PDA

View Full Version : Help with candlestick finish please.

Jenn Hill
04-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the board. Thanks for all of the great information. I am working on a trio of candlesticks of different heights and would like your recommendations on how to finish them. I am making them for my Mom for Mother's day. They will be cherry and maple. I (hopefully) have attached a picture of the first one. What do you think? Your recommendations are much appreciated.
These are my first larger pieces. I do a lot of hair sticks and have done some pens.
Thanks
Jenn

Mike Willeson
04-30-2010, 1:52 PM
Neat design Jenn. I like the contrasting color strip down the middle.

I am a new to turning and have only done a few pieces and used wipe on poly. This may not be best, so let the experienced folks here chime in. They will no doubt have good ideas for you.

Be sure you post pictures of the trio when they are complete.

John Hart
04-30-2010, 2:02 PM
Hi Jenn...Welcome to the abyss. :)

I like the simplicity and elegance of the form...and also the overall style of the piece. If it were me, I'd stick to something satin and allow the glass to be the contrasting gloss.
I'm a big fan of lacquer....so I'd be tempted to spray it in clear satin and buff it lightly.

Steve Schlumpf
04-30-2010, 2:19 PM
Jenn - Welcome to the Creek!

Nice looking candle holder! I agree with John - I would want a finish that highlights the wood without adding a lot of gloss. A soft oil based finish would look pretty good and would darken the wood slightly. Something like Antique Oil or Watco Natural Danish Oil. John's idea of a lacquer or even a wipe on polyurethane would work as well.

Looking forward to seeing the finished holders!

Also, just in case you weren't sure how to post photos here - check this out: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25115

David E Keller
04-30-2010, 2:22 PM
Lots of ways to go with those. I tend to use an oil finish because I like the warmth it provides. I'd consider a coat of boiled linseed oil then lacquer after the oil dries.

Mark Burge
04-30-2010, 4:21 PM
+1 for oil finish if you are just beginning. It is easy to apply without the problem of runs or drips. It highlights the grain of the wood and you can add a poly or lacquer over the top of if if you want more shine. I like tung oil and walnut oil.

Bernie Weishapl
04-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Welcome to SMC Jenn. I would either use Antique Oil or Satin Lacquer.

James Combs
04-30-2010, 10:23 PM
I agree with any of the oil treatments but am partial the the Watco Natural Danish Oil Jim suggested. It does a great job of enhancing the grain. It also does a good job of sealing the wood for later application of other finishes if desired but I prefer it by its self.

Oh and by the way Welcome to the forum.

GLENN THOMAS
05-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Another vote for oil. I recently started using the Watco Danish oil and I love it. Its easy to apply, and easy to repair if the the piece ever gets damaged. There are several shades of the Watco Danish and the natural really makes the grain pop without darkening the wood too much. I would also suggest you try it on a similar piece of scrap wood to make sure you like it first.

GT

Jenn Hill
05-01-2010, 6:40 PM
Thank you for all of your recommendations.. I decided on the Watco Danish Oil in the natural color. So far they look great. I will post picture when the are all buffed out.

Thanks again!!
Jenn