PDA

View Full Version : My first lathe?

Rob Price
04-30-2010, 8:34 AM
Okay, time to cross over (I think). I'm contemplating a lathe purchase. I've looked at Craig's List here, but I live in a relatively small town, not a whole lot in the surrounding areas- the used ones I can find look REALLY old and need work. I barely have time to work on wood in my shop, I don't want to spend time restoring an old machine.

What's prompted this is my current project could really benefit from some round columns to dress it up a bit. I've made a couple of pens on my uncle's midi lathe, and maybe it's time to learn a new skill set.

Like any other tool, I know you experts here have very nice top end tools, but I need to start in the $500 range. I don't need all the bells and whistles, but I don't want junk either. I lean towards the Grizz just because it seems to offer the most HP and bed size for the buck.

So far, it looks like I'm down to this Grizz:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Wood-Lathe-With-Digital-Readout/G0462
It seems like a lot of machine for the money. 2HP, good distance between centers, what's the catch?

I can get this Jet with the extension table for a little less:
http://www.amazon.com/1014I-Inch-Indexing-Mini-Lathe/dp/B000MIR9JA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1272631114&sr=8-3

I'm guessing this is the same as the Grizz:
http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W1758-Lathe-Stand/dp/B0019CGYLM/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1272631169&sr=1-10

Rikon with extension:
http://www.amazon.com/RIKON-70-100-12-by-16-Inch-Mini-Lathe/dp/B002FB74YM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1272631323&sr=1-3

And this seems like a lot of money for a small lathe:
http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Midi-Lathe-Variable-Speed/dp/B00309ZZRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1272631376&sr=1-1

I know just a little about lathes. I'm currently reading a beginner's book (can't remember the author, I'm at work right now). Mostly spindles, table legs, etc to get started. I wouldn't mind some smaller pieces and bowls either once I learn the ropes if I can do that on these.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Alan Zenreich
04-30-2010, 9:02 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the Delta 46-460 is not a lot of money for a small lathe. It's a lot of small lathe for the money.

It has been consistantly well reviewed in the press and by those who have bought them. I upgraded my wife's previous 1/2 hp six speed Delta LA200 to this 1 hp variable speed lathe a few months ago and could not be more pleased with this variable speed lathe.

Unless you're going to turn bowls larger than 12" in diameter, this lathe will serve you very well for a long long time. You can add a bed extension if you need to do long spindle work.. The lathe has the power, smoothness and quietness to provide a great turning experience.

Our other lathe is a Nova DVR XP, a 16" machine, but that's 3 or 4 times the price of the Delta 46-460.

I'm sure others will chime in on your options. You really can't go too far wrong with any of the lathes you mentioned... it's a matter of finding the right fit for you.

Aaron Wingert
04-30-2010, 9:03 AM
Your choices that you linked definitely aren't apples to apples. Gotta look at what kind of projects you want to do with it. :confused:

The Jet 1014 for instance is only going to be able to turn 14" between centers, and if you add a chuck to hold the workpiece you're down to more like 10". Obviously the bed extensions are an option you're aware of. The mini/midi lathes lack the horsepower to really turn large forms like you may eventually want to, but for projects like rolling pins, spindles, pepper mills, bun feet and pens they're more than adequate.

I've never looked over a Grizzly lathe but you get a lot more for your money. A Jet with comparable specs would be at least twice the price.

You've got to know that the lathe is a lesser investment than the tools and equipment that you'll need to do your woodturning. A good selection of tools will set you back hundreds. Add a chuck at $150. Then you've got to be able to sharpen your tools at regular intervals during turning. Calipers and all the other "necessary" gadgets really add up as well. That's why we turners refer to our addiction as "the vortex". Even to become lightly addicted you're going to have to spend a few bills more than the cost of the lathe.

Prashun Patel
04-30-2010, 9:05 AM
If you're in the MIDI range, the Delta 46-460 seems to get the most positive responses. That's why I got it. The best price you'll be able to achieve is from Toolnut.

Penn State Industries offers what looks like a version of this lathe for a couple hundred less. Seems to have the same specs and a few more bells and whistles. Have not heard any reviews about it.

Alan Trout
04-30-2010, 9:08 AM
Personally I think the new Delta is the best lathe going in a small lathe. Good power, swing, easy belt range changes and the fit and finish IMHO is the best of the lathes listed. I have turned on one several times now and it will last you for some time even if you decide later that you want a full size lathe. And I warn you that most of us end up with that big lathe. However you will still want to keep the Delta and enjoy it for years to come.

