PDA

View Full Version : Is Walmart Good For America?

Rich Konopka
11-17-2004, 5:31 PM
We all talk about Walmart and its low prices. But how Low is Low? I recently watched a couple of shows on Walmart. I really wonder how it affects me personally, affects my family? My friends? or my country? I can honestly say that I don't shop there.

Frontline (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/) and CNBC (http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/CNBCTV/Articles/TVReports/P100061.asp)

Kevin Arceneaux
11-17-2004, 5:44 PM
Neither do I. Can't stand the place.

Lloyd Frisbee
11-17-2004, 5:53 PM
Walmart = Microsoft

Soon there will be 1 store to shop at
1 food company
1 oil company
1 cable company
1 company thats owns everything

"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me"

Tyler Howell
11-17-2004, 6:12 PM
Saw the Frontline Special Last night. Pretty powerful.

I don't shop there because I don't like the quality of the produducts or that Mega Borg environment.

Jim Young
11-17-2004, 6:33 PM
We don't shop there because there isn't one close.

Michael Perata
11-17-2004, 6:35 PM
Walmart comments:

If you are a consumer looking for price only - good

If you are out of work and need a job - okay

If you work for a mom & pop competitor of Walmart - be very aware

If you are a supplier with a successful product - watch out, they'll get it made in China

If you are a small town with a large piece of available land - watch out, you won't be the same again.

Walmart is smart marketing to a lazy consumer.

Ron Jones near Indy
11-17-2004, 6:48 PM
I go there only as a last resort.

Chris Padilla
11-17-2004, 6:51 PM
Walmart *could* possibly be heading towards a monopoly like the Bells and the Gov't won't allow that. I actually doubt this will happen but it could. Capitalism is great and Walmart is taking every opportunity and scoring big.

Curt Harms
11-17-2004, 6:58 PM

I don't shop there because I don't like the quality of the produducts or that Mega Borg environment.

with a lot of their stuff, the quality isn't there. Black & Decker anyone? :D I don't expect the world, but at least some of their clothing leaves a lot to be desired. My 2 Centavos.

Curt

Steve Clardy
11-17-2004, 7:19 PM
Being up front here. I do not mind this being posted. Not bothered one bit about it.
But I don't feel like I can vote on it as I have a lot of relatives in Arkansas that work for Walmart. They do depend on those jobs.
Now. They can tell you a LOT of walmart stories. Some of them kinda scary.
Steve:)

Michael Stafford
11-17-2004, 7:42 PM
I personally don't shop there anymore. When it first came to town I did. One year on the day before Thanksgiving my wife is working on the big meal. Our 20 year old can opener died. She sent me to get one. I went to Walmart and bought one. Brought it home plugged it in. Wouldn't open a can- no cutter. Packed it up went back, stood in line, got another. Brought it home plugged it in. Wouldn't work. Don't know why but it would not run. Took it back and haven't been back since. That said in another thread I mentioned that 90 million shop at Walmart every week. Hard to argue with that...

Ken Garlock
11-17-2004, 7:48 PM

Tyler, I would ask myself if I were getting the entire story, or just a one-sided view. We must be aware of "agendas" and sensationalizing.

Howard Norman
11-17-2004, 7:58 PM
Of course I shop at WalMart. There are certainly some things that I don't buy at Walmart. It is not the place for tools. However, for run of the mill groceries, personal hygene items the prices can't be beat.

Many of the small town stores that WalMart has forced out of business needed to be forced out or remodled. No one had done anything to bring some of those stores up to the 20th century for a long, long time.

Just my two cents.

Howard

John Shuk
11-17-2004, 8:03 PM
I shop at Walmart and feel like I have to shower when I leave....Yet I go back. They often sell what I need yet it is out of stock. The help doesn't help. There are alot of things to hate but they are about the only game in town around here. their prices are MUCH lower on some items. On diapers we can save about 8 or 9 dollars per box. On baby food the price is about half. You just have to avoid all the point of purchase crap that they reap huge profits on to truly save. I don't think lower prices are ultimately good for our economy yet I can't help but want to pay less. I guess I'll pay the piper down the road. One big question though.....Was this an issue when Woolworth's and KMART or even Sears were the kings? Walmart is just taking it to the next level.
PS. The Bells monopoly made sense. Proper regulation was the key. The problem was that government did what it does best. Broke something that worked.

