PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide on wood for frame (diploma)

Robert gree
05-01-2010, 5:58 AM
Well 3 years after dropping out of highschool to take a full time job at a grocery store to help with bills and such i finally went and took my GED test and got my diploma. Now i would like to build a stunning frame to display it in but cannot decide on wood. I was thinking spalted or quilted maple. Definitely want something figured.

Open to any and all suggestions, Also if you have some lumber you think would be suited post a picture and a price :D

Ron Jackson
05-01-2010, 9:12 AM
Don't know how your home is decorated or what your particular tastes lean toward......but, if you like the "Mission" or "Stickley" look, then figured quarter-sawn white oak makes beautiful frames. I make several each month for different applications. Google "Mission style frames" and get some ideas. Good luck and congratulations on getting that diploma........Now, go get you another one !

Brian Effinger
05-01-2010, 2:11 PM
Congrats on getting your diploma. Either of those woods would work. Also, check out the video the Wood Whisperer made on making a frame: http://thewoodwhisperer.com/80-nicoles-picture-frame/

Brendan Plavis
05-01-2010, 4:06 PM
Congrats.... I am glad you went back and got your deplomia.... Since nowdays, you cannot get a job at the local corner store, packing meat, without a deplomia....