Good Luck

Alan

Lance kanaby
04-30-2010, 9:52 AM
I am not a big fan of Griz lathes. Remember the old addage, you get what you pay for. In this case it might even be less, just my opinion after turning on some of these lathes. I don't mean to be a snob, but at $500 dollars you don't get a lot in a bigger lathe. Craft Supplies and Woodcraft run specials on the Nova 1624-44 and get the price down to around $800.

Rob Price
04-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. I realize there are tools and calipers and grinders and other expenses. Again, I won't be getting the BEST chuck and the BEST chisels, etc right off the bat until I get sucked into the vortex... baby steps into the vortex...

I don't know if it's apples to apples, but when I first got into woodworking in general I started with basic tools, learned how to use those and what I needed and didn't need for my uses, and when those either died or lost their usefulness the next purchase was the 'big ticket' item once I knew enough about it to know what I needed (see my cabinet saw). I honestly don't think I would appreciate what I have now, and really how to use it well, without starting small scale. I guess some people just buy the top of the line up front and never look back. I'm worried about spending thousands on a big boy and not really using it to it's full potential, or that it's more than what I need it to do.

I've read a lot of good stuff about the Delta here, it just stretches things a bit. Wanted to see what others thought about the competition...

Roger Chandler
04-30-2010, 10:27 AM
the shop fox and the grizzly you listed are the same lathe, you are correct. I have the Grizzly G0698 18x47 and it is an entirely different and better animal to be sure.

If you don't need to turn long furniture parts then the Delta will be a great machine for $599.00 but I think there might be a bed extension available for upgrading it in the future for longer spindle turning.

All the reviews for the Delta midi are good, and it has a great loyal following among turners who have it, and have used it to their delight. That speaks volumes.

You won't go wrong with it, and it has great features, especially for the $$$$.

Jeff Fagen
04-30-2010, 10:39 AM
I bought the Ricon with extention and have been well pleased with it.
The only thing I changed was the round cleats under the banjo and tailstock and up graded to square ones that work perfectly.
I've turned large bowls with no problem.
Just mount on a sturdy weighted stand. :D

Bill Bolen
04-30-2010, 10:56 AM
The Rikon mini has a pretty good rep and Highland woodworking has it on sale for $270...Bill..

Thom Sturgill
04-30-2010, 11:50 AM
The 'catches' with the griz/Shop fox are two
- The lowest speed (600rpm) is a bit high for anything but spindle work.
- The articulated tool rest is apparently also a problem.
It also has manual speed change. If you can work with the tool rest issues, it would probably be a good machine for turning legs, etc. but not bowls.

The Jet 1014 (1/2hp) is on the low end of the power scale, again only for (small) spindle work. Its available both manual and electronic speed change.
Its big brother, the JWL1220, has 3/4 hp and 12" swing. I've made several bowls and Hollow forms on mine. Bed extensions are available for both, but hp and torque are limiting factors if you get too much mass spinning.

The Rikon fits somewhere between to two Jets IMHO.

The Delta seems *much* better power-wise (1 hp), has electronic variable speed, reversing (for sanding), very quiet, and when equipped with a bed extension can compete with most full size bench lathes.

David Warkentin
04-30-2010, 12:02 PM
I have the 0462 and am happy with it for the most part. I have replaced the tool rest with the one from the other 16 inch grizzly. And yes, the speed is a little high on the bottom end. Thinking about changing that to a 3 phase motor and controller. Wish I could have afforded a jet or even the 18 inch that grizzly just came out with. Maybe someday.:)

Bernie Weishapl
04-30-2010, 12:13 PM
IMHO I would look at the Rikon or the Delta 46-460. Pretty hard to beat either one for the money. I would also look at the Jet 1220 VS. Also give a look see at the Turncrafter Pro 12 1/2" VS for $399 from Penn State Industries. My friend just purchased one with bed extension for I think $460. Low speed is good at 150 rpm if turning bowls and up to 4000 for spindle turning. I got to turn a lidded box and a 11" bowl on it. It had plenty of power and worked really well.

alex carey
04-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Rob you still haven't told us what you plan to make, bowls, long spindles, hollowforms or all of the above?

Jon McElwain
04-30-2010, 12:33 PM
+1 for the Delta. Love turning on it when I'm not using my Oneway 2436. It seems like a typical progression for folks to buy a quality mini or midi, then later purchase a larger lathe and keep both. You won't be sorry about the Delta, short term or long term. If you don't have the $$, go out to the garage and find some crap to sell! You know it's out there....

Rob Price
04-30-2010, 1:35 PM
lots of votes for the delta is hard to ignore. Penn State is interesting too with a 1HP model...

I think like most I'm starting with spindles/legs/pens etc but I'm sure once I get my hands on it I'll be looking to try bowls/hollow forms, etc. But for now, spindles and such. I do plan on some longer pieces, so I think I'll need the 1HP motor or more.

Keep the comments coming though...