Jim Becker
11-17-2004, 8:28 PM
Double-edged sword...Walmart provides a way for many folks to provide needed things for their families "affordably", while at the same time driving out local businesses that add a lot of value to the community in other ways. That is what happened to the town I grew up in; first through K-Mart and now through Walmart across the highway. "Main Street", which was rich in variety when I was growing up has been left to an odd assortment of stores that pretty much seem "temporary" and cater to tourist crowds, rather than the local residences. Only a few businesses have survived in the last 20 years since these "mega stores" came to town. There are NO chain supermarkets left and only one local supermarket that is now back to one location...and it's not downtown where city residents could walk and shop.

Personally, I don't shop at Walmart nor did I renew my Sam's Club membership. I only go to Kmart to buy jeans 'cause their house brand wears like iron and fits my butt.

But then again, I'm not that great of a citizen toward other local retailers, either, since 80% of the goods that I buy are ordered on the Internet. Food for thought...

John Weber
11-17-2004, 8:47 PM
I dislike Wal-Mart, but do shop there for commodity items. Our store is fairly clean, but some of the people you see - well that is another topic. Prices are mostly good, but for items that matter: tools, electronics, meat, etc... we typically go elsewhere. I think the biggest thing that gripes me about Wal-Mart is they can't buy enough cart rack for the parking lot. They can have 8,000 handicap spaces, but no where to put a used cart. With two kids it's important to have one close so you don't leave the kids alone for more then a few seconds. I still always park way in the back.

I also worked at Philips (Magnavox) in the early 90's when Wal-Mart had there big "Made in USA" campaign. We would plaster Made in the USA all over the place. Wal-Mart would beat on us for price, and accept every return under the sun, it's amazing how many projection TV's are returned after the super bowl. Well now Magnavox TV's are mostly made in Mexico, and everything Wal-Mart sells seems to come from China.

Oh well - John

Rich Konopka
11-17-2004, 9:03 PM
I also worked at Philips (Magnavox) in the early 90's when Wal-Mart had there big "Made in USA" campaign. We would plaster Made in the USA all over the place. Wal-Mart would beat on us for price, and accept every return under the sun, it's amazing how many projection TV's are returned after the super bowl. Well now Magnavox TV's are mostly made in Mexico, and everything Wal-Mart sells seems to come from China.

John:

It is too coincidental that you mentioned Phillips. The Frontline piece (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/interviews/hopson.html) had a segment that touches close to home for you.

Hmmm.

Chuck Wintle
11-17-2004, 9:33 PM
Its funny the love/hate relationship we have with Walmart. While most shoppers love Walmart's low prices and range of basic commodities we hate what they have to do to get those low prices. I think that in a few years, as more and more jobs end up in China, that the standard of living of all Amercans will slip.

Michael Cody
11-17-2004, 9:51 PM
It's popular to beat up on Walmart -- just like Microsoft --- they are biggest game around and that makes them a target.

Walmart brings good selections, good price, good availability to places where it was often not available before. Around here in Michigan, we have Meijer which is my opinion is a superior retailer. However to compete with Walmart they have decreased employment, changed to the no-bagger checkout lines, etc.. They have done so along with major renovations. All-in-all they are still superior. It's our capitalist society -- where there is a need or niche to be filled, someone will fill and make money at it.

The biggest issue with Walmart is not how it beats up suppliers on pricing, it's how they drive the cost of handling/selling goods as low as possible. This drives their competitors to be more efficient. So far they don't outsource their work to overseas, etc.. they do it all themselves. That is a good point as it shows that it's not a slam-dunk that you have to divest yourself of internal services -- IT, personnel, etc.. to "Concentrate on your core competencies" as so many outsourcers and failing companies say you have to do. I work with a lot of Walmart suppliers and I review a lot of case studies on Walmart and other big retailers. Walmart "IS" better than almost anyone else, they is why they are successful.

