PDA

View Full Version : What is a Millers Falls 16c worth?

Kenneth Moar
04-30-2010, 2:00 AM
I have an oppourtunity make an offer on a Millers Falls 16c block plane, with adjustable mouth. The plane is in good to excellent condition. Hoping someone here could suugest a reasonable offer.
The MF price guide suggests$15 to $30. I think I would pay more than that. The plane seems the equal of current offerings at higher prices. Any thoughts appreciated.
I'd like to have it as a user as well as just to have a Millers Falls item.

Thanks
Ken

Jim Koepke
04-30-2010, 2:16 AM
If the plane is in good condition and you feel like offering as much, then $30 for a block plane does not seem too outrageous from the point of the seller or the buyer.

I am not familiar with Millers Falls Planes. I have seen them, but I haven't used them.

jim

scott spencer
04-30-2010, 4:47 AM
That guide sounds about right. There are probably several on the "Bay" up for auction or for sale outright that might help guide you.

Dave Matson
04-30-2010, 6:47 PM
Never heard of a 16c before. Do you mean 16-CG?

The 16 is the same as a stanley 9 1/2. As the price guide says, "Condition is all", so if its in nice shape its worth it. While its cool to bring a rusted hulk of a tool back from the dead, its often easier just to fork over a little extra to get something thats pretty to look at.
I found a MF 17 in a junk store once in its original box and in excellent shape. The dude wanted $28 for it. I got it for $20 along with a bunch of other stuff. I guess his sales were slow.

Kenneth Moar
05-03-2010, 9:52 PM
Thanks to all for the replies. I was a bit puzzled about the 16C marking, perhaps I missed the G somehow. I guess I won't be getting this plane after all, seller wants to keep it, I thought I might change his mind, but no.
Thanks
Ken

Kenneth Moar
05-03-2010, 9:55 PM
To Dave :p $20 bucks!!