PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw

Kirk Miller
04-30-2010, 11:59 AM
I am curious. I have an opportunity to purchase an older Grizzly 14" bandsaw, with riser blocks for $200.00. It only has a 3/4 horsepower motor on it. I am buying it to serve me until I have the cash, and room for a larger model. I will be using it primarily for resaw use. DOubt I will be cutting much more than 6" thickness with it. Will it be underpowered?

Kirk

Brian Greb
04-30-2010, 12:30 PM
It will only be under powered for re-sawing hard dense woods(wide boards) but it will still re-saw'em if you feed slower. But you said you'll be re-sawing 6"ish or less boards so it will be fine.

Reed Gray
04-30-2010, 12:36 PM
With a good blade, sawing 6 inches high should not be any problem. With a dull blade, all sorts of problems. Sawing higher than 6 inches will probably be fine, but slow.

robo hippy

John Hart
04-30-2010, 1:24 PM
That's about the same configuration as mine.('cept no risers) I really don't run into problems at all with 6" stuff, unless I dull my blade on some walnut.....then it's slooooow going.

But generally, I sharpen often and rarely have a problem.

$200 sounds like a pretty good deal

jason lambert
04-30-2010, 1:39 PM
you can do it go slow and get a good blade for wet wood if you are cutting wet wood. It is all about the blade.

Jamie Straw
04-30-2010, 2:42 PM
Grizzly's motors have always done well power-wise in comparison tests with Jet and Delta. As mentioned above, sharp blade is important. I like the Timberwolf blades for my Grizzly 1019Z, an older 14" with riser. You can get them at Woodcraft, packaged under a different name and hiked in price, or you can order them direct from the manufacturer, Suffolk Machinery:
http://www.suffolkmachinery.com

Kirk Miller
04-30-2010, 5:50 PM
Thank you everyone for their inputs. I will be in line at the garage sale tomorrow morning to try to beat everyone there. I was pretty convinced it was a decent deal, and if worse came to worse I doubt I would have any trouble reselling it if I was disapointed. THanks again

Kirk

glenn bradley
04-30-2010, 8:48 PM
Back quite awhile I re-sawed 5" and 6" material on an old C-man 1/3HP. Very slow but doable with a 1/2" 2-3T Timberwolf. Many a saw that size carries a bigger power plant. You may get the saw all dialed in and only have to change the motor down the road and only then if deemed necessary ;-)