PDA

View Full Version : A Glock Box for Rachel

Gene Howe
04-29-2010, 7:15 PM
My first pistol presentation box. First time working with Mesquite.
Top panel is what is colloquially referred to as "Cat's Claw" Mesquite.
The box is for my DIL.
Mesquite, Walnut, leather and Turquoise.
Third pic seems a little washed out. Got the camera and a decoder ring for box tops.

Thanks for looking.

Bruce Page
04-29-2010, 7:30 PM
Your Glock box Rocks!
The only thing to make it better would be a lock on your Glock box.

Gene Howe
04-29-2010, 7:39 PM
Your Glock box Rocks!

Thanks, Bruce.
Rachel put the knocks on locks for the Glock's box.
Said she wanted to have it next to the bed and didn't want the fiddle with a lock.

Andrew Gibson
04-29-2010, 10:32 PM
The box looks great.
Make sure Rachel practices pleanty. Nothing more awsome then a Girl that can show up all the boys at the range.

I have to brag on my fiance. The first time she shot a handgun she put 50 rounds inside the 8 ring on a silhouette with my frineds Taurus 24/7 .45 cal. from 10 yards.
The range guy said he was not going to get on her bad side...

Gene Howe
04-30-2010, 7:26 AM
The box looks great.
Make sure Rachel practices pleanty. Nothing more awsome then a Girl that can show up all the boys at the range.

I have to brag on my fiance. The first time she shot a handgun she put 50 rounds inside the 8 ring on a silhouette with my frineds Taurus 24/7 .45 cal. from 10 yards.
The range guy said he was not going to get on her bad side...

Thanks, Andrew.
50 in the 8 ring ain't too shabby. Be nice to her!
Rachel's dad was a SEAL. She's proficient with several weapons. She's been shooting since she was 8 years old. At 4'11", maybe? 120 lbs, and very pretty, I'm happy she's good with guns.

Art Mulder
04-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks, Bruce.
Rachel put the knocks on locks for the Glock's box.

Okay, we need some more Dr Seuss homages in this thread! :D

Belinda Barfield
04-30-2010, 1:56 PM
Very nice! I like it a lot.

She would not shoot you on a train,
She would not shoot you on a plane,
She would not shoot you in a boat,
Or even if you smell like a goat.

She would shoot you in her house,
She would shoot if you harmed her spouse,
She would shoot if you posed a danger,
Particularly if you were a stranger.

She would not have a lock for the Glock.
She would not have this her access block.
She may be tiny and not look like a threat,
But Rachel Rocks! On that you can bet!

Not very Seussical but the best I can do this late in the week . . . before happy hour . . .

Zach England
04-30-2010, 3:09 PM
very pretty, I'm happy she's good with guns.

Sounds like a fox with that glock box.

Mike Archambeau
04-30-2010, 5:09 PM
Very nice! I like it a lot.

She would not shoot you on a train,
She would not shoot you on a plane,
She would not shoot you in a boat,
Or even if you smell like a goat.

She would shoot you in her house,
She would shoot if you harmed her spouse,
She would shoot if you posed a danger,
Particularly if you were a stranger.

She would not have a lock for the Glock.
She would not have this her access block.
She may be tiny and not look like a threat,
But Rachel Rocks! On that you can bet!

Not very Seussical but the best I can do this late in the week . . . before happy hour . . .

Thanks for that....had a great laugh....very creative!!

Gene Howe
04-30-2010, 5:42 PM
Belinda, that was great!!!
Thank you!!!
Gene...a very proud FIL

Mark Valsi
04-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Hope she never has to use it in anger, but if she does, I hope she blows the S.O.B. into hades !!

Joe Chritz
04-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Your Glock box Rocks!

Would look better with a Sig Sauer in there but a fine looking box none the less. I do like the mesquite.

Joe

Brian Effinger
04-30-2010, 10:44 PM
I like the box Gene, especially the turquoise inlay. Well done! :)

Well, let's see what you come up with after having a few. ;) It might be interesting. :D

Jon Lanier
04-30-2010, 11:03 PM
That is a really nice piece. Functional as well!