Now to the point "Is Walmart Hurting the USA" -- I say no -- they are taking advantage of a situation. They drive innovation, etc... Is change painful "YES" and lots of companies are finding that out. I miss the mom & pop places but oddly enough not all of them fail, many adapt and thrive by finding a niche the big guys can't find. It's only 10-20% but that is capitalism. As to cheap goods, we are on a race to bottom and lord help us when we get there...

The scary thing here is the effect of the global economy on the good old USA. You have to realize the real baby boom we have to worry about is in China.. if we go to China and only hire 1 employee in a million (the best of that million) ... we have 1300:eek: to choose from. In the USA you have 28. Last year China graduated 6 million engineers -- the US & India together only graduated 4 million. That is what we have to worry about. Our only hope is to drive consumerism in Asia to build a class of people so those 6 million engineers want to buy items and build their own economic power ... if they are just going to try and sell here -- we are doomed because they will take so many jobs we won't have the money to support them by buy their goods. The transition is painful, but it has to come, we have to build a consumer economy worldwide, it takes our economic engine in the Western industrialized nations to build it ... but if we don't we won't have an economy left to worry about.

John Weber
11-17-2004, 10:20 PM
Wow, thanks for the link. I worked with and for Tom Hopson for almost 6 years. It was one of the best jobs I ever had. Tom is a good guy and makes strong truthful points in the story. I left Philips before the employee buyout of the plant, but I know it's been tough. Makes me dislike Wal-Mart even more.

John

P.S. As Tom stated in the story, when Sam Walton was alive it was BUY AMERICAN and American jobs. Since his death it's been buy the cheapest possible. I bet he is rolling over in his grave seeing the monster Wal-Mart has become...

Tyler Howell
11-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Tyler, I would ask myself if I were getting the entire story, or just a one-sided view. We must be aware of "agendas" and sensationalizing.Ken,
I didn't base my decision on Frontlines program. That decision was made years ago with my first trip. As I said Megga-Borg & Product quality is a major downer. That story was very clear.
If the details of the in depth report are true. we are all in trouble.
Competition is good for the economy. A well run company with a quality product deserves to prosper and all members share in the fruits. It does not sound like that is the case. Might doesn't make right.
Ole Sam provides a pay check for a lot of people. That is a good thing. At the expense of others or their civil rights. Open for much more debate.

James Giordano
11-18-2004, 5:18 AM
I shop at wal-mart all the time. I buy stuff like dvd's, film for the camera, stuff for the kid, pet food, frying pans, small appliances, woodworking magazines and all kinds of stuff like that. Where I live there is a K-mart right next door to Wal-mart and they both seem to be doing good business.

Rich Konopka
11-18-2004, 7:59 AM
Wow, thanks for the link. I worked with and for Tom Hopson for almost 6 years. It was one of the best jobs I ever had. Tom is a good guy and makes strong truthful points in the story. I left Philips before the employee buyout of the plant, but I know it's been tough. Makes me dislike Wal-Mart even more.

There has been two contrasting stories in this thread. Steve Clardy has family members earning a lliving wage (I assume) and then John Weber who worked for Phillips and personally knows the people.

What Walmart is doing is what capitalism is all about. However, they are pushing it to the limits and it is affecting Americans in both good and bad.

I personally do not like Walmart and do not shop there. I shop at Target. Is Target any better? I prefer Costco over any store. They are very good in pricing and also pay their Employees well with benefits. At the Costco I frequent , there is a fellow who I got to know and he has been there 11 years. He used to work in a factory with union and it moved elsewhere. He told me that Costco has provided him with a comparable wage and benefits.
So my question is, Why is Walmart so different in their wages and benefits? Their prices aren't that much different than Sam's Club.

