PDA

View Full Version : No Scrap will go unturned

Bill Bulloch
04-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Here is that bowl I made out of 23 different kind of wood scraps. It is 11 inches in diameter and 7 3/4 inches high. It has 11 rings and 133 pieces. The segments were cut to size from small pieces of scrap wood and glued together in a random pattern -- no plan at all (as you can tell). Hence, my new moto: "No Scrap will go unturned".

The pictures are all of the same bowl, just rotated so you can see all sides.

What ya think of this mess???

Bernie Weishapl
04-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Bill those are some good looking scraps in a beautiful bowl. Really well done.

bob svoboda
04-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Bill, I think that's one of the purdiest "messes" I've ever seen. I like the shape and the finish, and the joinery makes me very, very jealous. Nicely done!

John Hart
04-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Love it!!!! A thing of beauty.:)

Ya know...I don't do segmentation, because frankly, I just don't possess the discipline.
But a while back, I thought about doing my shop floor in scraps. It would take years. From the looks of your fine piece....it would be pretty cool! :)

Steve Schlumpf
04-30-2010, 2:24 PM
Looks great! I don't think you could have designed a better bowl! Very nice work!

David E Keller
04-30-2010, 2:27 PM
I love it. I think I prefer this random collection of woods to the intricate geometric patterns seen on many segmented pieces. I like this so much that if I ever try segmenting, this is what I'll try to do.

John Keeton
04-30-2010, 3:30 PM
I'm kind of like David. The warm comfort of the blend of colors, grains and textures just feels right with this one. More touchable than some of the other segmented pieces. Of course, the segmentation doesn't interest me - yet!

Bill, what finish do you use? Very nice. I bet when this bowl ages, it will look even better.

Bill Bulloch
04-30-2010, 4:13 PM
I'm kind of like David. The warm comfort of the blend of colors, grains and textures just feels right with this one. More touchable than some of the other segmented pieces. Of course, the segmentation doesn't interest me - yet!

Bill, what finish do you use? Very nice. I bet when this bowl ages, it will look even better.

This one has 9 coats of Wipe-on High Gloss Poly topped with one coat is Wipe-on Satin.

I was like you for the first year of turning, segmenting didn't interest me either. But, then after a year of turning, five months ago I took the plunge into Segmenting and -- I got sucked right in. Since then, other that four or five green bowls and a few ornamental bird houses to replace the ones that sold at the Art Center Gift Shop, segmenting is all I have been doing.

And you know, Richard was wrong the other day when he said that, "I had too much time on my hands", for I really don't have time to do anything because of all this turning I am doing. It's habit forming, I'll make a ring and if I don't like the way it looks, I throw it out and do it over. Hence, so many scraps.

Mark Burge
04-30-2010, 4:23 PM
Reminds me of a patchwork quilt. Nice work.

Cathy Schaewe
04-30-2010, 4:25 PM
That is really neat!

Sid Matheny
04-30-2010, 5:02 PM
Best looking bunch of scraps I have ever seen Bill. I love it!!!

Sid

Kyle Iwamoto
04-30-2010, 5:05 PM
Awesome! I like that bottom. How'd you do it?

Bill Bulloch
04-30-2010, 5:55 PM
Awesome! I like that bottom. How'd you do it?

It's a "Floating Bottom". Basically, you rabbet the first ring and drop a 1/4" solid disc into the rabbet, then add the secont ring. Prevents failure from wood movement.

Randy Gazda
04-30-2010, 6:49 PM
That is a great bowl. Not sure I understand the 'floating bottom'?

Great Work.

Baxter Smith
04-30-2010, 7:31 PM
That is randomly random if there is such a thing. Easily my favorite of the ones I have seen you post lately!

Frank Van Atta
04-30-2010, 7:44 PM
Excellent. Couldn't look better if you had planned it.

Richard Madison
04-30-2010, 8:12 PM
Very nice work Bill. You have great looking scraps.

Lori Kleinberg
05-05-2010, 2:45 PM
I love it Bill. If I ever get to do segmenting, I already have a ton of scraps for a start.

John H, I think a floor done like that would be interesting too :eek:. I wonder if you could do them up in sections like bricks or fat tiles to make the layout easier:confused::D

John Hart
05-05-2010, 2:55 PM
...John H, I think a floor done like that would be interesting too :eek:. I wonder if you could do them up in sections like bricks or fat tiles to make the layout easier:confused::D

Yep...that was the plan!! I was going to create tiles until I had enough to do a large section...then lay the tiles...then start over.....then die of old age. ;)

Fred Perreault
05-05-2010, 5:21 PM
What a handsome turning. The joints are fantastic, and the variety of wood is pleasant.

Bill Wyko
05-05-2010, 5:33 PM
A great example of why we, as wood workers, never throw scraps away. Just think, this beautiful piece like this would have been tossed by a mere mortal. Beautiul job Bill. Makes me feel good about my scrap boxes. :)

Keith Burns
05-05-2010, 8:32 PM
I agree Bill, it is a great looking bowl.