Mike Hicks
05-01-2010, 4:20 PM
Very cool box and workmanship. Also very cool that Rachel know how to use that weapon.

John Keeton
05-01-2010, 6:49 PM
Nice wood, great box, cool Glock, and an even better DIL!! Good work all around, Gene!

Rick Markham
05-02-2010, 8:47 PM
Gorgeous box Gene! I really like the the mesquite with the turquois, Did you inlay the turquois?

Would look better with a Sig Sauer in there but a fine looking box none the less. I do like the mesquite.

Joe Uh Oh... this could become one of those controversial threads :rolleyes: The only thing I am going to say... Is I like my handguns like I like my handplanes... Handcrafted by a master... Just like my nightstand piece... My friend good 'ole Ed Brown! :D

Eric Nickerson
05-03-2010, 12:01 AM
The box looks great, nice job. I really like the turquois, it looks like the wood grew around it.

Gene Howe
05-03-2010, 8:06 AM
Thanks guys!
The turquoise is first ground into very small pieces, almost dust.
The cavities were natural to the mesquite, tho designs could be routed.
Because the cavities were through and through, the back side was taped off and about 1/4" of epoxy was poured in each cavity and allowed to harden. Then the turquoise was poured in each cavity followed by two part epoxy, allowed to harden, then sanded with a belt sander from 80 through 150 grit, followed by the RO up to 220 and finally hand sanded to 320. The turquoise material could be mixed with the epoxy, then poured into the cavities but the appearance of solid turquoise would probably not be maintained.
Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

Rick Markham
05-03-2010, 11:24 AM
That's really ingenious Gene, I never would have thought about trying something like that. It looks like a naturally occurring vein of turquoise in the mesquite. Very cool and original.

Tom Rick
05-03-2010, 1:50 PM
Great box- nicely done.

Bedside boxes are good but it is a PITA (for me), to remember to stash the things when away from the house.

Rick Markham
05-04-2010, 3:33 AM
Tom, it's an easily solved problem here in Florida... It goes with me, when I go ;)

You have inspired me Gene, I think I need to make a box for me ;) that will be a new project for me. I am used to making them for everyone else LOL

Stephen McGregor
05-13-2010, 2:48 PM
Great job. Currently working on a walnut dueling pistol box. After that, I have a pair of Colt's Single actions, one with Ivory and one with Stag grips. Then I have a pair of Cimarron's with Tru Ivory Grips, so I have boxes out there to build :) I may not however put half mortis locks on the Colt Boxes...

Joe Chritz
05-14-2010, 4:42 PM
Gorgeous box Gene! I really like the the mesquite with the turquois, Did you inlay the turquois?

Uh Oh... this could become one of those controversial threads :rolleyes: The only thing I am going to say... Is I like my handguns like I like my handplanes... Handcrafted by a master... Just like my nightstand piece... My friend good 'ole Ed Brown! :D

Ed Brown makes some fantastic hardware.

I have shot a few custom .45's over the years. The nicest so far was the Les Baer. I love the single action design but since I am in LE and my choice of sidearm is made for me I want to stick to just one action style.

You do have good taste in handguns though, that is for sure.

Joe

Tony Shea
05-15-2010, 3:22 PM
Good old Ed Brown equipment. You must be doing all right to be carrying around Ed Brown equipment. Got the Special Forces Ed Brown at the top of my list and have been saving for it for some time now. Boy I just love the feel and function of Ed Brown equipment and think no other 1911 can stand a chance side by side. My first and only Ed Brown is the Cobra Carry and the thing never leaves my side. It's above and beyond any gun I've ever carried/shot and have become a complete Ed Brown convert since buying it. I used to be a Kimber fan but since the Cobra entered my life I can't even look at Kimbers anymore. Ed Brown has turned me into a 1911 snob.