Donnie Raines
11-18-2004, 8:24 AM
Here in Milford, there has been a big debate over this very topic for the last 6 months or so. The biggest complaint was small buisness...and their security. In Historic Milford(referred to as Old Milford) there is a Main Street with lots of antique stores and mom and pop type stores. The only buisness located there that has had any longevity is the antique stores...and they wouldnot be affected by a Wal-Mart moeving in. The mom and pop stores would be and lets be honest...who shops there on a regualr basis?...not many around here. The turn over is very quick. The price is high and they often would not have what I needed any how. Sure the service was more personable, but at a certian point one needs to step back and acknowledge their own check book and what yeilds more for them. In all fairness, my family does not shop full time at Wal-Mart...but we do shop Sams Club on a regualr basis...and they are connected with Wal-MArt. Lets face it, it is a cut throat world...you need to be on the right side of the tide. The majority of people want the best they can get at the best price...and they are often willing to sacrifce a few things(service at times) for that savings.....if this was not the case the Box stores would not be so dominate. The old saying "we want our cake and eat it to" comes to mind here.

Donnie Raines
11-18-2004, 8:27 AM
There has been two contrasting stories in this thread. Steve Clardy has family members earning a lliving wage (I assume) and then John Weber who worked for Phillips and personally knows the people.

What Walmart is doing is what capitalism is all about. However, they are pushing it to the limits and it is affecting Americans in both good and bad.

I personally do not like Walmart and do not shop there. I shop at Target. Is Target any better? I prefer Costco over any store. They are very good in pricing and also pay their Employees well with benefits. At the Costco I frequent , there is a fellow who I got to know and he has been there 11 years. He used to work in a factory with union and it moved elsewhere. He told me that Costco has provided him with a comparable wage and benefits.
So my question is, Why is Walmart so different in their wages and benefits? Their prices aren't that much different than Sam's Club.
Target is the second largest comapny in the states......there are reasons we dont shop there but I wont state those here... :rolleyes:

Dan Gill
11-18-2004, 8:53 AM
This poll needs another option:

"My opinion changes nothing in a free market. Only my dollars have any effect."

Terry Hatfield
11-18-2004, 9:00 AM
Here's my take from the land of Wal-Mart............

Sam Walton started with a 5 and 10 store in little 'ole Bentonville, AR and built it into what it is today. It is the American way. It is the American dream. Sam is gone but his ghost still walks the halls in Bentonville. Everywhere there are his quotes, his pictures and his ideals posted for all to see and for all to follow. Wal-Mart IS the American dream. Start from nothing and see how far you can take it.

Cheryl works for Wal-Mart in the engineering division. Real estate actually, but it's under the engineering umbrella. She loves it!! She might even be the one responsible for that new WM in your town that you didn't want. ;) WM has done much to help our family. Before WM we were paying $600 a month for health insurance through NASE. Now we pay $140 per month for insurance with a significantly lower deductible and significantly more coverage. WM matches every share of stock we buy. I know that will make our lives easier as we head toward and into retirement. Before WM we had no retirement plan at all except to work until we were dead.

WM employs 1.5 million people world wide. A large percentage of those people had no health coverage at all before WM. Every WM employee has access to insurance after they have been ther for 90 days. 401K's and the stock purchase plan have made many a regular old WM employee rich or at least helped fund retirement that would not have been possible without WM.

Vendors are moving in here daily. The build multi-million dollar buildings and employ hundreds of people just to cater to WM. We are so over run with them we have grid lock here every day. Unemployment is 1% here and has been 1% here for a very long time. We can't build road fast enough to keep up and never will. WM and it's vendors power nearly everything around here. I find it hard to believe that the would be doing all this if they were not making anything on what they sell to WM. I realize fully that WM can be tough to deal with for vendors. WM demands that vendors streamline and reduce cost. Moving jobs to China and elsewhere is not always the route the vendors must take. I hate the idea of American jobs going to other countries but WM can not be to blame for ALL of this.

Is WM good for America? I say yes it is. It is good for the economy as they single handedly hold down inflation to a certain extent. Every time a new WM store or distribution center opens anywhere in the country there are 10 to 20 times as many folks applying for jobs are there are positions to fill. Many are there solely for the benefits. That's why Cheryl is there. She left a good paying job with little benefits to work at WM. She changed jobs just for WM's benefits. She makes a very good wage but if you include what we save on health care, health insurance, dental bills , percriptions etc.. it is amazing how much money she actually gets from WM. We get 10% off what we buy at WM also and that don't hurt either.

