PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried a home ultrasound unit?

Stephen Tashiro
05-01-2010, 12:31 AM
During today's physical therapy for my Achilles tendonitis, I got a few minutes of ultrasound heat treatment. I was surprised at how much better the area felt afterwards. I wonder if the home owners ultrasound units are equivalent to the ones used by the pros.

Another question is whether ultrasound heat treatment is effective, but that's a secondary issue - we're talking about a tool here. Perhaps I could use it to dry paint or something.

Mitchell Andrus
05-01-2010, 7:23 AM
My wife is into some intense PT for her broken wrist. She's using rice in a pillow case popped into the microwave (therapist's instructions, I would have gotten her a heating pad). She says it's just what's needed, holds heat and is a snap to re-heat.

But... I vote for the gizmonic-tron. As long as we get pictures.

David G Baker
05-01-2010, 9:13 AM
I use a Tens unit to zap painful areas with electric pulses. Works well for me. It feels like a deep tissue massage. Best idea is to talk to your DR. You will need to get a prescription to get the unit covered by your insurance.

Stephen Tashiro
05-01-2010, 1:34 PM
The homeowners ultrasound units I see advertised on the web aren't more expensive than a contractors table saw, so I'm not worried about needing a prescription. (I wonder if I could get a doctor to prescribe a table saw (?),)

David G Baker
05-01-2010, 2:10 PM
At one time while living in Northern California I had a Dr. that would have prescribed the Queen Mary for me if I asked for it. He was busted for prescribing pain killers to an undercover Narc. A friend of mine was able to get all of the pain meds he wanted for years after the injury was healed and probably forgotten with the exception of his addiction to the pain killers prescribed by this Dr.
Any doctor worth his salt should prescribe a Saw Stop as a preventative item to all of his woodworking patients. :D

Mitchell Andrus
05-01-2010, 2:13 PM
Any doctor worth his salt should prescribe a Saw Stop as a preventative item to all of his woodworking patients. :D

Sell $3,000.00 worth of woodworking projects and it's deductible as business expense.