PDA

View Full Version : easy way to get settigns and apps on new computer?

Steve knight
04-30-2010, 4:16 PM
I have two win 7 machines and need to get the info and settings off the old one. but I only have one monitor. can I do it without the monitor on the old computer when them on the same network?
the old computer is backed up. but doing a restore may not be the best bet as I will bring over junk and files that don't belong.

Lee Ludden
04-30-2010, 5:19 PM
You can use a USB file transfer cable and software to easily connect 2 machines and transfer files from one to the other. If you are not familiar with networking, this is the way to go. You can get these or something similar at Staples or Best Buy. http://www.belkin.com/iwcatproductpage.process?product_id=275561#

Steve knight
04-30-2010, 6:37 PM
I am not after transferring files. that's easy with an external drive. but I want to transfer the apps and their settings so I don't have to start from scratch.

paul cottingham
04-30-2010, 6:50 PM
There are commercial apps available for this like backrex that will move settings.They may still have a free version available. it is excellent.

Lee Ludden
04-30-2010, 6:53 PM
To be honest, I have never had any long term good luck with doing an application transfer. There is a transfer utility in windows 7 that will transfer most settings, but I am pretty sure it will not transfer the application files. Laplink (http://www.laplink.com/pcmover)has software that will supposedly do this, but while I have had good success with other Laplink products, I have not tried this one.

For single computer upgrades, I almost always just bite the bullet and do a total reinstall of all apps when moving to a new computer.

Steve knight
04-30-2010, 6:56 PM
Yes I just found it. that may be ok and just install the apps.
I still stumble getting win7 setup like I like it. I am a pro with xp.

Steve knight
04-30-2010, 7:05 PM
Also I am so busy I can't have this computer down very long.
one disadvantage using a hdmi cable is you need to reboot when you plug in a new monitor. so you can't change back and forth.

Rich Engelhardt
04-30-2010, 8:21 PM
Enable remote desktop on the PC that doesn't have a monitor.
Or.
Download and install VNC.

Either/or will allow you to remote to the machine w/out a monitor.

paul cottingham
04-30-2010, 8:50 PM
the issue isn't data, it's settings. backrex will move the settings.

Bryan Morgan
05-01-2010, 12:28 AM
Windows 7 has this built in. All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Windows Easy Transfer. You can use it a few different ways.... with a special cable (good luck finding one that actually works... we went though a handful that said they work before finding one that really does work), through the network, or to an external hard drive. Seems to work well.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/videos/transferring-files-and-settings-from-another-pc

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/features/easy-transfer.aspx

In your case the external drive way seems to be the best solution. Boot up the old computer, transfer your stuff to the drive. Shut it off and power on the new computer and import the stuff from the same external drive. Just run the application and follow the prompts, its very easy.

Steve knight
05-01-2010, 12:42 AM
it's easy till it locks up. first time win 7 fully locked up. it got stuck on the transfer and sat there for a hour. then other things locked up and nothing worked. well redid it and got it done but now I have to wait till tomorrow to get the new computer going.

Mitchell Andrus
05-01-2010, 7:16 AM
+1 for Laplink. The program walks you through it. Try to borrow a 2nd monitor just to keep stuff straight in your head. Only one app didn't make it properly last time I did this, a PDF utility, easily downloaded again.

Mitchell Andrus
05-01-2010, 7:18 AM
Windows 7 has this built in.

Wow. Whatdayaknow. You can teach an old Bill new tricks.

David DeCristoforo
05-01-2010, 5:08 PM
Ya'll shoulda bought a Mac. Piece of cake on a Mac. What? You don't like the price. Oh... well that's another matter....

Steve knight
05-01-2010, 6:19 PM
well the windows program worked ok. it was a bit hit and miss. it worked great with firefox but not for thunderbird. got most of the info for my regular programs. but gadgets it did not do anything for them. but it was easier then starting from scratch.
It did not do fonts either.

Steve knight
05-01-2010, 7:17 PM
Ya'll shoulda bought a Mac. Piece of cake on a Mac. What? You don't like the price. Oh... well that's another matter....

well I have not had to restore my mac mini yet so we will see how it goes it will need it soon. but time machine would not work with the windows part anyway.
but it would be pointless since all the software I sue at work is windows based. parallels is too slow and using bootcamp would be no better then using a pc.

Bryan Morgan
05-02-2010, 6:21 PM

We've had no luck with the Mac profile transfer program in 10.5.8.... Always messes up the permissions of stuff...

Jim Terrill
05-02-2010, 6:29 PM
well I have not had to restore my mac mini yet so we will see how it goes it will need it soon. but time machine would not work with the windows part anyway.
but it would be pointless since all the software I sue at work is windows based. parallels is too slow and using bootcamp would be no better then using a pc.

Which version? They have made some pretty big jumps in speed. I started with parallels 2 and am on 5 now. Huge difference and I only have 1gb of RAM dedicated to my VM. In fact I run faster on 5 than my mother does on 4 with 2GB of VM RAM.

Curt Harms
05-03-2010, 10:25 AM

Piece a cake on Linux too. Price? uhh, pretty good ;) I wouldn't be surprised if OSX and Linux are similar in that they both have *nix roots though Apple's user interface seems WAY more refined and hardware manufacturers like Apple better than Linux for good reason. The registry is one of Windows more endearing features :rolleyes:.

Steve knight
05-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Which version? They have made some pretty big jumps in speed. I started with parallels 2 and am on 5 now. Huge difference and I only have 1gb of RAM dedicated to my VM. In fact I run faster on 5 than my mother does on 4 with 2GB of VM RAM.
I have a 2009 mini I have 4 gigs of ram. win 7 was not bad but it was not as good as win 7 as standalone.
Plus the actions in my two win aps I use all day are not as good when running from the mac. I don't find file handing as nice on the mac. you can't just hit the delete key for one simple one.
but since all I run are my two drawing apps and thunderbird and firefox it would be pointless. I would to spend 700 on another mac mini where I can get as fast or faster pc for 400.00 then add 200.00 for win 7 and paralells

Bryan Morgan
05-03-2010, 10:53 PM
...though Apple's user interface seems WAY more refined and hardware manufacturers like Apple better than Linux for good reason.

The GUI for Linux is as nice as you want to make it... you aren't stuck with anything. A lot of OSX's "features" have been in Gnome or KDE for forever...;) Funny you mention that though because last week I was setting up a Mac Pro and was thinking how old the interface felt... I literally had flashbacks of our old SGI IRIX machines... :p

Phil Thien
05-04-2010, 8:48 AM

I've had a few Macs crash and burn during migrations. I'd say it doesn't work correctly about 20% of the time. Often all I have to do is reload the target's OS, and start over, and it goes. Strange.