PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw

Brad Vaughn
04-30-2010, 10:45 AM
I am about to buy a new band saw and think I like the
Delta 14" Band Saw with 3/4 HP Motor with Open Stand, Model 28-276
I like that I can upgrade it later from a 6 1/4 12 1/4.
Anyone had a bad experience with this band saw?
The price at woodcraft is in my range.
Thanks for any info
Brad

Cary Falk
04-30-2010, 10:53 AM
I had a 28-206 with a closed stand and 1hp motor. It had a bad vibration problem. I don't know what the price tag is, but I think if I were buying a 14" in todays market I would go with the Grizzly G0555.

John Coloccia
04-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Seriously, the Grizz is probably the way to go, IMHO.

Brian Greb
04-30-2010, 12:24 PM
I have the BS you speak of... I also have a Crapsman 12". I had the C,man before I purchased the Delta. In the 2 years I had the C'man I finally got rid of all most all of the vibration in it. Then I had the opportunity to buy the Delta for cheap... so I did. First impressions of the saw where that it lacked some of the features I have come to enjoy about the C'man(The Delta does not come with a fence, or a lower wheel brush). But I was inpressed with the Delta's lack of vibration straight out of the box. That being said I did spend about an hour dialing her in to make sure that she was set up proper. Now after using it for a bit I will be adding;
(1) Balanced & machine turned pulleys.
(2) a link belt
(3) a riser block kit
One thing on the riser block kit being used on this particular saw is the motor is a 3/4HP so that will limit the re-saw capability... yet I believe I will still be able to re-saw wide less dense woods(think Mahogany as a less dense wood and ebony or rock hard maple as denser woods). All in all I think it's a great saw and would serve you well.
Personally I'm not familiar with the Griz but I haven't herd any thing bad about there products.

Bob Aquino
04-30-2010, 1:21 PM
I've seen that saw at lowes. Compared to the original Delta 14" saw, its pretty crude. I don't have experience with it except for looking it over in the store, but I have plenty of experience with one of the original American made models and I don't think there is a comparison in terms of quality. Its a chinese saw, so if you are bound and determined to buy one new, I would probably go with a Griz or Jet and at least get the benefit of better customer service. If you have the time and inclination to look for one used, then I think you could do a whole lot better. But this is coming from a guy with a whole shop full of these old machines who doesnt mind a bargain and the fun of fixing them up. YMMV.;)

Louie Ballis
04-30-2010, 2:10 PM
I like the gizz. 555 as well. But I have very little experiance (read none) with anything else, but its a lot of saw for the price. Esp. when you install the riser kit.

The included blade, well thats another story.

Good luck

Brian Greb
04-30-2010, 2:20 PM
I've seen that saw at lowes. Compared to the original Delta 14" saw, its pretty crude. I don't have experience with it except for looking it over in the store, but I have plenty of experience with one of the original American made models and I don't think there is a comparison in terms of quality. Its a chinese saw, so if you are bound and determined to buy one new, I would probably go with a Griz or Jet and at least get the benefit of better customer service. If you have the time and inclination to look for one used, then I think you could do a whole lot better. But this is coming from a guy with a whole shop full of these old machines who doesnt mind a bargain and the fun of fixing them up. YMMV.;)

Personally I think all tool companies are swirling around the rim of the big ol' crapper. That said I have had poor customer service. from many companies... including Jet(haven't dealt with Grizzly... but I'm sure there customer service. people could have a bad day too). As for your quality statement all most all tools are made in china or Taiwan to the parent companies design specs...(I've looked at Jet tools in stores and they look piss poor and not highly refined... but they are tools not pieces of art or furniture) so any tool is only as good as the bean-counters will allow. Furthermore I have almost always had good customer service. from Delta.
And yes your "antiquated tools" are made well and made to last but there is that issue of fixing them up... oh and you really get some attitude when you call the company that made them "Sir that tool was discontinued 20 years ago. Perhaps you should get a new one."

Brendan Plavis
04-30-2010, 2:32 PM
I have the Delta you speak of. Its a very good saw. I got it for about $320 at Lowes, worked well out of the 'box'(it was a floor model that I bought.) No vibration, except when you turn it on and off, and when you turn it on with the blade engaged(opps did that once, heck of a scare.) The motor vibrates big time, but thats because its on a hinged mount, so that vibration doesnt get transfered to the chassis.

The customer service is wonderful. I bought the saw, not really expecting such an easy time getting the parts. I figured I would need to haggle with them for the missing parts(knobs, throat insert, a nut(some numb nut lost the nut...etc) Nope. Within 6 days I had the parts, although, they sent out two of the wrong parts, which they corrected, without issue(I now have a spare tensioner, as well as a spare square nut(not sure what this is for.) Although, you might have outsourced tech support. First time I called, I got someone who was most certainly from India. I then got the second time, someone named Rochell, who had a New York Accent.

Over all, I am very pleased, considering that I was able to get it set up very quickly. Now, granted, it is 200lbs, so its no portable tool. The leg supports are a little far down, so its a chore to sweep under, but thats not a problem, if you get on your knees and sweep it out with a dust pan and brush. I have no issues with tracking what so ever(tracks in the middle of the wheel always, and corrects even if it isnt placed 100% on the center.) I will say that I have only tried a 3/8ths blade, so resawing wasnt the best. It is limited in power, so dont expect to resaw quickly(its kinda slow going) but, it rips as fast as I can feed it.

Unfortunately, it doesnt come with a mitre guage nor a fence(made my own.) I did use a mitre guage from my grandfathers table saw, but, the sizes are different, so it is a pain to keep it straight. Not to mention it scrapes the table.

I would recommend it, if you can get it at Lowes for such a cheap price($319+ $5 for a blade.)

It uses a fairly common sized blade, 93.5. But despite what Lowes web site says, it is only single speed. Which isnt a problem, since I have cut lexan/polycarb as well as wood, and I think even a nail mistakenly...(opps...)

There is also a bolt that you can take out, that enables you to drop the table to upwards of 40degrees(thats what the dial goes up to, but have yet to try it, since I like to be able to drop it flat, and not have to worry about playing around getting it to zero) on the left, and upwards of 45 on the right.