PDA

View Full Version : 120v Sawstop Cabinet Saw... ??

Van Huskey
04-30-2010, 10:43 PM
A little birdy told me today that SS is coming out with a 1 3/4hp PCS to run on 120v, the birdy is usually not wrong BUT I was surprised as I have not seen any buzz. Maybe I missed it? Or is the birdy incorrect...

Dan Friedrichs
04-30-2010, 11:05 PM
I can't imagine there is any market for that. They already have the contractor saw. Who would this appeal to? People who want a heavy, expensive, non-mobile saw, but are unwilling to spend $100 having a 220 outlet installed?

Mitchell Andrus
04-30-2010, 11:19 PM
Maybe there's a price point to be reached and the motor is the last place left to trim some fat.

Or... a label has picked them up for a semi-pro model. Could we see SS Lite at Lowes?

Victor Robinson
05-01-2010, 1:19 AM
I just bought a PCS. I chose it over the CS mainly because of the better dust collection of the cabinet + blade guard. The extra power was a bonus for me.

Had they had a 1.75hp version of the PCS available for near the CS price, I definitely would have considered it. I'm not sure how many folks there are like me, but I think there's a market there.

William Duffer
05-01-2010, 3:02 AM
I would definitely be in the market for it. I would have to spend a lot more than a hundred bucs to get a 220 volt line dropped.

Chris Kennedy
05-01-2010, 6:34 AM
I would definitely be in the market for it. I would have to spend a lot more than a hundred bucs to get a 220 volt line dropped.

From the sounds of it, it would be a hybrid saw, and judging by the number of hybrids already on the market, there is a market for them.

I'm with William on this one. When I bought my saw, I was renting, so 220 wasn't an option. Even now with my house, which I will be renting from the bank for the next 26 years, it would cost me significantly to install a 220 circuit in my shop.

Chris

scott spencer
05-01-2010, 7:15 AM
I've not heard anything about this, but it's a good idea IMHO. I'd guess it'd appeal to the current hybrid market, which is huge. Considering the timing of the release, IMO the SS contractor saw really should have been a hybrid all along...there's just no advantage of having the motor hanging out the back unless you need access to it often. I was surprised that SS even introduced a contractor saw instead of a hybrid, and thought it was a strategic error on their part. By the time the SS contractor saw hit the market, all the major names already offered some version of a hybrid saw.

Paul Ryan
05-01-2010, 9:22 AM
This is just speculation on my part. But I really doubt it will be a new saw. I would be willing to bet they will just take the contractor motor and mount it in the chassis of the PCS saw. And put the cheap fence from the contractor on it and knock off $500. Call it a $2499 for a cabinet saw that can run on 120v. A 1 3/4 hp motor is enough for 95% of all home wood workers. If you add on all the accessories on the contractor you end up with a price close to that.

Van Huskey
05-02-2010, 9:07 PM
I wouldn't expect a huge price drop just available for those that can't have 220 but with all the adavantages of a cabinet saw, plus having cabinet mounted trunnions it would trump a true hybrid.