PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw Modification

Johnnyy Johnson
04-30-2010, 3:06 PM
A few weeks back I was having a hard time dialing in my BS. After I worked through the problems, I made one last resaw. I noticed that the board got hard to push and that the sawdust was coming out of the board rather than down the vac hose. I concluded that the kerf got full because the kerf closed up. I remember someone making a comment in a post that they kept a wedge handy for when this happened. I have a 14" Jet BS and got to thinking why could I not make some type of riving knife for specific cuts. There is a perfect place to attach something just above the top bearings (carter). It would have to be home made and most likely not work on all types of cuts. Has anyone saw or played around with this idea? For lack of a better description I see it like a plow point behind a tractor. A thin pc of metal.

Thanks
JJ

Brendan Plavis
04-30-2010, 3:14 PM
Riving knives are more to prevent binding/kickback than they are to prevent sawdust build up. The best bet, is to get a lower TPI blade, and or take the cuts slower/back out when it goes bogged down. I run a 14TPI blade, which produces finish quality cuts, and I find, if it bogs, then wait a moment, and its all set.

Jeff Willard
04-30-2010, 10:33 PM
If I feel that a kerf may close up, I keep a small screwdriver handy to jam into the kerf.

Phil Thien
05-01-2010, 8:37 AM
I don't think I'd want to push on the tube that holds the guides with that much force. Better to use a wedge. And the other advice to check your place is good, too (although I have cut wood that really bound up on the blade, it does happen).