and throws it into the ceiling where it sticks safely, sparing you from getting an ugly nick in the tool rest.

I find the best blanks to reverse turn like that are those I've cut out on the bandsaw with an upside down blade. I love the steamy smell of smoking green wood. :p

Table saw blades also cut more slowly when they're installed backwards. Or at least that's what I've heard. :rolleyes:

Randy Gazda
05-02-2010, 1:40 PM
I use to be jealous of everyone that had a lathe with reverse. Now I know there is at least one advantage. LOL.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-02-2010, 1:54 PM
I use to be jealous of everyone that had a lathe with reverse. Now I know there is at least one advantage. LOL.

Not if you get up on the wrong side of the bed.....Pun intended!:eek::D

Keith Harrell
05-02-2010, 2:57 PM
I won't mention how easy it is to but a table saw blade on backwards I guess. Still cuts if you can see it through all the smoke.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-02-2010, 4:26 PM
I've put a brand new bandsaw blade in upside down. Wondered why it was such a POS and made so much noise. I even CHECKED IT TWICE! Yes, it does cut.

Good thing my Jet mini can't spin in reverse.:)

Jamie Straw
05-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Did that with a dado-blade set one time, almost set the tablesaw on fire. :D :D

Jon Finch
05-03-2010, 9:43 AM
hahaha, I thought I might be the only one to have done this and actually "worked" at for a few minutes before figuring it out :o.

Don Geiger
05-03-2010, 1:09 PM
You guys just gave me a great idea! How about a beeper that lets you know when the lathe is in reverse!

We have two Toyota Prius cars and I took both to the dealer to have the reverse beepers turned off. It's very annoying in a car but would be good information to have on a lathe.

Don Geiger

Mac Carlton
05-03-2010, 10:43 PM
They make lathes with reverse:confused:

alex carey
05-15-2010, 4:32 AM
yeah, most of the larger lathes have reverse, generally used for sanding and finishing.

Karl Card
05-15-2010, 4:56 AM
eheheh I wished I could afford a lathe with reverse...

On a serious note though I have to ask what you would use reverse for? other than not to cut something...lol

I am thinking I would use it for sanding but that is just a thought. On certain wood when I sand my pens I manually reverse it sand. Some wood it bring up the grain and some wood it makes it realy nice...

Karl Card
05-15-2010, 9:53 AM
You guys just gave me a great idea! How about a beeper that lets you know when the lathe is in reverse!

We have two Toyota Prius cars and I took both to the dealer to have the reverse beepers turned off. It's very annoying in a car but would be good information to have on a lathe.

Don Geiger

ahahah is either one of them blue? !!!!...

there is a comedian that talks about a blue prius.. the ventriliquist i think.

Vince Welch
05-18-2010, 3:29 AM
Steve, I'm sorry. Awhile back you posted something that really made me chuckle. This morning, I went to my shop to finish a HF I started earlier in the week. I started the piece spinning and began to cut. For some reason I couldn't get my tool to cut, so I tried another tool. That wouldn't cut either, so I sharpened both. They still would't cut!!:mad: I fought it for about 10 minutes and was ready to give it up, turned off the lathe and when it slowed noticed it was spinning in REVERSE:mad::mad:. So Steve, I'm sorry I laughed when you shared a similar experience...Now I understand:D
BTW-the piece ended up as a lovely funnel.....I think I'll go to the store now and get ready to fix a lovely dinner for LOML. Hope I don't burn it!

Try to make a cut while the lathe is running in reverse?!?!? I cannot relate and have no idea what you guys are talking about....:D:D:D I wish... It has been a long time but it might have happened once or twice... Then it hits me in 2 parts:
1. I relizing I made the mistake.
2. Is the time it took me to figure out what was going on... that part I do not care for!!!

Vince

GLENN THOMAS
05-18-2010, 9:49 AM
The only thing worse than leaving your lathe in reverse is leaving your car in reverse and backing into the swimming pool. I hate when that happens !!!

GT

Scott Hackler
05-18-2010, 10:12 AM
eheheh I wished I could afford a lathe with reverse...

On a serious note though I have to ask what you would use reverse for? other than not to cut something...lol

I am thinking I would use it for sanding but that is just a thought. On certain wood when I sand my pens I manually reverse it sand. Some wood it bring up the grain and some wood it makes it realy nice...

Karl,

I use the reverse function all the time for sanding purposes, but I also will use it to turn an undercut on a bowl. Instead of reaching around to undercut the bowl closest to where I am standing I just reverse it and turn the other side. Very handy and a whole lot easier to reach in there and see what your doing.