I understand that we in NW Arkansas may have a different take on WM in general but the bottom line is that I do not believe that WM is the great evil that many of these programs make them out to be. What I see here from WM is alot different than what these programs portray. Has WM done some things I wouldn't be proud of? I'm sure hey have but overall I still believe that WM is good for us as a family and good for their employees and the country as a whole.

Terry

Kevin Arceneaux
11-18-2004, 9:52 AM
As I said before I do not shop at WM anymore. I used to, probably 150+ a week between groceries and other things. But it got very fustrating. I would be going to check out with a full cart, including frozen goods, and there would be huge lines at the checkout. But there were 20 checkouts not being used and when I asked the frontend manager if they could open some more because I had frozen stuff I didn't want to thaw, I was told, no, that they had the right number open. When I pointed to the sign that said if there were more than three people in a line they would open more registers, she proceeded to tell me that they signs were to be removed, that that was not the policy anymore. That I would have to wait in line. And there are SLOWWWWWW. So I took the cart from my wife and gave it to the manager and told her there were frozen good there and she should get it put up before they thawed. She went a little nuts and started in on me. Wrong move on her part. Haven't spent a nickle in there since then.

I go to Target. If there is a line, they ALWAYS open more. I shop for groceries at the closer Winn Dixie or Albertson's. Yes, I spend a little more. But I have NEVER been treated like that in any of their stores. I am one of those old fashioned type folks, customer service means a bit more than price. I never feel that they are doing me a favor by letting me shop there, but that I am doing them a favor by shopping there. BTW, I use my local slaughter house for my meat.

Much is made of the trade deficit with China. It is a problem, but sooner or later China will be forced to float their currency againt the dollar instead of having it pinned to it. Then we shall see.

How many times have you seen a piece by Frontline, 60 minutes, or most of the other "news" type shows that were not hatchet jobs or slanted in one way or another? An unbiased one is few and far between.

Chris Padilla
11-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Funny thing, I don't have a WM close to me so I don't shop there. I know where it is and I have been there but as a regular place to shop, nope. We use Safeway and Costco for most purchase and Target is second. Well, lately, Orchards Supply Hardware (local hardware store) has been my main place to shop (think garage remodel) along with Home Depot.

If WM was closer to me (say in the location of Safeway, Costco, Orchards, or HD), I'm sure I'd probably be in there a lot more. It comes down to convenience and lazyness to a certain extent. Still, I don't think WM is bad for America...it is the American way as Terry put it.

Christopher Pine
11-18-2004, 11:39 AM
I did not see the show... I tend to lean towards it was slanted towards the negative view of walmart...(I will watch it online when available!)I have seen similiar things before.. Several years ago they had a show lambasting wal-mart becuse they did not renew a contract for a sweater company in the states because they could buy the sweaters cheaper elswhere. ( they did not say where, probably overseas)
They were lambasting walmart becuase as someone else mentioned they had the made in the USA promotion going. PETTY!!!! The point was very silly to me! Walmart is a businesss in a capitalistic system not a socilistic system! They owed the sweater company nothing! They did not renew there contract was all.. They fullfilled the previous one. The sweater company closed by the way. Capitalism in is most basic is survival of the fitest...like it or not!
I am surprised so many do not shop there on the poll. I do shop there and have no problem whatsoever doing so! We are in a glodal economy like it or not ! We need to find a way to embrace it and make it work for all of us or we willindeed be in trouble!
Now to customer service I have no argument if a store does not give what you think is good service then I don't blame someone for going elswhere! That is part of the free enterprise system. Your dollars speak louder than your words! Why is walmart so successful? Becuase they are the tyrants of capitalism? NO becuase milloins of Americans speak with there dollars... While some may say they just want the chaepest price and thats all. WEll thats not what I am seeing on this forum! I Believe if Wal-mart loses profit share they will adjust there policies to what the masses want!
I am not the all defender of Wal-Mart however I have seen simplistic bashing of this and other companies like them for there success and it really is silly most times. I am sure they have problems and I would acknowlege those individually... Is Wal Mart good for America???? Absolutely! They provide a needed service, jobs, charitable giving and much more I am sure.. Are they perfect? NO!
I have ranted enough!
Chris

Dennis Peacock
11-18-2004, 1:58 PM
Good thread here so far. Let's just keep it all in perspective. Ok?

