PDA

View Full Version : Corel Draw

Neil Pabia
04-30-2010, 4:04 PM
I hope I'm not violating any rules by posting this, but I just got a great deal on the academic version of Corel Draw X5 full edition not upgrade for just under $100 from a place called softwaremedia.com. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, I just have been looking around and found a good deal on it and wanted to share.

Dan Hintz
04-30-2010, 4:24 PM
I just got a great deal on the academic version of Corel Draw X5 full edition not upgrade for just under $100...
Posts like this come up every few months. Search on back posts and you'll see the usual reminders (often from me) that academic versions are meant to be purchased by students and educators only, as well as not being legal to use in a business environment.

Just a friendly reminder...

Lee DeRaud
04-30-2010, 4:32 PM
Didn't we also discover that the student version was missing some features? VBA and maybe some import/export filters?

Gary Hair
04-30-2010, 6:04 PM
Didn't we also discover that the student version was missing some features? VBA and maybe some import/export filters?

I think that was just a rumour. I had a copy of X3 that was academic and it was fully functional - can't say about X4 or X5, I have full, legit, legal, expensive, copies of them...

Gary

John Noell
04-30-2010, 8:41 PM
I think that was just a rumour. I had a copy of X3 that was academic and it was fully functional... I saw a "cheap" copy of X3 that did not have VBA. My (more expensive) X4 has it and it can be useful.

Neil Pabia
04-30-2010, 9:01 PM
I happen to fall into the academic catagory so I guess it is an okay version to use for learning this program. If I do start to use it for any business type I will upgrade to a full regular version or just buy a full liscense. Thanks for the input on this. I think I will spend a few weeks reading more of the old threads, I've only covered about 7 or 8 pages so far.

Chuck Stone
05-01-2010, 7:34 AM
I'd say you fall under the guidelines for the educational version, but when
you get your Epilog will that come with Corel, too? I never bought a new
unit, so I don't know if it comes with it or if they just recommend it.

Steve Kelsey
05-01-2010, 8:13 AM
Corel does not come with an Epilog system. It may be an add-on you could purchase from your dealer however. Each dealer is different.

Martin Boekers
05-01-2010, 10:20 AM
I am looking to upgrade from 11, it has been through many upgrades since 3:p
my question is I recently saw that X5 is only upgradeable from X4.

Does anyone know if thats true and if so why?

Could this be a start of software only being upgradable from the preseeding version?

Marty

Dan Hintz
05-01-2010, 8:30 PM
I think that was just a rumour. I had a copy of X3 that was academic and it was fully functional - can't say about X4 or X5, I have full, legit, legal, expensive, copies of them...

Gary
Not a rumor, and confirmed by Tony, if I recall. The academic versions are missing VBA, so plug-ins and such that require VB macros will not work.

Neil Pabia
05-01-2010, 9:02 PM
I'd say you fall under the guidelines for the educational version, but when
you get your Epilog will that come with Corel, too? I never bought a new
unit, so I don't know if it comes with it or if they just recommend it.
I haven't discussed the software with the salesman yet, I'm still trying to decide between the Mini24, the Helix, and the Legend36. My fear isn't buying too big of a machine, it is buying a new machine and then finding that it is just a hair to small for what ever I decide to do. I am leaning towards buying the biggest machine with the most power and that way I have what I need and won't sit there thinking I underbought. When I order the laser I will buy a new dedicated computer to go along with it and will load it up with as much software as I find I need. For now I will be working with one of the graphics instructors at the school to figure this all out, then your going to be seeing more of me than you would ever want to, but it will make my wife happy to have me away. Beer and pizza is on me.:)

Is there any other software that I should start considering before hand so I can get a grasp on it before I start trying to apply it to the laser? I am open to all suggestions.

Gary Hair
05-01-2010, 9:19 PM
Copied right from the Corel website - it doesn't mention anything about a version, just the title.

To purchase the upgrade version, you must own a previous licensed version of:

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite
CorelDRAW (standalone)
CorelDRAW Classic
CorelDRAW Select
CorelDRAW Graphics Suite – Special Edition
Corel® PHOTO-PAINT™ (standalone)
Corel DESIGNER®
Corel® Painter™
Micrografx Designer®
Micrografx Graphics Suite®
Micrografx® Picture Publisher® or Corel® Picture Publisher®
Note: Upgrade eligibility excludes academic, OEM and Not For Resale (NFR) versions. Corel products not listed above are not eligible for the upgrade version.

I am looking to upgrade from 11, it has been through many upgrades since 3:p
my question is I recently saw that X5 is only upgradeable from X4.

Does anyone know if thats true and if so why?

Could this be a start of software only being upgradable from the preseeding version?

Marty

Martin Boekers
05-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Copied right from the Corel website - it doesn't mention anything about a version, just the title.

To purchase the upgrade version, you must own a previous licensed version of:

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite
CorelDRAW (standalone)
CorelDRAW Classic
CorelDRAW Select
CorelDRAW Graphics Suite – Special Edition
Corel® PHOTO-PAINT™ (standalone)
Corel DESIGNER®
Corel® Painter™
Micrografx Designer®
Micrografx Graphics Suite®
Micrografx® Picture Publisher® or Corel® Picture Publisher®
Note: Upgrade eligibility excludes academic, OEM and Not For Resale (NFR) versions. Corel products not listed above are not eligible for the upgrade version.

Opps not Corel site, but Conde.

Order Online
CorelDRAW X5 Upgrade

CDGSX5ENPCUG
CorelDraw® Graphics Suite Version X5 Upgrade. You must have a valid X4 license to purchase this upgrade.

Pricing Info:
$ 204.10 each - 1 and up

I just ordered the Ricoh printer and thought about throwing in the upgrade, but that stopped me as I'm just running 11 at work.

Marty

Adam Beverly
05-04-2010, 9:47 AM
When I bought a new Epilog Zing, it came with copy of Corel Draw X3 :)

Chuck Stone
05-04-2010, 6:52 PM
For now I will be working with one of the graphics instructors at the school to figure this all out, then your going to be seeing more of me than you would ever want to, but it will make my wife happy to have me away. Beer and pizza is on me.:)

WOOHOO!!! Paid training in reverse!
Be nice to me or I'll cook.

Is there any other software that I should start considering before hand so I can get a grasp on it before I start trying to apply it to the laser? I am open to all suggestions.

I know everyone who has a laser seems to use Corel, but you've seen
what I'm doing with mine and it's 100% Photoshop so far. If I got into
things that required vector I'd probably spend more time learning Corel
but I haven't really worked with it much since Version 2 and 3.
(version 3 was the largest program I'd ever bought .. came on 9 floppy
disks! Photoshop was only 2 floppys .. 3 if you included the Type Manager)

But if you're going to spend good money, might as well do it right, since
you're already pretty familiar with the raster program you're using now ..
and a lot of what you'll do through IAP will be raster based. I'd get a copy
of Photoshop for that, just to make that part of the transition easier.

You might get yourself a graphics tablet, too. Makes life a lot easier when
using graphics programs. Get a GOOD chair with a lumbar support. When I
was in Manhattan, calling on fashion photographers, they put tons of
money into good chairs, good sound systems, huge Wacom tablets and
good monitors. (including big $ for color management software/hardware)
This was just to keep their retouchers happy.
You won't need the color management stuff, but you'll be spending some
time at the computer, so spend whatever you can to eliminate any fatigue
before you get started. It just makes the rest go smoother.