PDA

View Full Version : Problem with LED Display on Powrmatic 4224

Tom Davis
04-30-2010, 6:41 AM
The LED display on my wife's 4224 is failing intermittently. I plan to disassemble it this weekend and see if anything is obviously loose and easily corrected. Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem and any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

Steve Schlumpf
04-30-2010, 2:16 PM
Tom - chances are there is a loose or broken wire. I would check inside the head - in back of the controls and see if something didn't just wiggle loose.

Good luck with this! Looking forward to finding out what the fix was!

Tim Rinehart
04-30-2010, 3:20 PM
Not sure off hand if the receiver is optical or magnetic, but while checking for loose wires, be sure to make blow out inside the drive head area. You should see an area on the spindle with 4 bolt heads equally spaced around the spindle, and a little device very close to it...that's the speed pickup sensor, and it will be connected to the LED.
I suspect it's a magnetic type pickup looking at passes of the bolt-heads, which means if no loose wires are found, unlikely a little dust would affect it's operation, but won't hurt to blow out.

Hopefully..just a problem with loose wire to LED display from pickup.

Slide connections can be prone to loss of good conduction due to fretting corrosion...basically just build up of oxides, etc. When you take it apart, clean the connections well, including light sanding to get shiny again, and see if that helps. There are special dielectric greases (available at hardware stores I suspect also) that help avoid that corrosion.

Hope to hear that does it...about $300 for new sensor/LED...don't think sold separately.