PDA

View Full Version : Lenox Tri Master Carbide Band Saw Blade

James Jones
04-30-2010, 10:30 AM
When I purchased my MM-20 band saw I also ordered several blades for it. I installed the Lenox Tri Master carbide for re sawing. No other blade has been on the machine. I purchased the saw about three years ago when MM was in Austin, Tx. The blade was high dollar at the time. I have used it to resaw cherry, basswood, cedar, maple and several other soft to medium woods. I have probably a total of six to seven hours use on the blade. It cut wood like butter. The mistake I made was re sawing some IPE. Now I have to feed wood harder and the blade seems a lot duller. Can the Lenox Trimaster carbon blade be resharpened or do I need to replace. I contacted Sam Blasco and he said he heard the blade cannot be resharpened but people on some forums say it can. He suggested I check with the forums and see what you say. Has anybody ever had one resharpened and where can I send it if it can. Thanks for any information. This blade cost $200.00 + and I learned a lesson about cutting IPE. Hard wood and dulls blades. This blade used to cut glass smooth and fast but now I have to push pretty hard to re saw any wood with it. It still cuts smooth but slower. Thanks and I wish all of you a great day.

James Huntsville, Texas

Ken Garlock
04-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Hello James.

My first inclination is to go to the horses mouth, The Lenox saw people (http://www.lenoxsaw.com/enUS/ContactUs/default.html). If they can't give you the true word, no one can. It is only one 800 number call away.

Say hello to the boys at the state finishing school.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

John Thompson
04-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Ditto Ken.. I can't say personally as I use a Lennox bi-metal but even it will pull 7 hours or better at 1/4 the cost. Then again... I don't cut IPE or any other species that hard. Basically white oak and maple.

Good luck...

bob hertle
04-30-2010, 4:14 PM
Hi James,

I can't tell you where to get it sharpened, but I'll tell you it definitely can be sharpened. I've done mine twice, and it's only a $100.00 half incher. I may get one more grinding out of it, takes me about a half hour including setup. I dulled mine the first time, resawing a bunch of osage orange. I've reduced the hook on mine from 10 degrees to 6.5 degrees and it cuts just as well as new and lasts a little longer. I'm doing this on a "ho-made" cutter grinder, using a "ho-made" fixture, so I would think any competent, well equipped saw shop should have no trouble. 600 grit diamond is what I'm using for a wheel, and I grind only about .005 from the face only, of each tooth.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu208/bjmh46/PDR_0436Medium.jpg

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu208/bjmh46/PDR_0439Medium.jpg

Regards
Bob

Chris Padilla
04-30-2010, 4:35 PM
Bob, looks we should send our blades to YOU! :)

I have a Lenox Trimaster as well...still going strong...mostly cut walnut with it but some maple as well. The Diemaster2 bimetal blade from Lenox also does very well for me.

I have a MM20.

jerry cousins
04-30-2010, 8:07 PM
laguna tools will sharpen the blade for $45. go to their website and there is a form to download and send in with the blade. i have had a blade sharpened but have not used it yet - so do not know the result - was told that they could be sharpened 2, maybe 3 times.
jerry

Frederick Rowe
04-30-2010, 8:50 PM
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu208/bjmh46/PDR_0436Medium.jpgThat's home made?! I'm with Chris, I'll be sending you my blades.

Van Huskey
04-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Jebus, Bob what would not homade look like? Very nice setup.

Robert LaPlaca
05-01-2010, 1:57 PM
laguna tools will sharpen the blade for $45. go to their website and there is a form to download and send in with the blade. i have had a blade sharpened but have not used it yet - so do not know the result - was told that they could be sharpened 2, maybe 3 times.
jerry

Jerry,

The link I saw on Laguna's Web site was re sharping for their own Resaw King blade, just curious have you had Laguna resharpen a Lenox Tri-Master?

jerry cousins
05-01-2010, 2:23 PM
yes - they sharpened a lenox tri-master. i bought a 1" resaw king from them - they were on special for somewhere around $100 - and asked the same question about sharpening the lenox. i had been using the 1/2" lenox for many years ona mm16 and now am really liking the resaw blade - more carbide and maybe it's the 1" beam strength - but cuts are smoother, cleaner, and faster.
just my opinion for sure.
jerry

Robert LaPlaca
05-01-2010, 4:47 PM
yes - they sharpened a lenox tri-master. i bought a 1" resaw king from them - they were on special for somewhere around $100 - and asked the same question about sharpening the lenox. i had been using the 1/2" lenox for many years ona mm16 and now am really liking the resaw blade - more carbide and maybe it's the 1" beam strength - but cuts are smoother, cleaner, and faster.
just my opinion for sure.
jerry

Cool thanks, bet they are going to get quite a few inquires from Lenox Tri-Master owners..