PDA

View Full Version : Clearing prickers

Horton Brasses
04-30-2010, 11:58 AM
So we have a little section at the back of our lawn that is a mess. It's just a section of land full of small bushes and prickers, maybe 75 feet wide by 25 feet deep. They are so thick you can't walk through it at all, unless you want to lose a lot of blood. I always liked it this way because there is a drainage pond beyond it and the prickers kept small children from wandering near the water. But that has to change now.

What's the best way to turn this into lawn? We want room for a shed and a new swing set. Should I get the heavy duty gas powered hedge clippers and cut them down? Then what, do I need to roto-till it up? We have very rocky soil. Or am I best off to just hire a landscaper to cut them down and fill with proper topsoil? The area is about a foot lower than the lawn next to it.

Any input?

Matt Meiser
04-30-2010, 12:32 PM
I can't comment on "after" but a trimmer with a brush head will cut it all down pretty quick based on my experience with my new toyl. Or if there's access and you know someone have them brush-hog it which will also mulch it up pretty good. If its low and you want to fill it, I'd have someone do that work or rent proper equipment. That's a LOT of fill to move.

Joe Chritz
04-30-2010, 12:42 PM
If the ground is generally not standing water you can likely just clear most of the brush, til or plow it, prep and seed. You may want to test to soil (check your local ag extension) and see if you need to add anything like lime to modify the PH.

A lot of that you can do on your own but if you have to start renting equipment it may be cheaper to have a contractor til it and run a york rake around.

If the level is to low and to wet you should have some fill added and then do all the above.

Almost forgot: most important thing is water, water and water.

Joe

Sean Troy
04-30-2010, 1:01 PM
In my area, I can rent any type of machine (s) to do the job correctly and have fun at the same time with the cost a tiny fraction of what a landscaper is going to charge you. I would bet it's the same in most areas and most rental shops will deliver to you. Mine doesn't even charge for that.

Horton Brasses
04-30-2010, 1:46 PM
No water issues, except that I can't water grass-my well runs dry. I certainly can rent equipment easily enough-whether I am competent to use it safely is open for debate. Thanks for the input folks. I am leaning towards hiring someone to do it in a day. Time is my most precious possession.

Conrad Fiore
04-30-2010, 2:28 PM
If it's multiflora rose, it won't be easy to remove it for good. Here is a link for MR control.
http://hayandforage.com/mag/farming_nasty_import/