Oh and the box is great. I agree that this project was a great spark for a future box project for myself and some of my handguns. The inlay work really turns this box from ordinary to extrordinary. Very nice job and really love the fact that this project covers both of my favorite things to do in my spare time, wood and guns!

Chas Fuggetta
05-15-2010, 6:08 PM
That is truly a beautiful piece of work!

One question: Is Rachel a left hand shooter?

Gene Howe
05-15-2010, 6:18 PM
No, Chas. She's a rightie. I asked her how to place the piece and that's how she wanted it.
Gene

Rick Markham
05-18-2010, 3:24 AM
Joe, it's allways good to practice and keep what we are most familiar/proficient with!
Tony, not sure how well I am doing, but I am a firm believer in buying tools once, and after all it's just another tool. Mine is a Special Forces, and I will admit it was a lot like my recent experience with Ron Brese's new smoother he let me handle at a recent Lie Nielsen show. I picked it up, and it felt "right" not too many things fit me so perfectly. I just happened to luck out at the Lie Nielsen show... I didn't have the cash to throw down on Ron's plane. Although I did tell him my intentions on saving my pennies for one. He let me know that he will make me one when I do. I just hope I'm not old and gray by the time I can. LOL

Gene, the LOML has been keeping me busy, and I have a memorial box I am trying to finish up for a dear friend who recently lost his wife as a gift, Once I get that wrapped up, I have all the intentions of building myself a box (we know how intentions work though.) You definitely have inspired me! I hope she loves it and never has to worry about using it's contents. It's cool you built it exactly to her specifications, we all tend to be very picky and particular when it comes to arrangements and placements of tools that may require pure muscle memory under stress, without conscious thought ;) I think your DIL ended up with a cool FIL :D

Gene Howe
05-18-2010, 7:47 AM
You definitely have inspired me! I hope she loves it and never has to worry about using it's contents. It's cool you built it exactly to her specifications, we all tend to be very picky and particular when it comes to arrangements and placements of tools that may require pure muscle memory under stress, without conscious thought ;) I think your DIL ended up with a cool FIL :D

Thanks a lot, Rick.
Rachel is quite proficient with that little "Baby Glock" (and a number of other fire arms, as well). I, too hope she NEVER has to use it. But, it's there, if she does.
Soon hopefully, there will be one for her hubby's side of the bed, too.

Rick Markham
05-19-2010, 9:53 AM
Very nice, I can't wait to see what you come up with this time! Definitely show us!

Chris Williams 2975
05-24-2010, 9:16 PM
If I may ask Gene...how do you go about grinding Turquoise? Thanks and BEAUTIFUL box!!! And congrats on what sounds like a very cool DIL!!

Hans Braul
05-29-2010, 9:17 AM
The Glock Box Rocks! Don't mean to mock, but why did you block the lock idea? One thing if it's to store sock or rocks, but Glocks?? Sounds ad hoc. I'm shocked.

Tick tock, tick tock .....

Hans

Gene Howe
05-29-2010, 10:27 AM
If I may ask Gene...how do you go about grinding Turquoise? Thanks and BEAUTIFUL box!!! And congrats on what sounds like a very cool DIL!!
Thanks Chris! Rachel is one neat gal, for sure.
Turquoise is not one of the harder stones. I started with chunks about 1" in dia. Then, used a "mortar and pestle", a piece of drill rod, a piece of 1/4" steel plate for the bottom and a 6" length of 8" well casing sits loose on the plate.
Pound sift, pound sift...etc. Rainy day activity.:D

Gene Howe
05-29-2010, 10:46 AM
The Glock Box Rocks! Don't mean to mock, but why did you block the lock idea? One thing if it's to store sock or rocks, but Glocks?? Sounds ad hoc. I'm shocked.

Tick tock, tick tock .....

Hans

Handy is Dandy!
Beside the bed, protects the homestead.
Her request to be quickly accessed. I acquiesced. :D

Joe Mioux
05-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Ditto, especially the Turquoise inlay and the Belinda's poem!