PDA

View Full Version : Pens of the Laminated Variaty

James Combs
04-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Here's another batch of sibling and in-law pens. They have been made to order for my siblings, in-laws, nieces and nephews. The previous post of "Run of the Mill" pens were for the same purpose. What all these words are really saying is that I actually dislike some of them:eek: but I guess there is no accounting for in-laws taste.:rolleyes: As with the previous batch the finish is one coat of CA, a couple coats each of Hut Crystal Coat and Hut Stick Wax. They are all commercial Diamond Wood Laminate except for the click Sierra. It is red oak. I like it the least of the bunch. The finish is fine but it is too light for that big pen (a brother-in-law's request:rolleyes:).

Hmmm, hope none of my siblings or in-laws-read this forum.:eek:

John Terefenko
04-30-2010, 12:16 AM
James I think you are underestimating yourself. You did a great job with all the pens and they have their appeal. I would say job well done and all parties will be happy I am sure. Thanks for showing.

John Keeton
04-30-2010, 6:41 AM
I am going to jump in here and show my complete lack of taste!! I like the red oak pen!! JD, you did a great job on all of them, but the diamond wood laminate doesn't do anything for me.

But, I think the oak one has an understated elegance to it - sort of a masculine look.

Ted Evans
04-30-2010, 8:04 AM
I agree with John, nice job.

David E Keller
04-30-2010, 8:22 AM
Nice work on the whole bunch... I like the 3rd one and the oak pen mostly because I prefer the sleek, bushing-to-bushing look.

Steve Schlumpf
04-30-2010, 8:57 AM
Nice work on all the pens James! Just personal tastes but I find I like the oak pen best! Hope they all like their pens!

Baxter Smith
04-30-2010, 10:21 AM
They all look good, but the one I would put in my pocket would be the oak. :)

Bernie Weishapl
04-30-2010, 12:18 PM
James those are a great looking bunch of pens. I do like the 3rd one but the oak Sierra is really classy.

John Hart
04-30-2010, 2:05 PM
yup...I'd pocket the oak in a heartbeat. Nice work.

James Combs
04-30-2010, 10:16 PM
I am going to jump in here and show my complete lack of taste!! I like the red oak pen!! JD, you did a great job on all of them, but the diamond wood laminate doesn't do anything for me.

But, I think the oak one has an understated elegance to it - sort of a masculine look.

John, I will bring them all with me Thursday and then tell me what you think when you see them in person. The photos do more then just "do them justice" I think the photos actually enhance the pens. The oak is not as good looking in person as it is in the photo. Like I mention initially it is too light for such a large and grand pen.

Lori Kleinberg
05-05-2010, 2:33 PM
James , I think the pens all came out looking good, but I am also new to this so what do I know ;). I like the oak pen the best. Maybe something to darken it up for
better contrast again the gold coloring.
Thanks for sharing.