My wife supports WalMart due to the cost savings on our limited budget. We have to try and save everywhere we can. However, I / we still try to support our local mom-n-pop shops as best we can because other big stores don't have the quality of stuff we look for.

But complaining about WalMart is like complaining about Microsoft, BellSouth, Western Bell, Cingular, IBM, Target, Home Depot, Sears and others like the large chain stores. This is still a free country and we all make choices with our "money". ;)

Rich Konopka
11-18-2004, 3:55 PM
Good thread here so far. Let's just keep it all in perspective. Ok?

My wife supports WalMart due to the cost savings on our limited budget. We have to try and save everywhere we can. However, I / we still try to support our local mom-n-pop shops as best we can because other big stores don't have the quality of stuff we look for.

But complaining about WalMart is like complaining about Microsoft, BellSouth, Western Bell, Cingular, IBM, Target, Home Depot, Sears and others like the large chain stores. This is still a free country and we all make choices with our "money". ;)
I agree Dennis. I think this forum brings a good mix of views and opinions. It may be so typical that we only hear the negatives. However, when you hear how Walmart has helped Terry H's family with thier healthcare costs and a decent retirement it make you wonder. Why are there so many negative stories about Walmart wages and benefits? Is it because they are the big enchilada and evryone is gunning for them?

Donnie Raines
11-18-2004, 4:24 PM
I agree Dennis. I think this forum brings a good mix of views and opinions. It may be so typical that we only hear the negatives. However, when you hear how Walmart has helped Terry H's family with thier healthcare costs and a decent retirement it make you wonder. Why are there so many negative stories about Walmart wages and benefits? Is it because they are the big enchilada and evryone is gunning for them?
Sadly, that is the way the world(and media...) seem to be these days. We(the people) really disapprove of the negative things we see all the time....most of us anyhow. Almost anything can be compared here. Why cant the news report about the good things??...instead of all the car accidents, people who got scammed or whatever. And this is no different.

There are two sides to every thing. Those who accept one view report on that view....and visa versa.....we see it all the time. I wish we could be more optimistic about things....things being used broadly here. There are so many postive things going on in our lives it is a shame to concentrate on the negatives. Maybe one of these days the media will come around and report from that direction and throw in the downside to....that we can accept. A true fair and balance means to report by.

Frank Pellow
11-19-2004, 7:17 AM
Nothing that big is good.

Terry Hatfield
11-19-2004, 8:42 AM
Why are there so many negative stories about Walmart wages and benefits? Is it because they are the big enchilada and evryone is gunning for them?

Rich,

I guess companies this big just scare folks for some reason. Probably part of the trouble is all the negative media coverage. Nothing is ever said about WM's donations to charity, good works in the individual communities that they are in or the kind of stuff that I posted earlier. I sure would like to see a piece done by the media that would cover some of this......

The HUGE amount of taxes in general and sales tax revenue that WM generates/pays every where there is a store.

90% of WM employees DO have health coverage.

Over 75% of WM employees nationwide are full time.

WM just announced that even though health care coverage costs are increasing for 2005, WM will absorb the cost instead of raising what the employees have to pay and they are adding additional coverage for immunizations etc... at no extra cast to the employees.

Over 9000 hourly employess were promoted to management positions in 2003 alone.

WM will donate more than 153 million dollars to charity in 2004.

Just a little food for thought.

t

Rich Konopka
11-19-2004, 4:45 PM
Rich,

I guess companies this big just scare folks for some reason. Probably part of the trouble is all the negative media coverage. Nothing is ever said about WM's donations to charity, good works in the individual communities that they are in or the kind of stuff that I posted earlier. I sure would like to see a piece done by the media that would cover some of this......

The HUGE amount of taxes in general and sales tax revenue that WM generates/pays every where there is a store.

90% of WM employees DO have health coverage.

Over 75% of WM employees nationwide are full time.

WM just announced that even though health care coverage costs are increasing for 2005, WM will absorb the cost instead of raising what the employees have to pay and they are adding additional coverage for immunizations etc... at no extra cast to the employees.

