PDA

View Full Version : Dust Elimenator and SP?

Bruce Walton
04-02-2003, 1:58 PM
Want to make sure that I'm not missing something here. The information on Bill Pentz's site and Terry Hatfield's site is great, but I think my brain is about to pop due to information overload.

It looks like the cyclone is now using a 4X10 duct to 6" round. Since the 4x10 is 40 sq. inches, could the round conversion be to 7" instead? My goal is to lower the SP for some longer duct runs. However, I'm uncertain whether the FPM will stay high enough to move material. I'm thinking of probably just using the 7" in the main and transfer to 6" or lower for the vertical drops.

Will changing to 7" cause any problems with the cyclone's operation?

Will changing to 7" cause problems with material flow if used as main and/or laterals when it gets restricted to 4" or lower at the machine?

Judging by the comments here and other sites, it appears your message is getting out extremely well. Thanks for your help.

Dennis Peacock
04-02-2003, 2:11 PM
Bruce,

With a Jet 14" impeller and a "real" 3hp motor or a Leeson 5hp compressor duty motor.....this provides you with 7,900FPM and is more than enough....in the test configuration like shown on Terry's web site and Pentz's site. All you need is about 4,000 FPM to keep the stuff in the duct suspended. The DE design is so effecient....you should NOT have any trouble with a 7" trunk.

Terry Hatfield
04-03-2003, 12:59 AM
Bruce,

As Dennis said there would be no problem at all with a 7" main.

We use the 6" because it is readily available and cheap. The 7900 fpm made me go WOW when I first saw it on the gauge!! I conducted 3 seperate test to make sure of that number. I had no idea that the Jet impeller in Bill's blower design were going to be this good. I was totally pleased.

Honestly I have all 6" myself and I feel that it will be absoulutely fine for all applications. it will support the necessary 800 cfm at the machines and that is really the bottom line. You reazlly need to change your machine hookups to 6" where you can and not to drop below 4" if you can help it. The only thing I have less than 4" is my router table fence. I run an extra gate near the table open to make sure I have enough flow. I will be changing the fence to 4" as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Terry