PDA

View Full Version : Question for mini lathe owners

Alan Tolchinsky
11-17-2004, 3:46 PM
Hi all, I was considering a mini lathe and wondered how you change the speed on them? Is it such a pain that it's worth getting the variable speed model for $100 more? Could anybody please give a brief description of how you change the speed on these? Thanks Alan

James Farrow
11-17-2004, 4:21 PM
According to the manual (not much of one) that I got with the Jet lathe, you open up the side panel (hatch) and move the belt from one set of pulleys to another set. There is a lever that raises the motor up to make the belt slack so you can switch it. When done, you lower the motor and it takes the slack out.

I haven't tried it yet bit it seems it would be relatively easy.

BTW, I heard that the VS (Variable Speed) Jet ones still have pulleys.

Wirh the non-VS one you get one speed per pulley placement, the VS one gives you a couple, or more, speeds per placement. But you still have to switch the belt to a different set of pulleys from time to time depending on what speed you want.

At least I think that is the way it works.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

James :)

Halsey MCCombs
11-17-2004, 4:31 PM
Only takes 30 sec on the Delta to change but I understand the VS is even better.Halsey

Dick Parr
11-17-2004, 4:35 PM
Alan, In hind site the VS would have been better for me, but even with my arthritis's I don't really have a problem changing the speed. Don't change it that often anyways.

Michael Stafford
11-17-2004, 4:45 PM
I prefer the VS model for no other reason than they allow you to "fine tune" your speed because you are not limited to one or the other when somewhere in between is better. Changing the belts and pulleys around is not difficult or that time consuming but you are limited to whatever speed combinations the manufacturer has chosen.

Barbara Gill
11-17-2004, 8:18 PM
I have a Mercury as a second lathe. It has three pully positions and a VS. Usually I just use the VS and son't change pullys. It is a great lathe for my 7 yo grandauchter to learn on and a good demo lathe. It is also really good for making small pieces.

Charles McKinley
11-17-2004, 8:42 PM
HI Alan,

I think it is Popular Woodworking that has an article on the various mini lathes. I think the Jet was their top pick. If you have large hands you may have problems getting them into the area where you change the belts. That is the only complaint I have heard on it.

David Mills
11-17-2004, 9:04 PM
I have a Jet Mini Lathe, and I would not spend the exta $$ for the vs, it is too easy to change the belt speed, that money could be spent on something better.

Alan Tolchinsky
11-17-2004, 11:13 PM
but I'll check out the Mercury, Barb. I don't think I need variable speed on this by the sounds of it. Thanks again. Alan in Md.

Craig Fyock
11-18-2004, 1:09 AM
I have a Non-Variable Mini-Jet and love it. I also have an older , larger Rockwell Delta variable. I would use the extra $100 in savings and use it buy a Talon Chuck (the $100 is half way there) or other tools and acc.

Bobby McCarley
11-18-2004, 8:20 PM
Hello Alann I have the non VS jet mini and enjoy it very much. When I was looking for mine, I looked at both and tried both. They both have a step pulley that you change the belt on and its not that hard to do nor does it take that long. Also the salesman told me that the VS model loses some of its torque. I think since I've had mine I've changed the speed maybe 2 or 3 times. JMHO

Bobby McCarley

Alan Tolchinsky
11-19-2004, 11:01 AM
Hello Alann I have the non VS jet mini and enjoy it very much. When I was looking for mine, I looked at both and tried both. They both have a step pulley that you change the belt on and its not that hard to do nor does it take that long. Also the salesman told me that the VS model loses some of its torque. I think since I've had mine I've changed the speed maybe 2 or 3 times. JMHO

Bobby McCarley

Bobby, Thanks for your insight; the non variable speed model makes the most sense to me. Alan