PDA

View Full Version : # plys in plywood v. plywood strength?

Jesse Tutterrow
04-30-2010, 8:37 AM
For a given thickness of plywood, say 1/2 inch, I know that you can get variations of plywood with different number of plys. Sheathing is usually 3 ply, popular or birch plywood is 5 ply, and I have seen 7 ply.

So, if you were to build a cabinet for the shop, would you be concerned about the number of plys?

Does more plys increase the strength noticeable?

Thanks in Advance,

Jesse

Chris Damm
04-30-2010, 12:11 PM
You won't notice the difference for shop cabinets. I wouldn't use sheathing though.

Mitchell Andrus
04-30-2010, 1:05 PM
For a given thickness of plywood, say 1/2 inch, I know that you can get variations of plywood with different number of plys. Sheathing is usually 3 ply, popular or birch plywood is 5 ply, and I have seen 7 ply.

So, if you were to build a cabinet for the shop, would you be concerned about the number of plys?

Does more plys increase the strength noticeable?

Thanks in Advance,

Jesse

For pieces as small as 24 x 30 or so, I think you'd see little difference because of plies alone except for the 3 ply stuff. 5 or 7 plies are better, of course. The species of wood will make a bigger difference. I'd stick to 3/4" for strength and stability though. 1/2" will be more likely to take changes in humidity as permission to bow a bit.

For more:

http://www.apawood.org/level_c.cfm?content=pub_ply_libmain

David Prince
04-30-2010, 2:35 PM
The more plys the more stable it is (in general)