PDA

View Full Version : Dead electric string trimmer

Chris Kennedy
05-01-2010, 6:47 AM
I'm hoping the collective wisdom of the Creek can help me on this.

I was out in my yard, cleaning up the edges of the lawn with the electric weed whacker after I had mowed. I had trimmed around a couple of flower beds, and down one side of the walkway. Released the trigger, walked to the other side to the other side, pulled the trigger to start, and . . .

Nothing. Nada. Nil. Zilch.

It has worked fine until that moment. Never temperamental or anything. Just fine.

I checked the obvious (it hadn't come unplugged, the circuit breaker hadn't been thrown, the GFI was fine, plugged other things into the socket and the extension cord and they worked). The problem is clearly with the trimmer. My problem is, I have no idea where to even start to diagnose the issue. The machine isn't that old (4 years?). Should I even try to fix it, or is this my excuse to buy a gas one?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

Mitchell Andrus
05-01-2010, 7:52 AM
Check the switch, typically the cheapest part.

Mitch's fix-it policy:

1. Kind language and a 'tsk-tsk'.
2. Screw driver and pliers.
3. The dreaded "driveway drop" and a credit card.

'course, this is the perfect opportunity to UPGRADE to a gas powered, fire breathing, torque your arms off, It's got a cup holder, takes an hour to do an oil change, neighbors called the cops again, special insurance required...REAL MAN'S TOOL!!!!!

Man-Up, man. Go shopping.

David G Baker
05-01-2010, 9:09 AM
Time to go shopping unless the trimmer was a high end unit. Most electric trimmers are disposable in my experience. If you want to try a fix check the area where you trigger it. Interface parts are where the problems are in most cases.

Curt Harms
05-02-2010, 10:29 AM
but we've used a plug-in electric mower for years. The brushes need to be replaced periodically. It could also be a switch problem. The switches on these things aren't exactly industrial grade. Electric string trimmers are cheap.......

Kent A Bathurst
05-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Mitch - What - no goats?

Mitchell Andrus
05-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Mitch - What - no goats?

I couldn't find any V8 powered goats, but I'm looking. (unless you count the GTO)