Over 9000 hourly employess were promoted to management positions in 2003 alone.

WM will donate more than 153 million dollars to charity in 2004.

Just a little food for thought.

t
Terry, I find your facts interesting because they are contrary to everything I have read about Walmart. I am glad to hear that your healthcare did not go up. I wish I could say that.

Cheers,

Terry Hatfield
11-19-2004, 10:25 PM
Rich,

There's alot about WM that the media doesn't bother to say. I just try to point out a few items that might shed a little more light on the subject.

t

Ed Falis
11-20-2004, 10:40 AM
This poll needs another option:

"My opinion changes nothing in a free market. Only my dollars have any effect."

When there are no longer mom & pop places to send your dollars to because folks often don't realize what they're doing putting them out of business, that idealist "free market" philosophy no longer means anything. Because there will be only a few biggies to toss your dollars at. The big corps all seem to strive for monopolies or dominance by just a few players in an agreed-upon business ecology.

- Ed

Chris Damm
11-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Walmart is only good for Walmart and China!

Howard Norman
11-20-2004, 2:56 PM
When I can buy an item at WalMart for a lower price than at xyz store than WalMart is good for me.

The media seems to be against all large corporations. The larger the corporation, the more media attacks.

Howard

Rich Konopka
11-20-2004, 4:58 PM
The media seems to be against all large corporations. The larger the corporation, the more media attacks.

Yeah Howard you are absolutely correct it is the media. The companies never admit to any wrongdoing.:rolleyes:

Christopher Pine
11-20-2004, 6:47 PM
Nothing that big is good.

Yeah like countries like Canada! Doh! :) :) :)

Brad Olson
11-20-2004, 7:19 PM
Around here we have both Walmart and Meijer (smaller town of about 10k or so). Meijer employees are union and make good salaries, Walmart employees makes about 50-75% of Walmart employees. Meijer gives a lot to our local community be it grants or employee community service. Walmart does next to nothing other than the occasional $50 ad buy in the school paper. Meijer prices are usually as good as Walmart or just a few cents higher. So at the end of the day I shop at Meijer. When Meijer gives a couple of thousand bucks to the library or school or whatever, I reward them with my business. Meijer also tries to buy fruits and produce from Michigan farmers and they try as hard as they can to sell made in the USA (not always possible, but they do try).

Chuck Wintle
11-20-2004, 7:31 PM
Around here we have both Walmart and Meijer (smaller town of about 10k or so). Meijer employees are union and make good salaries, Walmart employees makes about 50-75% of Walmart employees. Meijer gives a lot to our local community be it grants or employee community service. Walmart does next to nothing other than the occasional $50 ad buy in the school paper. Meijer prices are usually as good as Walmart or just a few cents higher. So at the end of the day I shop at Meijer. When Meijer gives a couple of thousand bucks to the library or school or whatever, I reward them with my business. Meijer also tries to buy fruits and produce from Michigan farmers and they try as hard as they can to sell made in the USA (not always possible, but they do try).
Thats more than can be said of Walmart. After they have sent all jobs to China then waht for American workers? The soup line? I know its all about capitalism and how good that is how much can out of work people really afford?

Matt Meiser
11-20-2004, 8:24 PM
[QUOTE=Brad Olson]Around here we have both Walmart and Meijer (smaller town of about 10k or so). QUOTE]

We are usually Meijer shoppers too. For us, it comes down to quality.

Kroger is the other major grocery store in this area. Lately every time we've been in Kroger, we have not been able to buy milk or yogourt (much to my 2yo daughter's dismay) becauase it has been expired or within 2 days of expiring. I also don't like their pricing policies. The things on sale are a great deal, but then other stuff is outrageous. In the end I don't think its any cheaper.

The closest Wal-Mart Supercenter is 40 minutes away, but I've never liked shopping there when I lived in other places that had them--more based on the organization of the store than anything else. I'm also under the impression based on my experiences that Wal-Mart lets their stores deteriorate rather than keep up basic cleaning of the store after they've been open a while.

Too bad Meijer stores aren't everywhere. Of course then this thread might be "Is Meijer Good for America?"